Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pelosi Picks on newly elected women of color

OverSword

Just now, OverSword said:

Oh, so just 41 million of her fellow Americans are deplorable.  That's so much better :innocent:

Have you read any of the polling regarding this issue......hate to say it but its looking like the b**** may not have been wrong.

46 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Nobody ever brings up the fact that that these "women of color" have formed their own little clique away from the white members. I find that racist.

I think you are trying to prove a point rather than actually believing that.

I think they are a group of first or second generation Americans from some impoverished backgrounds trying to get a piece of the American dream, just like all immigrants before them.  One difference is that when the Irish were getting the worst jobs for the worst pay and living in rat infested slums, there were no Irishmen in Congress.  The Celts don't have a reputation for backing away from an argument.  If Piney's people had a representative in Congress, that person might not have sat there stoically while his people got the shaft.

These people don't hate America, they want to be a part of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Nope.  He would have found any way to humiliate them; short, ugly, stupid, can't get girls, loser, just like any other high school bully who is a master at making other people feel bad to build himself up.

Not a word about issues.  Not reasons or intelligent arguments, just name calling.

Is it really that American to glorify and make excuses for an overgrown high school bully?

Stimulus and response. He's a master at manipulating the naïve and predictable. You are thinking exactly how he wants his enemies to see him--and you don't even realize it.

• Haha 1

Good signs for America

Suburban women recoil as Trump dives into racial politics

Carol Evans approves of Donald Trump’s immigration policy. She gives him credit for the strong economy. But the Republican from the affluent Milwaukee suburbs of Waukesha County, a GOP bedrock in the state, just can’t commit to voting for the president next year like she did in 2016.

“I just don’t like the way he talks about other people,” Evans, a 79-year-old retired data entry supervisor, said recently as she walked through a shopping mall in Brookfield, Wisconsin, days after Trump fired off a racist tweet at Democratic congresswomen.

The president’s recent return to racial politics may be aimed at rallying his base of white working-class voters across rural America. But the risks of the strategy are glaring in conversations with women like Evans.

Many professional, suburban women — a critical voting bloc in the 2020 election — recoil at the abrasive, divisive rhetoric, exposing the president to a potential wave of opposition in key battlegrounds across the country.

In more than three dozen interviews by The Associated Press with women in critical suburbs, nearly all expressed dismay — or worse — at Trump’s racially polarizing insults and what was often described as unpresidential treatment of people. Even some who gave Trump credit for the economy or backed his crackdown on immigration acknowledged they were troubled or uncomfortable lining up behind the president.

11 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

WHAT? So if he were (i know the number is outlandish) 150 years old we would be OK with him arguing in favor of slavery?

No society evolves and our society had evolved to a place where public racism wasnt acceptable and should be treated as such regardless of who is spewing it or why.

Like I said, it is not ok, but the context of the society has to be considered. 

Depends on what was considered public racism. And if you mean now, or then.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

I think you are trying to prove a point rather than actually believing that.

I think they are a group of first or second generation Americans from some impoverished backgrounds trying to get a piece of the American dream, just like all immigrants before them.  One difference is that when the Irish were getting the worst jobs for the worst pay and living in rat infested slums, there were no Irishmen in Congress.  The Celts don't have a reputation for backing away from an argument.  If Piney's people had a representative in Congress, that person might not have sat there stoically while his people got the shaft.

These people don't hate America, they want to be a part of it.

I suspect, given two more generations, that their family will be much more in line with mainline Democrats. It seems first and second generation politician immigrants are usually much more liberal.

Just, IMHO, people in their teens are much more liberal. My opinion is it is inexperience.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

When your fixated color on or ethnicity, that racist and you don't seem to have a problem doing it.

Please give me an example of trump or any other politician telling a white American to go back to his country.  Your defense of his statement in this case is pretty ridiculous.

9 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Have you read any of the polling regarding this issue......hate to say it but its looking like the b**** may not have been wrong.

She's wrong about everything as far as I'm concerned.  She's right up there with the worst people alive.

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

As far as brainwashed emasculated, lately I would agree due to the large number of effeminate tech industry employees that have immigrated here.  But people from here?  No.

It's the way you come across. You've been brainwashed to think it perfectly natural to have thousands of dangerous drug addicts camped out in your public places. That it's perfectly natural to have masked hooligans roaming your streets as some sort of hallowed right of protest. You have no idea how bizarre that seems to most of the rest of the country.

23 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Good signs for America

Suburban women recoil as Trump dives into racial politics

In more than three dozen interviews by The Associated Press with women in critical suburbs, nearly all expressed dismay — or worse — at Trump’s racially polarizing insults and what was often described as unpresidential treatment of people. Even some who gave Trump credit for the economy or backed his crackdown on immigration acknowledged they were troubled or uncomfortable lining up behind the president.

