Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
danydandan

Faith?

Faith, a question!  

40 members have voted

1. 1. When you hear, see or read the word faith. What is your first interpretation that pops into your head?

• Complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
    • Strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.
    • A particular religion.
    • A strongly held belief.
    • An amalgamation of either two or all of the above.

275 posts in this topic

XenoFish
Just now, DieChecker said:

True, and I did say it was similar, not the same. 

Are you suggesting lots of people have lots of friends and close family and are still lonely? Lots of them? HALF?

Why not. No one truly know us, they know the person. 

DieChecker
On 8/18/2019 at 12:09 PM, Jodie.Lynne said:

You are aware, I hope, that one can feel lonely, even surrounded by friends and family, right?

The sense of loneliness can be exacerbated by being surrounded by people who seem to be enjoying something that one is not getting. Example: being at a festive gathering, and not only not 'feeling happy', but feeling isolated, because everyone else appears to be having a great time.

Half of Americans?

I'm aware people can be lonely, or depressed, and still have a big family, lots of friends and an active job, but... half?

XenoFish

We are born alone, die alone, and surrounded by other lonely people. 

• Thanks 1

DieChecker
Just now, XenoFish said:

Why not. No one truly know us, they know the person. 

Come on. That's just eye rolling of an arguement. Almost 200 million people feel lonely and it's just because....?

Probably because everyone is staring at a screen rather then real people. ??

DieChecker
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

We are born alone, die alone, and surrounded by other lonely people. 

We are all sadly familiar with your sadness X. I do pray for you to recover. Melancholy shouldnt be anyone's default.

Except maybe Batman.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Haha 1

XenoFish
1 minute ago, DieChecker said:

Come on. That's just eye rolling of an arguement. Almost 200 million people feel lonely and it's just because....?

Probably because everyone is staring at a screen rather then real people. ??

Some people feel socially isolated due to not 'fitting in'. And yes, we are separate due to the internet.

XenoFish

We are all sadly familiar with your sadness X. I do pray for you to recover. Melancholy shouldnt be anyone's default.

Except maybe Batman.

It is what it is. All of us have been tossed into this world. No one has the big answers, the real meaning behind it all. Could even say that the core of human existence as a conscious creature is an illusion, in some cases a delusion. Our lives are built on and around lies. 

• Like 1

DieChecker
22 hours ago, Sherapy said:

The article is about sleep deprivation as a factor of loneliness. 

Yes, I am very close to my family and kids. 

Not all of us are religious either.

I have  friend who recently divorced, he had no family, no friends,  so he hit the local bar and made friends, created a support system out of them and met a wonderful lady whom he is now in a serious relationships with, and he is very happy, he isn’t religious, just practical and industrious. 

I am happy for your friend, but what are the odds of finding a healthy relationship out of a bar. 

I've had bar-friends when I was younger. They wouldnt help me move, or pay my rent, or fix my car. Are Fair-weather-friends really friends? True... one can make good friends at a bar, and I imagine it would depend on the bar.

So some of your extended family are religious? Have they gotten, in your opinion, help/aud/support from their religion they might not otherwise have?

I am happy you are good with your family. It is not as common as it used to be, IMHO.

XenoFish
Just now, DieChecker said:

I stand corrected. :lol:

That link was a checklist for me. 

• Haha 1

DieChecker
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

It is what it is. All of us have been tossed into this world. No one has the big answers, the real meaning behind it all. Could even say that the core of human existence as a conscious creature is an illusion, in some cases a delusion. Our lives are built on and around lies. 

Religious people BELIEVE they have the big answers, and that is comforting to them.

I do agree each person is an island... alone. 

In Church Sunday the topic was, "Your Own Personal Jesus", and how people today are individualizing their religion, and how that was "bad". However, IMHO, humans can't help but individualize their religion. The Bible helps standardize, as does Doctrine, but those can only go so far.

Edited by DieChecker

XenoFish

Religious people BELIEVE they have the big answers, and that is comforting to them.

I do agree each person is an island... alone. 

In Church Sunday the topic was, "Your Own Personal Jesus", and how people today are individualizing their religion, and how that was "bad". However, IMHO, humans fant help but individualize their religion. The Bible helps standardize, as does Doctrine, but those can only go so far.

