Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Encountering the Faeries in the 21st Century

rashore

Recently I was sent an email from a woman wanting to share her experience of encountering what appeared to be faeries or nature spirits. As with many people who interact with faerie-type entities for the first time, she wanted to make clear that she was not intoxicated, had not taken any drugs and has no history of mental illness. In our rationalistic culture, this is understandable; any contact with something that may be termed supernatural is often met with suspicion, derision or concern as to the person’s mental state. Western culture is predominantly reductionist – anything that appears to contravene the accepted consensus reality based on material physical laws is usually deemed as a misrepresentation of a natural phenomenon, a hallucination, a dream, or chicanery. This is a narrow vision of reality. There are mountains of data describing supernatural, parapsychological and anomalous phenomena from around the world, but most of it is anecdotal. The data cannot usually be scrutinised by scientific protocols because most of it happens spontaneously; it is not possible to recreate the circumstances in a laboratory. Does this make the anecdotes less real? Does it disqualify them from our attention? It shouldn’t. Our entire lives are made up of a series of anecdotal incidents, stored in memory and recalled when necessary to inform the present. If an anecdotal account of an experience that seems supernatural is recounted with honesty and clarity, we should perhaps attempt to escape any reality boxes we find ourselves in and assess it on its merits, even if it contradicts an ingrained worldview. The following anecdotal testimony describes an encounter with faerie-like entities, which may be compared to the hundreds of reports made to The Fairy Investigation Society’s recent census, suggesting that whatever the faeries are, people are still experiencing contact with them in the 21st century. There is a palpable, authentic interface with a metaphysical reality, which doesn’t sit well with mainstream culture but is nonetheless continuing to happen.

https://deadbutdreaming.wordpress.com/2019/06/29/encountering-the-faeries-in-the-21st-century/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

like i always say, show me proof,

images(2).png.b7cf7af309e766c8852cf6e8e485388c.png

sorry tink...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

As Graham Hancock suggests

That did it for me. I won't read any further........

:lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Millions of children around the world believe in some sort of monster under the bed.

By the logic suggested here, bed monsters (that are NOT your cats) are actually real and are going to grab your ankles sometime during your life and drag you underneath the bed to eat you.

• Like 4

If there is a supernatural force that may be influencing this story it's Elementals.  Elementals are supposed to be spirits of nature, some are good and some are evil according to folklore. The belief in these spirits occur world wide in almost all cultures. I am not a believer in these beings, I go by a simple premise, when I see it, I will beleive it the same as with ghosts. So I guess I am saying this is just another Faerie Tale to me. 

But thanks for the story, I enjoyed it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I love these stories, Living a couple of miles from where the photos were taken of the Cottingley Fairies and a few Fairy hot spots in the woods in the next village, its quite heart-warming especially when you have young children who are interested in them.

Thanks for sharing rashore. 

• Like 1

I would much rather my child start juggling chainsaws than meddle in the work of the Fair Folk, it’s far safer. If they exist I’ll leave out the traditional saucer of milk and pray I never see one. 

• Haha 2

I am completely ignorant of fairy mythology. has there ever been any physical evidence of such?  I'm guessing "no".
And if "no", how the heck can people who do believe in fairies ever expect to convince anyone that their experiences are not phenomena that only exist in their head?

dead end.

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I am completely ignorant of fairy mythology. has there ever been any physical evidence of such?  I'm guessing "no".
And if "no", how the heck can people who do believe in fairies ever expect to convince anyone that their experiences are not phenomena that only exist in their head?

dead end.

pretty much sums it up, ive seen some bugs that did look a little like fairies so i have to wonder if thats one source of the folklore, like sailors though seacows were mermaids... albeit ugly ones....

On 7/8/2019 at 11:36 PM, Piney said:

That did it for me. I won't read any further........

:lol:

I was done at that point to Piney..Graham Hancock! For real!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

dead end.

Just like religion, ghosts, demons etc.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 12:24 AM, Kenemet said:

Millions of children around the world believe in some sort of monster under the bed.

By the logic suggested here, bed monsters (that are NOT your cats) are actually real and are going to grab your ankles sometime during your life and drag you underneath the bed to eat you.

I KNEW it!!   :D

• Haha 1

On 7/9/2019 at 12:24 AM, Kenemet said:

fairies, little green men from mars, demons etc some people need to cling to fantasies, some of course have mental issues and cant help it,

in 73 a made for tv flick scared a younger me deeply, "dont be afraid of the dark" total "B" but like gargoyles well done for tv,

5d2e0a5a50afc_DontBeAfraidOfTheDark1973.jpg.a44470372e54870fac08c3d19abfa884.jpg

these guys, no, not the patterson film creature after her facial waxing,  these guys were presented as only a few feet tall they were trying to drag the movies hero sally to who knows where.

For several years i was sure they were living under my bed and in my closet, but i grew out of it, now i would just invite them over for dinner...and ask them did the same guy make patties suit.

Edited by the13bats
typo
  • Like 1