Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Video of manta ray 'asking' for help goes viral

Still Waters

A video of a giant manta ray 'asking' a snorkelling guide to save her has gone viral on social media.

The video, captured near Ningaloo Reef of Western Australia. shows a wide manta ray approaching a group of water divers for help.

She came to the divers and flipped on the surface of the water to show them the hook stuck in her eye.

https://www.deccanherald.com/specials/video-of-manta-ray-asking-for-help-goes-viral-746605.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Video of manta ray 'asking' for help goes viral

26 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

A video of a giant manta ray 'asking' a snorkelling guide to save her has gone viral on social media.

The video, captured near Ningaloo Reef of Western Australia. shows a wide manta ray approaching a group of water divers for help.

She came to the divers and flipped on the surface of the water to show them the hook stuck in her eye.

https://www.deccanherald.com/specials/video-of-manta-ray-asking-for-help-goes-viral-746605.html

That is amazing, in truth if I didn't see I would find difficult to beleive. 

All I can is Wow!!! 

• Like 2

Just the other day I was taking my boys down to the creek to swim. When we got to the waters edge we saw this robin, she had gotten tangled up with some fishing string that was laying there. So we went to help her, and at first she freaked out, obviously. So I started talking really soft, and as gently as I could I held her in my hand to try and see how bad she was tangled up. Soon as this bird understood I wasn't gonna hurt her, she actually laid right on her back and calmly waited for me to remove all the string. You could see her stress level just getting lower and lower the more I spoke to her. Very cool experience.

• Like 2

Update:

Freckles the manta ray 'doing well' after being freed from hooks

Jake dived down several times, each time swimming up close and removing the hooks from her skin. Freckles waited patiently for him to finish.

Jake has since checked in on Freckles and told BBC News that she's doing well, and may even have recognised him.

"I went down for a dive [to check up on her] and she stopped and hung around for about 30 seconds above me - it was pretty wild," he said. "They have self-awareness and can recognise individual manta rays, so she could have recognised me."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-48981458

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1