Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NY police officers pay for shoplifter's food

Still Waters

When a woman accused of shoplifting from a food store in New York was approached by three police officers, she might have expected to be arrested - but instead they paid for her food.

The touching moment at a Whole Foods supermarket in Union Square, Manhattan, on 4 July was captured by another customer, who shared a photo on Twitter.

https://news.sky.com/story/kind-hearted-new-york-police-officers-pay-for-shoplifters-food-11758286

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

This is what police should be doing. Protect and serve. Respect.

I hope that this will make a way for similar approach to be taken by police more often.

I always remember the case of one war veteran in my city. 3 kids, wife and him in small apartment living on war injury payment of some 20$... Eventually day comes when there is nothing to eat in the house.

Man entered supermarket, took packed potato (maybe 5 kilos) and returned home. Yeah, he stole it to feed his children and it was damn potato worth like dollar of two or what... Police arrested him, put him month in jail and left his family without the man, made wife pull her hair and scream scared about future of their children.

Cops did not care, law before humanity as i understood. While criminals, racketeers and murderers are free on the streets hungry people are put to jail and their families are put in even worse kind of imprisonment...

Courts did not care either. And he gave his leg to defend this town.

It's weird, where we are at. I feel deep respect to the cops in this article and why? Because they are normal and good human beings. That is sick, normal things are unheard and fascinating when we hear about them, like in this case.

• Like 3

your vet story while touching raises questions, a vet married with kids , he couldnt get aid, food stamps etc? bag o potatos? not the easiest or best food item to snatch.

yep those LEO are so very noble to buy a criminal a meal, sure went viral quickly, just so happened a documenrty film maker was right there, priceless timing.

i have mixed views on this, starting with does this mean any sincerely hungry person, ( she didnt look like she was missing meals,  and whole foods is a luxury store on my budget.)

should be able to stroll into a store and steal food, and have LEOs flip the bill in lieu of arresting  for a crime commited, i assure you that homeless guy on the cornor is just as hungry as she claimed to be, would he get a free ride if he goes into winn dixie and steals a meal today? i sorely doubt it, the vet in your story sure didnt get slack either.

no, im far from cold hearted but i also do not support laws only apply to cetain people, stealing food doesnt float with me and here's why, i live in a little 10sq mile town and within 2 miles of me, one is actually next door are at least 5 churches that offer free meals to the needy, also we have food banks,  there simply isnt an excuse to shoplift food, and i cant help but see this as unfair to anyone arrested for shop lifting food and going to jail over it when the next person gets her whole foods paid for.

i also do not buy that a person who is bold enough to jump right to shop lifting over seeking a soup kitchen isnt a repeat offender.

so should everyone who shoplifts food not only get away with it but get their bill paid for by LEOs? if you say no, explain why not, was this lady any more deserving than your vet with a family?

• Like 2

On 7/7/2019 at 11:41 AM, the13bats said:

so should everyone who shoplifts food not only get away with it but get their bill paid for by LEOs? if you say no, explain why not, was this lady any more deserving than your vet with a family?

i'd like to hear that one too, i agree with you here 100% it is not what police should be doing. it is kinda counterproductive.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, aztek said:

i'd like to hear that one too, i agree with you here 100% it is not what police should be doing. it is kinda counterproductive.

right, :tu:

so if a homeless guy reads that article and strolls into whole foods and steals his meal gets arrested why shouldnt he get off by saying, well, last time the cops didnt arrest the gal shop lifting they bought her meal...wait, he shouldnt even get arrested, if we are to jump to the mindset trying to be pushed here then police should stand at the cashiers paying for shop lifters food. :rolleyes:

• Like 1