Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery 'tequila plant' to flower after 57 yr

Still Waters

A giant "tequila plant" is set to flower for the first - and only - time after more than half a century.

The flower spike appeared a month ago at Cambridge University Botanic Garden and is now three metres (10ft) tall.

Staff have been tending the agave, part of a family of plants from which tequila is made, since 1962 but cannot confirm its species until it flowers.

They will soon have to remove the roof of the glasshouse as it continues to grow, but once it flowers, it will die.

Experts at the garden were delighted when the plant's spike began to grow, indicating it will finally bloom.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-48866289

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• The title was changed to Mystery 'tequila plant' to flower after 57 yrs

Why is the word "mystery" in the headline.  Agave are no mystery.  I have one in my yard.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

Why is the word "mystery" in the headline.  Agave are no mystery.  I have one in my yard.

I think it's because they aren't sure what species of agave it is until it flowers? Not much of a mystery, but well...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

I think it's because they aren't sure what species of agave it is until it flowers? Not much of a mystery, but well...

No, that doesn't make sense as the leaves are different for different varieties.  They are botanists, right?  I think the mystery is the reporter's word to get people to click on the story.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

No, that doesn't make sense as the leaves are different for different varieties.  They are botanists, right?  I think the mystery is the reporter's word to get people to click on the story.

Well the article says they don't know which species it is:

Although staff believe it might be the species Agave heteracantha, they cannot be sure until they see what sort of flower it finally produces

But yeah I agree that mystery is an unnecessary buzzword for that. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Direct from the botanists website:

Our Assistant Curator is waiting for it to flower to verify which species of Agave it is – we believe it may be Agave heteracantha but we can’t be certain until it flowers.

https://www.botanic.cam.ac.uk/agave-flowering-at-cambridge-university-botanic-garden-july-2019/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

"A giant plant dubbed an "asparagus on steroids" has flowered for the first - and only - time after keeping gardeners waiting for more than half a century.

"The agave flower spike appeared in June at Cambridge University Botanic Garden and grew to 4.5m (14.5ft), almost hitting the glasshouse roof.

"Staff were not sure of the species, but believed it was an Agave vivipara."

Full report at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-49648859

And at Cambridgeshire Live: https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/cambridge-botanic-gardens-flower-tequila-16900318

• Thanks 1