Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russian intel planted Seth Rich conspiracy

ExpandMyMind

Conspiracy theories that former Democratic National Committee (DNC) staffer Seth Rich was murdered on the orders of 2016 presidential candidate Hillary Clinton originated with the Russian foreign intelligence service, according to a Yahoo News investigation.

The SVR circulated a fake “bulletin” it passed off as a genuine intelligence report about Rich, who was killed in Washington, D.C., in July 2016 in what the D.C. Police Department have said was a botched robbery, Yahoo news reported on Tuesday.

The document outlined the initial conspiracy theory, that Rich was killed on Clinton’s orders on his way to alert the FBI to corruption within the Clinton campaign. The same day, the details were reproduced on the website whatdoesitmean.com, which attributed them to “Russian intelligence.”

“To me, having a foreign intelligence agency set up one of my decedents with lies and planting false stories, to me that’s pretty outrageous,” former Assistant U.S. Attorney Deborah Sines, who oversaw the Rich case until she retired in 2018, told Yahoo.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/452157-russias-foreign-intelligence-service-secretly-planted-fake-report-that-seth

I wouldn't be surprised if a large portion of the US conspiracy theories you find on conspiracy websites are actually created (or at least repeated so often as to make them popular) by Russia or other antagonistic countries.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

according to a yahoo news investigation :rofl: 

Yes, all the conspiracy theories that don't blame Trump for everything are manufactured by the Muscovites. 

It's only the ones that blame Trump for everything that are true.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Who did yahoo news rely on for their sources? Bellingcat? Christopher Steele?  :rofl: 

• Haha 3

hahaha would you believe it I was right.

Isikoff, Who First Peddled The Fake Steele Dossier, Invents New 'Russian Influence' Story

https://www.moonofalabama.org/2019/07/isikoff-who-first-peddled-the-fake-steele-dossier-invents-new-russian-influence-story.html#more

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/452157-russias-foreign-intelligence-service-secretly-planted-fake-report-that-seth

I wouldn't be surprised if a large portion of the US conspiracy theories you find on conspiracy websites are actually created (or at least repeated so often as to make them popular) by Russia or other antagonistic countries.

There is a lot of heresay in that Yahoo article with no links to any sources which makes me suspicious. Lots of definitive statements about Russian hackers with no quotes or links to back them up. Regardless, none of the core tenants of the Seth Rich story are being challenged here: he was a DNC staffer, he was shot in the head, the Police quickly concluded it was a botched robbery despite nothing being stolen. 

I agree with you that Russian/Chinese trolls and hackers have muddied the waters on virtually every story that's broken in the last few years but Seth Rich died a very mysterious death with very coincidental timing while being in the wheelhouse of a very powerful and deadly family, the Clintons. My gut feeling on the Yahoo article is "damage control" - it takes a detail from a proven fake Russian report and somehow concludes that every theory regarding Seth Rich must be also be false. 

Thanks for posting....I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes

Edit to add--

Wasn't the "Russians hacked the DNC" theory thrown out a long time ago? I vaguely remember they found data transfer logs during the investigation that proved information was taken from the server locally, likely on a USB stick. They determined this by examining how the DNC data left the server - it was too fast to have been over the network. The Russian angle was, not surprisingly, propped up by the DNC. It may not have been Seth Rich himself, but someone was in the building with access to that server.

Edited by Dark_Grey
  • Like 5

56 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Wasn't the "Russians hacked the DNC" theory thrown out a long time ago? 

it was, now i wonder why this story came up now. there has to be a reason,  another desperate attempt by libs , just can't figure at what, but it is clearly  desperate.  At first Russia hacked DNC, proven a lie, then they claimed Russians rigged election, proven to be a lie again, now this.....

Edited by aztek
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Dark_Grey said:

Wasn't the "Russians hacked the DNC" theory thrown out a long time ago? I vaguely remember they found data transfer logs during the investigation that proved information was taken from the server locally, likely on a USB stick. They determined this by examining how the DNC data left the server - it was too fast to have been over the network. The Russian angle was, not surprisingly, propped up by the DNC. It may not have been Seth Rich himself, but someone was in the building with access to that server.

It was proved beyond any reasonable doubt by Mueller in his report. They even provided messages from Assange documenting his attempts to acquire the hacked emails from the hackers.

The above theory, however, was debunked long before that. Not that anyone who believes the conspiracy theory - regardless of how little they know of IT, and how many experts in the field have explained the process of the email hacking - have had their opinions swayed.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Honestly as soon as I heard he was murdered and that he worked for the DNC I came up with the rest without help from Russia.  2+2= probably 4 or so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Honestly as soon as I heard he was murdered and that he worked for the DNC I came up with the rest without help from Russia.  2+2= probably 4 or so.

yea, unless you are a progressive liberal, then it could be anything, including a song

1 hour ago, ExpandMyMind said:

It was proved beyond any reasonable doubt by Mueller in his report.

It certainly was NOT proved by Mueller.  In fact, Mueller's report is increasingly coming under fire for containing what amounts to ZERO truth whatsoever.  Further, the entire investigation is now being roundly called out for being ILLEGAL in the first place...not normally an attribute of factual investigative reports.

