Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Aleister Crowley's house set to be restored

UM-Bot

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Crowley was rumored to.

Was MI5 around before WW2?  Crowley died in 1947.

6 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Honest, don't know. I've read where he was a spy, but it's Crowley. He always seems surrounded by tall tales.

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Honest, don't know. I've read where he was a spy, but it's Crowley. He always seems surrounded by tall tales.

Yeah, there are a lot of stories about L.Ron Hubbard that could not be true so I suspect minions have done what they can to make him "bigger than life" to justify their adoration or recruit more minions.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Who, Alister Crowley or Grant Morrison?

Both :P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

He was a drug addled fool is what he was.

Uncle Fester is the most accurate portrayal of him. :yes:

FlawedIllfatedKob-max-1mb.gif

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

The predecessor of MI5 was  the Secret Service Bureau, and that was formed around 1909 ? 

• Like 2

Well, I think this is nice. The house has connotations to some people, regardless of their accuracy. It is great that some people are seeking to preserve it for the future. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

The predecessor of MI5 was  the Secret Service Bureau, and that was formed around 1909 ? 

Tel: 9999

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Stiff said:

Tel: 9999

No, it's 0207 7930 9000

8 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

No, it's 0207 7930 9000

Uig7.gif

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Stiff said:

Uig7.gif

Seriously. It really is !

16 hours ago, cathya said:

I can think of many investments to make other than fixing up a dead satanists old home.  What a waste of money.  

I would be careful, there are still a number of his followers around they may come visit you:o

• Haha 1

Most of you would do well to step beyond the MANY baseless rumours and do a little real research. Did Crowley experiment with drugs? Sure. Lots of people have throughout history. But it should be noted that the few times throughout Crowley's life that he did suffer addiction it was due to his medical doctor putting him on drugs to treat his asthma. In those days cocaine and opioids were the norm for people with asthmatic conditions. There is zero evidence that Crowley was drugging people for British Intelligence. Most of his drug use was controlled experimentation with psychedelics. He meticulously reports on this in his own diaries. Crowley was not a Satanist, and vociferously opposed black magick. The spiritual philosophy he codified, called Thelema, far more closely resembles Taoism than it does Satanism. There are a lot of rumours spread by people that have never read his own words or the works of scholars that have studied him closely. There are tons of trash publications written by conspiracy theorists and religious zealots, or people that lack deductive reasoning and lack the ability to tell when Crowley was exercising his oft bizarre sense of humour. A lot of it is coded or poetic and can't be understood when read straight forward, but is obvious to those versed in Hermeticism, yoga, alchemy, Mythology, etc... If you really want to understand what Crowley was about, read his own words, or books by people that studied him in a more sober regard. I would recommend Perderabo by Dr. Richard Kaczynski, or a number of works by Bob Wilson.

Edited by Indridcold3223
Mistake
  • Like 2

Mr crawly did you talk to the dead

Edited by Impedancer

3 hours ago, Indridcold3223 said:

Most of you would do well to step beyond the MANY baseless rumours and do a little real research. Did Crowley experiment with drugs? Sure. Lots of people have throughout history. But it should be noted that the few times throughout Crowley's life that he did suffer addiction it was due to his medical doctor putting him on drugs to treat his asthma. In those days cocaine and opioids were the norm for people with asthmatic conditions. There is zero evidence that Crowley was drugging people for British Intelligence. Most of his drug use was controlled experimentation with psychedelics. He meticulously reports on this in his own diaries. Crowley was not a Satanist, and vociferously opposed black magick. The spiritual philosophy he codified, called Thelema, far more closely resembles Taoism than it does Satanism. There are a lot of rumours spread by people that have never read his own words or the works of scholars that have studied him closely. There are tons of trash publications written by conspiracy theorists and religious zealots, or people that lack deductive reasoning and lack the ability to tell when Crowley was exercising his oft bizarre sense of humour. A lot of it is coded or poetic and can't be understood when read straight forward, but is obvious to those versed in Hermeticism, yoga, alchemy, Mythology, etc... If you really want to understand what Crowley was about, read his own words, or books by people that studied him in a more sober regard. I would recommend Perderabo by Dr. Richard Kaczynski, or a number of works by Bob Wilson.

Thanks, and welcome to UM :)

5 hours ago, Indridcold3223 said:

PcWBKOo.gif

12 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Seriously. It really is !

eek.gif It's FedEx too!

Capture.thumb.JPG.a8e3a8c4d27d5dbc4a1644d2d94f16a4.JPG

10 hours ago, Stiff said:

eek.gif It's FedEx too!

Capture.thumb.JPG.a8e3a8c4d27d5dbc4a1644d2d94f16a4.JPG

That's... bizzarre. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 3:24 AM, Manwon Lender said:

I would be careful, there are still a number of his followers around they may come visit you:o

Lol. His "followers" are the ones that bought it. But "followers" is not quite the correct term, as Crowley discouraged followers, he wanted every man and woman to "cut their own way through the jungle", he merely pointed out a possible path.

158f4952fe_1474623450_Bill-Cosby.gif

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Written by this guy lol. Reduces OTO's inclusion of eroticism in some rituals as "wierd sex stuff". Everyone's got a point of view, I guess. :)

@2x-Brett-Tingley.png

For some reason I hear the song Mr Crowley by Ozzie playing in my head when reading this thread. ;)