I think whomever gets the D nomination will be a much heavier factor then if Trump said stupid things 15 months before the election.

If the election was this November... there might be cause to believe this could be a real factor... but...

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

What do you care what the Left says.  They are not in charge.

Who said I care?

21 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Is there a white politician who isnt racist? I've known a community college professor who said that a white people are racist. That they can't help it. And they can do nothing about it. Except act out of guilt whenever a minority is involved... apparently.

No.  I have already said this, I grew up in the South with two uncles that were KKK wannabes but too chicken.  

We cannot always erase an early life of family biases, but we can use logic and  thought to see beyond them.  We don't need to feel personal guilt or be ashamed of being white, or Scottish or Irish, or Norwegian or whatever..

Riding in a car with my two uncles when I was fourteen, I thought it was funny to see my uncles throw coke bottles out the windows at Blacks on the sidewalk.  I changed my thinking on what is funny but my uncles did not.  Now in my 60's,I am ashamed of laughing when people got hurt, and not saying a word to my uncles, or the cops about it.  It is not what color you are that matters, but how you deal with other human beings who are different than you are.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Political Cartoons by Bob Gorrell

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Please give me an example of trump or any other politician telling a white American to go back to his country.  Your defense of his statement in this case is pretty ridiculous.

The only one I ever heard tell someone that was Phil Donahue.  His response to a white supremicist saying all people of african ancestry should be put on a boat back to africa was "Wait, you have a good german name, are you going to get on a boat and go back germany?"  (I paraphrase because I don't remember the exact quote and I can't find it on the internet).  Politicians would never say that, in fact, the two that could say it and get away with it won't.

An email from Deb Haaland:

After President Trump’s racist tweets that incited a crowd of people chanting “send her back” about one of my colleagues, I decided to speak out and penned a piece highlighting the promise of America in the New York Times .

Full OP-ED is below:

Trump Wants Immigrants to ‘Go Back.’ Native Americans Don’t.
The president and his followers lack authority to tell anyone to leave this country because they are not indigenous to this land. 

Last week President Trump told four of my colleagues to “go back” to where they came from — even though all are American citizens, and only one is an immigrant. But Mr. Trump has somewhere to “go back” to as well: He is a second-generation American. For Native Americans like myself, his comments are perplexing, and wrongheaded.

If anyone can say “go back,” it’s Native Americans. My Pueblo ancestors, despite being targeted at every juncture — despite facing famine and drought — still inhabit this country today. But indigenous people aren’t asking anyone to go back to where they came from.

When I heard the chilling, hate-filled chants coming from the president’s rally the other night, I thought about my fight in a committee hearing, earlier that day, to protect my ancestral homeland of Chaco Canyon in New Mexico. The Bureau of Land Management plans to sell leases in the area for fossil fuel extraction.

In the late 1200s, my Pueblo ancestors migrated to the Rio Grande Valley from the areas of Chaco Canyon, Bears Ears, Mesa Verde, Grand Staircase Escalante and other places. I want to protect these sacred sites for future generations and against this administration’s policies that put profits over people. This administration has put a premium on leasing federal land to oil companies and neglects to consider the impacts that drilling has on sacred cultural sites.

For thousands of years, the Pueblo people have inhabited this continent. We developed food sources and a strong agricultural tradition, and we perfected rock and adobe architecture. Without Native American knowledge, experience and intelligence across this country, many Europeans would not have survived their first winter.

This is the first time in history that someone like me has a platform in Congress to give this perspective. This year, I joined Sharice Davids of Kansas as the first two Native American women elected to Congress. The resilience of our communities and our drive to protect our culture is the reason we believe that everyone has a right to be here.

The fact that the president claims this country as his own and wants to keep everyone in their place proves that he doesn’t understand his place. I question the standing of anyone who would call to send my sisters and colleagues — Congresswomen Ilhan Omar, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ayanna Pressley, Rashida Tlaib — or any other American “back.” As a 35th-generation New Mexican and a descendant of the original inhabitants of this continent, I say that the promise of our country is for everyone to find success, pursue happiness and live lives of equality. This is the Pueblo way. It’s the American way.

Those laying exclusive claim to the American dream lack a clear understanding of this country’s history. The tenets of my cultural teachings are rooted in our commitment to lift up every community member so that no one is left behind. Work and food were shared equally. Through our commitment to community, we care about children, even when they aren’t ours, and we want our old folks, and yours, to live their last days in dignity and comfort. As a member of Congress, I work to ensure that I live up to my ancestors’ legacy.

Indian policy throughout history was meant to exterminate us, but we are still here. This administration’s policies are reminiscent of the darkest days of our history: when the government took Native American children from their parents and put them in boarding schools and forced Japanese immigrants into internment camps. This is an administration that separates and cages children and asylum seekers and bars people from coming to our country and serving in our military based on who they are or how they worship. Racism and bigotry should never fuel any administration’s policies. Calls to send anyone “back” contradict who we should be as a country and the ideals for which we stand.

