Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iran tries to hijack vessel British Heritage

and-then

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7234881/Five-armed-Iranian-boats-attempt-storm-British-oil-tanker-Gulf.html 

Kind of a limp-wristed attempt from what I can tell.  Maybe their heart just wasn't in it? :w00t:

• Haha 1

Beautiful little frigate, nice clean lines--she'd have given those Iranian swiftboats hell.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

Beautiful little frigate, nice clean lines--she'd have given those Iranian swiftboats hell.

Do you think they were intent on the job or were just making a show of it?

2 hours ago, and then said:

Do you think they were intent on the job or were just making a show of it?

The Royal Navy is always intent on the job. To this day, they're still the gold standard. 

• Like 1

I dont actually believe this was an attempt to seize anything, our media loves to blow things out of proportion, more likley a scenario of Iranian boats trying to cause an obstruction getting in the way and generally being a nuisance, much like what china is doing in the south china sea.

Edited by .AKUMA.
  • Like 1

"Tries to hijack vessel"? In Iranian waters? Surely Iran is entitled to request any vessel to stop that it chooses to in its own waters. You might suggest the plucky Brit Royal Navy, the buccaneenring spirit of Drake and "The Navy's Here", were the ones intruding in Iranian territory. I don't beleive a single word of the crap the British Government tells us any more, particularly when it's relayed through the Daily Mail, the comic of choice for gung-go Tories everywhere. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

"Tries to hijack vessel"? In Iranian waters? Surely Iran is entitled to request any vessel to stop that it chooses to in its own waters. You might suggest the plucky Brit Royal Navy, the buccaneenring spirit of Drake and "The Navy's Here", were the ones intruding in Iranian territory. I don't beleive a single word of the crap the British Government tells us any more, particularly when it's relayed through the Daily Mail, the comic of choice for gung-go Tories everywhere. 

Is there anything to say it was in Iranian waters? 

Yes, the source is crap but the information is good. Several other more reputable sources covering the same event.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

Its clear what's happening, the UK detained an Iranian oil tanker in Gibraltar,  the Iranians tried to detain a British vessel. they just didnt count on the Royal Navy being there. at the right place at the right time and able to intervene. throughout the Royal Navy stayed in international waters.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

The Royal Navy is always intent on the job. To this day, they're still the gold standard. 

I was referring to the Iranian forces ;) 

2 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

The BBC states that this event occurred in international waters. 

Just now, RoofGardener said:

The BBC states that this event occurred in international waters. 

I think the usual suspects here are assuming Iran's word to be sacrosanct while the evildoers of the West are trying to run roughshod over the plucky little mullahs... :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, and then said:

I think the usual suspects here are assuming Iran's word to be sacrosanct while the evildoers of the West are trying to run roughshod over the plucky little mullahs... :rolleyes:

Sadly so, @and then

On a minor side-note; the Islamic Guard where wise not to press the issue. The Montrose is one of the first Type 23 Frigates to be fitted with the DS30 mK2 'Bushmaster' 30mm canon, which is automated, and specifically designed for use against small motor boat swarms. ESPECIALLY motor boat swarms operated by people with moustaches and beards. 

Had the Islamic Guard nutters pushed matters, things would have gone VERY badly for them. 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, .AKUMA. said:

I dont actually believe this was an attempt to seize anything, our media loves to blow things out of proportion, more likley a scenario of Iranian boats trying to cause an obstruction getting in the way and generally being a nuisance, much like what china is doing in the south china sea.

So just not provocative at all eh?

At some point either the Iranians will rid themselves of their leaders or someone else will I’m afraid. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, and then said:

I was referring to the Iranian forces ;) 

They were testing the waters. They found the weather, inclement. 

• Haha 1

Yesterday CNN was the sole source of an article accusing Iran's Revolutionary Guard of trying to seize a UK tanker in the Persian Gulf. Though CNN claimed there was video of the attempt, none has surfaced. Iran strongly denies any such attempt. Is this another psy-op to drum up support for a US attack on Iran? Bonus topic: A new Pew Poll shows that US military members do not believe recent wars have been "worth it." Maybe we should listen to them.

Why, it couldnt.. they wouldnt! ...Would they?

:lol:

4 hours ago, OverSword said:

So just not provocative at all eh?

At some point either the Iranians will rid themselves of their leaders or someone else will I’m afraid. 

No one said it wasnt provocative, a far cry from trying to seize a vessel though isnt it?

10 minutes ago, .AKUMA. said:

No one said it wasnt provocative, a far cry from trying to seize a vessel though isnt it?

Had the British ship not been there, a gunboat is MORE than sufficient to cow an unarmed crew.  Somali thugs have been making a living on the technique for quite a while. 

44 minutes ago, .AKUMA. said:

Who can say?  Perhaps distracting it enough to attach some charges?

42 minutes ago, and then said:

Had the British ship not been there, a gunboat is MORE than sufficient to cow an unarmed crew.  Somali thugs have been making a living on the technique for quite a while. 

Yes your right, IF there was ever the intention of seizing the boat, which is rather debatable in the first place.

9 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Who can say?  Perhaps distracting it enough to attach some charges?

Sure, if you accept the assumption that the Iranian leadership is completely brain dead and would actually benifit from such an escalation.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, .AKUMA. said:

Yes your right, IF there was ever the intention of seizing the boat, which is rather debatable in the first place.

Sure, if you accept the assumption that the Iranian leadership is completely brain dead and would actually benifit from such an escalation.

Like they did last month to a Japanese tanker while Japans president was visiting? What could ever give me such silly ideas?

2 hours ago, Phaeton80 said:

Why, it couldnt.. they wouldnt! ...Would they?

:lol:

Well let's see, which is the more unbelievable. Iranian Republican Guard make an ill-advised attempt to seize a British tanker in retaliation for the seizure of one of theirs? Or CNN broadcasts fake news to support Trump foreign policy? Yep, that's  a hard one, alright.:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, .AKUMA. said:

So ANY action purported to be by Iran is automatically suspected as a false flag, yeah?  That's a good idea, beat the CT nutters to the punch :w00t:  All kidding aside, whether you despise Trump's strategy or not, it IS working.  They are increasingly isolated and their people are becoming angry - NOT at Trump, either ;)  I realize that you may be a geopolitical expert on loan from some prestigious think tank but has it ever occurred to you that Iran's leaders consider themselves to be the smartest people in any room, despite the odd laundry choices they wear?  Aggression against those who are crippling their plans in the region may seem a perfectly suitable strategy.  

It takes smartest to go up against a super genius... 

Screenshot_2019_0712_085207.png.0394795dc35e067ffef281f4998de1f1.png

I'm sorry, a secret super genius... 

~

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Dunno.  A few years ago, a Royal Navy destroyer hit an isolated submerged rock off Lord Howe Island. It almost sank. It was the only such hazard to navigation for thousands of miles. They found it !

48 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I'm sorry, a secret super genius... 

Third_eye, how are ya, old bud? We haven't posted each other for a while but you may not care too much for this one.

Bill Gates (Microsoft), Steven Jobs (Apple) and Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook) all dropped out of college.  Oopsie!  I'm-a running :)

• Haha 1