So, you can see that relying on Mueller for anything useful from the standpoint of truthful information is ultimately a losing strategy.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, hacktorp said:

It certainly was NOT proved by Mueller.  In fact, Mueller's report is increasingly coming under fire for containing what amounts to ZERO truth whatsoever.  Further, the entire investigation is now being roundly called out for being ILLEGAL in the first place...not normally an attribute of factual investigative reports.

So, you can see that relying on Mueller for anything useful from the standpoint of truthful information is ultimately a losing strategy.

Sources?

31 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Sources?

Article dated July 5:

CROWDSTRIKEOUT: MUELLER’S OWN REPORT UNDERCUTS ITS CORE RUSSIA-MEDDLING CLAIMS

While the 448-page Mueller report found no conspiracy between Donald Trump's campaign and Russia, it offered voluminous details to support the sweeping conclusion that the Kremlin worked to secure Trump's victory. The report claims that the interference operation occurred "principally" on two fronts: Russian military intelligence officers hacked and leaked embarrassing Democratic Party documents, and a government-linked troll farm orchestrated a sophisticated and far-reaching social media campaign that denigrated Hillary Clinton and promoted Trump.

But a close examination of the report shows that none of those headline assertions are supported by the report’s evidence or other publicly available sources. They are further undercut by investigative shortcomings and the conflicts of interest of key players involved:

• The report uses qualified and vague language to describe key events, indicating that Mueller and his investigators do not actually know for certain whether Russian intelligence officers stole Democratic Party emails, or how those emails were transferred to WikiLeaks.
  • The report's timeline of events appears to defy logic. According to its narrative, WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange announced the publication of Democratic Party emails not only before he received the documents but before he even communicated with the source that provided them.
  • There is strong reason to doubt Mueller’s suggestion that an alleged Russian cutout called Guccifer 2.0 supplied the stolen emails to Assange.
  • Mueller’s decision not to interview Assange – a central figure who claims Russia was not behind the hack – suggests an unwillingness to explore avenues of evidence on fundamental questions.
  • U.S. intelligence officials cannot make definitive conclusions about the hacking of the Democratic National Committee computer servers because they did not analyze those servers themselves. Instead, they relied on the forensics of CrowdStrike, a private contractor for the DNC that was not a neutral party, much as “Russian dossier” compiler Christopher Steele, also a DNC contractor, was not a neutral party. This puts two Democrat-hired contractors squarely behind underlying allegations in the affair – a key circumstance that Mueller ignores.
  • Further, the government allowed CrowdStrike and the Democratic Party's legal counsel to submit redacted records, meaning CrowdStrike and not the government decided what could be revealed or not regarding evidence of hacking.
  • Mueller’s report conspicuously does not allege that the Russian government carried out the social media campaign. Instead it blames, as Mueller said in his closing remarks, "a private Russian entity" known as the Internet Research Agency (IRA).
  • Mueller also falls far short of proving that the Russian social campaign was sophisticated, or even more than minimally related to the 2016 election. As with the collusion and Russian hacking allegations, Democratic officials had a central and overlooked hand in generating the alarm about Russian social media activity.
  • John Brennan, then director of the CIA, played a seminal and overlooked role in all facets of what became Mueller’s investigation: the suspicions that triggered the initial collusion probe; the allegations of Russian interference; and the intelligence assessment that purported to validate the interference allegations that Brennan himself helped generate. Yet Brennan has since revealed himself to be, like CrowdStrike and Steele, hardly a neutral party -- in fact a partisan with a deep animus toward Trump

https://www.realclearinvestigations.com/articles/2019/07/05/crowdstrikeout_muellers_own_report_undercuts_its_core_russia-meddling_claims.html

Edited by hacktorp

^^So, obviously EMM has confused the term "proved" with "concluded".  And Mueller's "conclusion" is, at best, weak and unsupported.

In fact, the only thing Mueller "proved" is that he is still at work obstructing justice and running cover for elite criminals.

In this case, the criminals who murdered Seth Rich.

• Like 1

Ya know... it just might be those pesky Ruskies that started the rumor. But how do we know the rumor is false? It looks pretty dam believable to me  :P

Go Ruskies!

The DNC would not allow the FBI to examine their mail server, so in effect, everyone in government operated *as if* "the Ruskies did it" was true, based soley on the word of the democrats who were anxious to somehow blame Trump.

Farmer Brown:   "Well ya see, mister district attorney,, I wouldn't let the sheriff examine the chicken coop because I already know who done stole my chickens. It was that bad bad boy and neighbor, Billy Bob."   :whistle:

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Not that anyone who believes the conspiracy theory - regardless of how little they know of IT, and how many experts in the field have explained the process of the email hacking - have had their opinions swayed.

I presume by that you mean the Blame the Muscovites for Everything theory?