The president’s tweets and words matter. It’s on all of us to call out what is pure hate and racism and stand up for one another. There is no moral high ground from which President Trump or any of his followers can tell anyone to leave this country, because they are not the first inhabitants of this land. They should instead look into their history to learn where, when and why their ancestors came to this country.

There is space for everyone here — we must look back to our Native American history to remember that.

In solidarity,
Member of Congress

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

You've been brainwashed to think it perfectly natural to have thousands of dangerous drug addicts camped out in your public places.

I'm a libertarian.  I think everyone has the right to be addicted to drugs if they want.  I think all drugs should be legal.  If you are hurting other people you should be charged and arrested.  If you are littering you should be charged.  If you are stealing you should be charged.  If you have laws about vagrancy they should be enforced.  I personally think we have these homeless drug addicts because of the war on drugs.  I'm not surprised you're trying to change the subject as you've pretty much lost the whole trump made a racist tweet argument.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, OverSword said:

I'm a libertarian.  I think everyone has the right to be addicted to drugs if they want.  I think all drugs should be legal.  If you are hurting other people you should be charged and arrested.  If you are littering you should be charged.  If you are stealing you should be charged.  If you have laws about vagrancy they should be enforced.  I personally think we have these homeless drug addicts because of the war on drugs.  I'm not surprised you're trying to change the subject as you've pretty much lost the whole trump made a racist tweet argument.

You have those homeless from all over the country because you tolerate that kind of behavior there. I wouldn't be surprised if other cities buy them bus tickets to Seattle and Portland. As for your pathetic declaration of victory……,.,

Political Cartoons by AF Branco

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

You have those homeless from all over the country because you tolerate that kind of behavior there. I wouldn't be surprised if other cities buy them bus tickets to Seattle and Portland. As for your pathetic declaration of victory……,.,

Political Cartoons by AF Branco

What would be a good deterrent for "that kind of behavior"?

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

It's not me that tolerates it.  Am I a lawmaker or policy setter?  Do you suggest I rent a bulldozer and push them all into the bay?  Might get arrested but it is an idea.

35 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

No I know the context it doesnt change in the slightest. If you march with Nazis you are scum holy hell that seems like a basic American tenet

True. So you hate all Germans? They all supported the Nazis at some point, right. Actively or passively? All Germans are Nazis? Or is the context, and each person's current actions to be considered?

And you hate the Japanese too. Right? After all WW2...

Edited by DieChecker

@OverSword Totally off topic but I think we're gonna make a MASSIVE life change (again) and leave the desert for coastal WA for a couple of years. Possibly Ocean Shores type locale.......any suggestions of small towns in the area to look into , or conversely ones to stay away from?

20 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Stimulus and response. He's a master at manipulating the naïve and predictable. You are thinking exactly how he wants his enemies to see him--and you don't even realize it.

You bet, I just call them like I see them. I trust people so I guess I am naive.  I have a code of ethics and morals, and I am law abiding so that makes me pretty predictable.

I haven't lost sight of the fact that in addition to being an overgrown bully he is a manipulative bast***.. trying to focus the story ion himself and make us forget the rest.

I haven't forgotten that Mueller just testified, that not everybody is comfortable with people in cages on the border, that the Chinese still haven't given in, that Kim is testing missiles again, that Putin has just said the Soviet Union will be targeting command and strategic centers in the US if we deploy missiles in Europe,  that roads are crumbling and bridges are collapsing, that cities are plagued by crime and poverty.  

If he wants me to dislike him personally, he has succeeded.  If he wants me to forget he is incompetent at his job, he has failed.

3 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

@OverSword Totally off topic but I think we're gonna make a MASSIVE life change (again) and leave the desert for coastal WA for a couple of years. Possibly Ocean Shores type locale.......any suggestions of small towns in the area to look into , or conversely ones to stay away from?

I know you didn't ask me, but I think Newport, Oregon is a really nice little town and the county seat of what ever county it is.  And based on the software we had to update every year Oregon seems to be the most truly democratic state in the union.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

True. So you hate all Germans? They all supported the Nazis at some point, right. Actively or passively? All Germans are Nazis? Or is the context, and each person's current actions to be considered?

Hate? No of course not and I of course dont hate a people for their history.

Now if you are asking me to teleport back in time then this would be a good comparison to what we're talking about today. Only one of the people in this pic is a "very fine person".

august_landmesser_2.jpg

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

Nothing to stay away from but Bainbridge Island is a good place.  Ferry boat ride from Seattle.  A lot of people are leaning towards the housing Market in Tacoma lately.  Bellingham up by the Canadian border, that's quite nice.