Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First 3-D images of 'oldest Christian church'

Still Waters

For the first-ever time, scientists at the NUST MISIS have scanned the underground space in the Derbent fortress of Naryn-Kala using muon radiography. The theory of archeologists concerning the use of the building as a Christian temple is well on the way to be valid. If this hypothesis is affirmed, this building is perhaps the oldest churches in the world.

The 12-meter building is covered up under the ground. Just a fragment of a half-destroyed dome is visible over the surface. This building in the northwestern part of the Naryn-Kala fortress in Derbent dates back to around 300 A.D. Until this point in time, the function of the building has not been resolved.

https://www.techexplorist.com/scientists-obtained-first-3-d-images-of-the-oldest-christian-church-in-russia/24730/

• Like 4

• The title was changed to First 3-D images of 'oldest Christian church'

Interesting pictures.  I would like to know what makes them think it is related to chrisitanity. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

I would like to know what makes them think it is related to chrisitanity. 

It's just a guess but probably the shape of it (a cross) and the fact the Arabs buried it.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Piney said:

It's just a guess but probably the shape of it (a cross) and the fact the Arabs buried it.

I laugh because that is not a "traditional christian cross shape"  It is more like the ancient cross shapes.  I think christians just want to pretend they own the world.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I laugh because that is not a "traditional christian cross shape"  It is more like the ancient cross shapes.  I think christians just want to pretend they own the world.

Latin Cross was the usual shape. Sometimes with equal "arms". 

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

Latin Cross was the usual shape. Sometimes with equal "arms". 

Right, Latin, not christian.  Which came first and who hammered their traditions into the"christian religion"?  (rhetorical question, I know the answer, though most people don't)

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Right, Latin, not christian.  Which came first and who hammered their traditions into the"christian religion"?  (rhetorical question, I know the answer, though most people don't)

Egyptians were the first Christians outside of Palestine. Then North Africans. Augustine of Hippo was Numidian. But the Catholics were teaching he was "Phoenician" up until the Internet Age because of racism. 

"Pauline" Christianity was twisted for a Roman Audience. 

• Like 1

There were no churches that big before Constantine. The structure might have been a church between 400 and 700, but if it were a church (and nothing in that article or in the photos indicate this is anything but Russian self-aggrandizing), it would rewrite a lot of very confirmed history. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Thanks 1