13 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

This has actually been verified.  You know the Kennedy Assassination?  All those conspiracy theories?  There is good evidence that they started due to Russian influence on US media.  If you notice, most conspiracy theories are designed to attack the US system of government or smear the military.  This is because they are generally Russian psy-ops.  Russia presently wants to paralyze the USA with internal dissent and get us, as a nation, to become less interested in the world and protecting our position in it  This would give them a free hand to do as they please.  It is all in Alexander Dugin's book "Foundations of Geopolitics", and is a Russian militarist blueprint playbook for how to reclaim Russia's lost territory and influence LINK.  Sadly it is not presently available in English, tho I suspect this will be remedied soon. 

Of course all Russia really needs to do to reclaim it's place in the world is to actually use their huge landmass and its potential earning power in anything approaching a productive fashion.  Instead they have an economy that is less productive than South Korea (a tiny country in terms of size and roughly 1/3 of Russia's population).  Russians are a lazy people.  They would sooner invade someone else and die, than do an honest day's work; at heart they're bandits.  No doubt this was part of Communism's appeal for them.

On the other hand, for this to happen, all the USA has to do is believe conspiracy theories and become isolationist.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

Russians are a lazy people.  They would sooner invade someone else and die, than do an honest day's work; at heart they're bandits.  No doubt this was part of Communism's appeal for them.

The Russians are a great people, Your negative stereotyping damns only yourself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alchopwn said:

This has actually been verified.  You know the Kennedy Assassination?  All those conspiracy theories?  There is good evidence that they started due to Russian influence on US media.  If you notice, most conspiracy theories are designed to attack the US system of government or smear the military.  This is because they are generally Russian psy-ops.  Russia presently wants to paralyze the USA with internal dissent and get us, as a nation, to become less interested in the world and protecting our position in it  This would give them a free hand to do as they please.  It is all in Alexander Dugin's book "Foundations of Geopolitics", and is a Russian militarist blueprint playbook for how to reclaim Russia's lost territory and influence LINK.  Sadly it is not presently available in English, tho I suspect this will be remedied soon. 

Of course all Russia really needs to do to reclaim it's place in the world is to actually use their huge landmass and its potential earning power in anything approaching a productive fashion.  Instead they have an economy that is less productive than South Korea (a tiny country in terms of size and roughly 1/3 of Russia's population).  Russians are a lazy people.  They would sooner invade someone else and die, than do an honest day's work; at heart they're bandits.  No doubt this was part of Communism's appeal for them.

right, and let's see if we can manage to think of any occasions when Russia has been invaded by anyone, and sacrificed millions of its people to defeat the invaders .... hmm .... anyone think of anything? 

Or in your case, the question should simply be shall we see if we can manage to think.

Idiot. 

23 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

There is a lot of heresay in that Yahoo article with no links to any sources which makes me suspicious. Lots of definitive statements about Russian hackers with no quotes or links to back them up. Regardless, none of the core tenants of the Seth Rich story are being challenged here: he was a DNC staffer, he was shot in the head, the Police quickly concluded it was a botched robbery despite nothing being stolen. 

I agree with you that Russian/Chinese trolls and hackers have muddied the waters on virtually every story that's broken in the last few years but Seth Rich died a very mysterious death with very coincidental timing while being in the wheelhouse of a very powerful and deadly family, the Clintons. My gut feeling on the Yahoo article is "damage control" - it takes a detail from a proven fake Russian report and somehow concludes that every theory regarding Seth Rich must be also be false. 

Thanks for posting....I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes

Edit to add--

Nothing being stolen during a robbery would pretty much be the definition of "botched"....just....fyi ya know...

• Like 1

The source of this story IS A NAMED and QUOTED US Attorney that oversaw the case, and it gets moved to conspiracy theories?  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

The source of this story IS A NAMED and QUOTED US Attorney that oversaw the case, and it gets moved to conspiracy theories?  

Yeah im with you on that. This is news

8 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

This NAMED and QUOTED US Attorney has apparently tried to plant a flimsy and weakly-evidenced story alleging a Russian plot to misinform the public about the death of Seth Rich.

That, in and of itself, is a Conspiracy Theory.

A pretty crappy one, at that.

23 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

right, and let's see if we can manage to think of any occasions when Russia has been invaded by anyone, and sacrificed millions of its people to defeat the invaders .... hmm .... anyone think of anything? 

Or in your case, the question should simply be shall we see if we can manage to think.

Idiot. 

So signing off with ad hominem?  Classy.  "It does a lot to make your case".  Oh, wait, my bad, is that your new signature? What you are talking about is ancient history.  So what if they were invaded during WW2?  That was a different regime and a different ideology.  You should question more why Russia still hasn't properly recovered from WW2? The answer is economic incompetence.  Now let us ask the more interesting question... Under Putin, how many placed has Russia invaded?  Chechenya, Georgia, Ukraine, Norway.  Yes, Russia has occupied Norwegian possession islands in the arctic circle.  Russia has also attacked the democratic process in the USA and UK, and continues to fund extremist groups to promote the breakup of NATO and the EU.  These are OVERTLY agressive moves.  The fact is that none of the countries that border Russia like the Russians, in fact they all hate them and have great resentment for the long history of blatant oppression that they have experienced.  The fact is that Russia is on the offensive, and to do nothing to recognize this threat would be true idiocy.  

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 2