Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Faith?

danydandan

Faith, a question!  

40 members have voted

1. 1. When you hear, see or read the word faith. What is your first interpretation that pops into your head?

• Complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
    • Strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.
    • A particular religion.
    • A strongly held belief.
    • An amalgamation of either two or all of the above.

Hi Dany

I picked #2 because it is the most common expressed context that is familiar to me, as for the first choice I don't have that confidence or trust in others and would be more inclined to accept what Piney said about faith/trust/confidence in oneself and being self-reliant.

jmccr8

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

It would serve us better with the survey if we expounded on more than a definition that pops into our heads at first seeing the word faith. And for a representation of faith in a religious background I can cite Hebrews 11 as to what is mostly understood by Christians, in general. However, I particularly like Jesus' rendition of the essence of faith.

19Afterward the disciples came to Jesus privately and asked, “Why couldn’t we drive it out?” 20“Because you have so little faith,” He answered. “For truly I tell you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”

https://biblehub.com/niv/hebrews/11.htm

1Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. 2This is what the ancients were commended for.

For me faith turns into a few options not just religious based. 

To have faith in a person--what would that mean to you as an individual 

To have faith in yourself--what does entail for you as an individual 

Faith in a greater power-this lends itself to spirituality 

And then faith in God-define what that faith entails, which God and then take a look at how that faith influences your faith in humanity. 

Just my two cents

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Will Due said:

With all my heart and soul, I believe God. 

Completely of topic. Might end up in a private message if we decide to talk about this. 

Question - where does the Bible fit into your belief in God. 

Do you know God? 

How do you know God? 

What does the word God mean to you... 

Thinking about this, if ur interested, let's have this convo PM

And lastly, what form does your faith in God take on for you?

Do you have faith in His Word? Or the path He has planned for you? 

Does your faith in God influence the destiny He has crafted for you... 

12 hours ago, danydandan said:

I added a bit more to my last post. But if we take a holistic approach to looking at the terms defined by OED, option one and two. Put them together we have complete certainty.

Prime example of this is @Will Due I believe he is completely certain of his Faith.

I disagree. If Will Due was completely certain of his faith he could move mountains. As it stands, he cannot even sway to his side one persistent, little blind mole, our dig it all, know it all, do it all little white bunny rabbit.

55 minutes ago, DebDandelion said:

For me faith turns into a few options not just religious based. 

To have faith in a person--what would that mean to you as an individual 

To have faith in yourself--what does entail for you as an individual 

Faith in a greater power-this lends itself to spirituality 

And then faith in God-define what that faith entails, which God and then take a look at how that faith influences your faith in humanity. 

Just my two cents

Read well and you will note that I commented on one application of faith. I selected the bottom choice on the survey. Faith without further definition is irrelevant for discussion, since the survey was born from the need to identify the meaning of faith relative to the different applications of the term, faith. But in essence faith has one meaning only, and it just needs to used along with the identify of the object of the faith. The object can be various, such as a deity, a person, a situation, an expectation, a want, a particular state of mind, or a particular material/non-material thing, etc.

And I rather thought that Hebrews 11:1 summed it up correctly for the general meaning of faith, although the rest of Hebrews 11 goes on to give religious meaning of the word faith, and the situations and occurrences of a particular religious faith.

Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. In other words, faith is blind. 

Blind faith, since it's about things we do not see, but hope to see happen. Since faith if of a future occurrence, it requires time to validate our faith that something or someone is as we hope it will be.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

I disagree. If Will Due was completely certain of his faith he could move mountains. As it stands, he cannot even sway to his side one persistent, little blind mole, our dig it all, know it all, do it all little white bunny rabbit.

@Will Due care to clarify?

Since "faith" is a word in the English language, it naturally is going to mean several things all at once. Can't have a single word mean a single thing... God Forbid!

The dictionary says it has secular, and religious, meanings. So, that's what I'm going with. B)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DebDandelion said:

Question - where does the Bible fit into your belief in God. 

I don't have belief IN God. I believe him directly.

Do you know God? 

Yes

How do you know God? 

The same way anyone knows him.

What does the word God mean to you... 

Not much. It's just a word.

And lastly, what form does your faith in God take on for you?

A wholehearted form.

Do you have faith in His Word? Or the path He has planned for you? 

Yes. 

Does your faith in God influence the destiny He has crafted for you... 

Yes. 

32 minutes ago, danydandan said:

@Will Due care to clarify?

My Faith doesn't move mountains. But it does REMOVE mountains of doubt.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Scratches Will off of the list for terraforming Mars for habitation.

jmccr8

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Not the question Will, the question is do you have certainty in your Faith. Yes or No!.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

3808bd42af74cb853424fa40efb7e64a.jpg

We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality

- Ayn Rand

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

3808bd42af74cb853424fa40efb7e64a.jpg

Actually LAZINESS is man's worse curse. People fall back on faith because they are too lazy to think for themselves. Same reason that the average person is so politically partisan... too lazy to actually understand what is going on, and instead it is easier to just parrot what your favorite news show/celebrity is saying.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

i-find-your-lack-of-faith-disturbing-dad

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

faith-is-not-about-everything-turning-ou

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Actually LAZINESS is man's worse curse. People fall back on faith because they are too lazy to think for themselves. Same reason that the average person is so politically partisan... too lazy to actually understand what is going on, and instead it is easier to just parrot what your favorite news show/celebrity is saying.

You could even say faith creates laziness. Putting faith in someone or something, taking the burden of action off oneself. "God will do it for me" or "If it's the Lord's will.". 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You could even say faith creates laziness. Putting faith in someone or something, taking the burden of action off oneself. "God will do it for me" or "If it's the Lord's will.". 

Absolutely. It could go that way around also. :D

And not just religious faith, but any kind of non-thinking unbacked trust.

• Like 3

Faith is an unwavering trust in something/someone. Having that type of trust is just asking to be disappointed.

17 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Faith is an unwavering trust in something/someone. Having that type of trust is just asking to be disappointed.

I think it can be said to have degrees. 

13 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I think it can be said to have degrees. 

By definition it cannot. 

Complete trust or confidence, leaves no room for degrees!

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, danydandan said:

By definition it cannot. 

Complete trust or confidence, leaves no room for degrees!

In common usage, the word faith has degrees, as in " I have more faith in a German Shepherd to be an effective guard dog, than a Chihuahua ". Your definition doesn't agree with common sense.

• Like 1

Seems to me the usual suspects here "aka "THE TEAM", want the word faith to mean dumb**** obedience to some religion. 

6 minutes ago, Habitat said:

In common usage, the word faith has degrees, as in " I have more faith in a German Shepherd to be an effective guard dog, than a Chihuahua ". Your definition doesn't agree with common sense.

Then it's not bring used correctly. Trust and faith are two different things. The definition of faith is outlined in the options I set forth. The very first definition is complete trust or confidence in something and or someone. My source is the Oxford English Dictionary.

Do you think you can have complete trust at varying degrees? That's idiotic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Then it's not bring used correctly. Trust and faith are two different things. The definition of faith is outlined in the options I set forth. The very first definition is complete trust or confidence in something and or someone. My source is the Oxford English Dictionary.

Do you think you can have complete trust at varying degrees? That's idiotic.

I'm saying there are more meanings to the word than "complete trust", in the general usage of the word. And I have little faith that this thread will end with agreement !