So the little lies then.

DieChecker
1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

So the little lies then.

Is it lies if you, and all those close to you, believe it is not? Dont we make our own reality to a degree?

Sure science says...

But science isnt good at pinning down subjective things.

XenoFish

Is it lies if you, and all those close to you, believe it is not?

A lie is a lie. Even if it's agreed upon.

Dont we make our own reality to a degree?

Subjectively viewing things through various mental filters.

Sure science says...

But science isnt good at pinning down subjective things.

That's why psychology exist.

• Like 2

DieChecker
15 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That's why psychology exist.

I just found this interesting article

The Psychology of Religion

Why are some people more religious than others?

Surely, none of the science I have reported here conflicts with my beliefs, a point that reinforces my general view that science and faith do not conflict if we probe the evidence deeply. My Christian faith also teaches that individuals have different inborn tendencies (“gifts”), need an anchor during turbulent times, and are influenced by community.

In fact, if anything, science has given me another path to pursue matters of faith. If science and religion are two windows to understanding the universe, my life would be darkened without the light of them both. 

DieChecker
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

A lie is a lie. Even if it's agreed upon.

And yet history states things as facts that are only fact because everyone believes them. A lie everyone agrees on becomes a fact after all who know it is a lie are gone, and it is not corrected.

If radical scientologist true believers killed everyone else on Earth, their religion would then be factual to all those left.

Edited by DieChecker

XenoFish
5 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

And yet history states things as facts that are only fact because everyone believes them. A lie everyone agrees on becomes a fact after all who know it is a lie are gone, and it is not corrected.

If radical scientologist true believers killed everyone else on Earth, their religion would then be factual to all those left.

As I've stated before. Religions, governments, societies, are all based on lies and things that don't actually exist.

• Like 1

Habitat
1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

As I've stated before. Religions, governments, societies, are all based on lies and things that don't actually exist.

Pretty much everything bar you ? This is rank misanthropy.

jmccr8
On 8/19/2019 at 5:44 PM, Habitat said:

I was being polite, you are quite a stalker, and let's not mention your endless requests for sources to back up opinions and anecdotes, when you well know that we are not talking about universally accepted and established fact in many discussions. hardly surprising given the name of the website ! But of course, the main object of your stalking behaviour is Walker, with whom you appear, like at least one other here, to have a rather unhealthy obsession, the main object of which appears to be you pumping your own tyres up, by comparing yourself favourably to him. Which is, to use 8 bits terminology, pathetic !

Hi Habitat

You fail to understand that by your own admission you do not read most of what he writes so you do not know what we are talking about or why.

Yes, many of us express opinions and positions and offer links and data that show why and gives a better understanding of a persons position that you do not read.

Walker can hold his own and he does understand my sense of humor but it took him some time and we have had some terrific debates like the slavery one. We are from differnt parts of the world living in vastly and different environments and come here to learn and challenge ideas something that you are not interested in So get a grip.

jmccr8

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

XenoFish

If faith can move mountains, why haven't any mountains moved? If faith can cause a tree to wither with a curse, why are there still trees?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

DieChecker
5 hours ago, XenoFish said:

If faith can move mountains, why haven't any mountains moved? If faith can cause a tree to wither with a curse, why are there still trees?

I know many mountains on the East Coast have been level for coal. Someone had faith it would be done?

Why would Christians want to kill trees? :lol:

XenoFish
16 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I know many mountains on the East Coast have been level for coal. Someone had faith it would be done?

Why would Christians want to kill trees? :lol:

Not the point. Tell the mountain to move from here to there and it will be done. With the faith like that of a mustard seed. 

joc
On 8/20/2019 at 4:34 AM, XenoFish said:

No one has the big answers, the real meaning behind it all.

Au contraire !

I have the big answer!  I know the real meaning behind it all.

Too eat, and not to be eaten!  

B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

joc
On 8/20/2019 at 4:37 AM, DieChecker said:

I am happy for your friend, but what are the odds of finding a healthy relationship out of a bar. 

I have had several healthy relationships out of a bar.  I have had several healthy relationships out of a church.   Healthy relationships are not  causal via the meeting place.   Just sayin'....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1