Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Faith?

danydandan

Faith, a question!  

40 members have voted

1. 1. When you hear, see or read the word faith. What is your first interpretation that pops into your head?

• Complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
    • Strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.
    • A particular religion.
    • A strongly held belief.
    • An amalgamation of either two or all of the above.

I usually write faith or Faith. The latter to indicate the religious definitions and the aforementioned to indicate the trust definition.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 5

I voted the first option because in modren times people use the term faith in many abstract ways. 

People have faith in innate good of people, faith in their ability to overcome whatever happens, etc.

I would argue there are people I have "faith in", freinds, family, etc. People I trust to do the right thing.

• Like 2

In everyday language, I use the first definition: complete trust or confidence.

In discussing religious matters, obviously the meaning changes. Mostly to 2, 3 and 4.

• Like 2

I bloody contaminated my own poll. I meant to pick option one.

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I bloody contaminated my own poll. I meant to pick option one.

The mark of a true scientist! :D 

• Haha 6

I picked the last option but I should of picked the first.

There is a difference between "trust" and "faith". 

I have neither and depend upon myself to accomplish things. If somebody jumps in to help. OK. But I depend on nothing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

The mark of a true scientist! :D 

Tell me about it!

• Haha 3

It would serve us better with the survey if we expounded on more than a definition that pops into our heads at first seeing the word faith. And for a representation of faith in a religious background I can cite Hebrews 11 as to what is mostly understood by Christians, in general. However, I particularly like Jesus' rendition of the essence of faith.

19Afterward the disciples came to Jesus privately and asked, “Why couldn’t we drive it out?” 20“Because you have so little faith,” He answered. “For truly I tell you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”

https://biblehub.com/niv/hebrews/11.htm

1Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. 2This is what the ancients were commended for.

11 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Tell me about it!

You need to stay away from a certain group of metals for a while. At least until you screw your head on straight. :o

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Piney said:

I picked the last option but I should of picked the first.

There is a difference between "trust" and "faith". 

I have neither and depend upon myself to accomplish things. If somebody jumps in to help. OK. But I depend on nothing. 

I would argue that you are saying you have faith in yourself.

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

You need to stay away from a certain group of mentals for a while. At least until you screw your head on straight. :o

I think you made a typo.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I would argue that you are saying you have faith in yourself.

Trust in myself. :yes:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

It would serve us better with the survey if we expounded on more than a definition that pops into our heads at first seeing the word faith. And for a representation of faith in a religious background I can cite Hebrews 11 as to what is mostly understood by Christians, in general. However, I particularly like Jesus' rendition of the essence of faith.

19Afterward the disciples came to Jesus privately and asked, “Why couldn’t we drive it out?” 20“Because you have so little faith,” He answered. “For truly I tell you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”

https://biblehub.com/niv/hebrews/11.htm

1Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. 2This is what the ancients were commended for.

That's pointless, why would we require anymore details? That would make the poll too complex.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, danydandan said:

That's pointless

Wannbe doomsday prophets usually are. :yes:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, danydandan said:

That's pointless, why would we require anymore details? That would make the poll too complex.

So would the poll, if we are wanting to know what faith is, truly. Was it not an offspring of the other thread on the sacrifice made by Jesus, and also other discussions raging on for the definition of religious faith and trust?

And are not comments also being posted along with the selection of the choices offered?

Anyway life is complex and so is the choice of faith, especially if it's a product of evolution to help our specie cope with survival.

A poll is just a poll without the essence. It's like asking if you will or will not vote for a political candidate, without asking the reasons for or not voting for the candidate.

1 minute ago, Pettytalk said:

So would the poll, if we are wanting to know what faith is, truly. Was it not an offspring of the other thread on the sacrifice made by Jesus, and also other discussions raging on for the definition of religious faith and trust?

And are not comments also being posted along with the selection of the choices offered?

Anyway life is complex and so is the choice of faith, especially if it's a product of evolution to help our specie cope with survival.

A poll is just a poll without the essence. It's like asking if you will or will not vote for a political candidate, without asking the reasons for or not voting for the candidate.

But on second thought, seeing who is participating, and their childish and repetive, meaningless comments, I agree, we should juck place a checkmark and take count of hands.

1 hour ago, danydandan said:

I usually write faith or Faith. The latter to indicate the religious definitions and the aforementioned to indicate the trust definition.

I've encountered the Faith (definite article + big-F Faith) when somebody is talking about a specific religion, usually their own, and especially if it's the same religion as the audience. In other words, the usual "proper noun capitalization" maneuver, for denoting a specific thing, with the context clarifying which specific religion is meant. I can't recall seeing (apart from your posts, now that you mention it) big-F Faith, but no definite article.

Anyway, I picked the last option in the poll, the amalgam. I follow the @Jodie.Lynne rule.

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

If I had asked, what people's definition of faith is this would/will turn into a thread like every other. It needed/needs parameters, the most appropriate way to get to some consensus is to use these parameters. In this case the definition of the word faith as outlined by the Oxford English Dictionary.

Edit: Like as of right now we can say the majority of voters have selected option one. If I had asked for everyone's opinion or their own special definition we'd have gotten nowhere. I think.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

To me Faith is what I have in God's overcare and guidance. Faith in his Fatherhood and my relationship to him as his son. That because of my desire to become more like him, I learn moment by moment to be better about the business of doing his will at all times. Which makes Faith to me my main purpose. A work in progress.

13 minutes ago, Will Due said:

To me Faith is what I have in God's overcare and guidance. Faith in his Fatherhood and my relationship to him as his son. That because of my desire to become more like him, I learn moment by moment to be better about the business of doing his will at all times. Which makes Faith to me my main purpose. A work in progress.

I'm not asking what people's definition of faith is. I've outlined that above with the different options.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, danydandan said:

If I had asked, what people's definition of faith is this would/will turn into a thread like every other. It needed/needs parameters, the most appropriate way to get to some consensus is to use these parameters. In this case the definition of the word faith as outlined by the Oxford English Dictionary.

Edit: Like as of right now we can say the majority of voters have selected option one. If I had asked for everyone's opinion or their own special definition we'd have gotten nowhere. I think.

But apparently the standard dictionaries' definitions are not being adhered to by those arguing over the definitions. Therefore why do we need a poll for agreeing to a standard dictionary definition? What is happenkng is a little wrangling by a few head to head heated discusiions, and standard definitions are being tempered with for argument's point getting.

6 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

But apparently the standard dictionaries' definitions are not being adhered to by those arguing over the definitions. Therefore why do we need a poll for agreeing to a standard dictionary definition? What is happenkng is a little wrangling by a few head to head heated discusiions, and standard definitions are being tempered with for argument's point getting.

I think they are, I just think people don't explain what the mean correctly.

Just look at @Will Due last post, he should have said 'What my Faith means to me' rather than 'What Faith means to me'. 

The term is already defined, words are defined at a specific point in time. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I'm not asking what people's definition of faith is. I've outlined that above with the different options.

My Faith is not mine. It's a gift from God that I decided to receive.

Faith, like personal true religion, is alive. It's not a mere word.

Everyone who reveives and exercises Faith is not defining a word but rather, they're defining what Faith is by what they are identifying with spiritually and how they live their lives.

6 minutes ago, Will Due said:

My Faith is not mine. It's a gift from God that I decided to receive.

Faith, like personal true religion, is alive. It's not a mere word.

Everyone who reveives and exercises Faith is not defining a word but rather, they're defining what Faith is by what they are identifying with spiritually and how they live their lives.

Will you didn't even bother to vote. Stop trolling I've already outlined the point of this thread. It's nothing to do with what your Faith means to you. But based on your posts I assume you think option two first and foremost.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1