Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Michelle

Blue beach hut in Wales sells for £110K

12 posts in this topic

Michelle

A RUN-DOWN beach hut with no running water or power has sold at auction for a whopping £110,000.

The shabby hut with peeling blue paint sold for the staggering amount because it overlooks one of the UK’s best beaches.

The hut is 11ft by 10ft, peeling with paint and has no power or water. The crowd at the auction in the Crowne Plaza Hotel, Liverpool, tittered before bidding opened.

Sutton Kersh auctioneer Andrew Binstock joked: “They sell anything these days.”

But he added: “I know the beach at Abersoch having been there myself, these beach huts are highly sought after."

https://usatodaypost.com/run-down-blue-beach-hut-in-wales-sells-for-110k-despite-having-no-power-or-water-as-it-overlooks-one-of-britains-best-beaches/

You can't even stay in them overnight? Is this for real? Can anyone verify this? I can't fathom...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dejarma
18 minutes ago, Michelle said:

You can't even stay in them overnight? Is this for real? Can anyone verify this? I can't fathom...

i've no details but i'd guess it's a rich businessman/woman who for some reason doesn't share the wealth with the workers! it was probably bought by someone who can't think of anything else to do with the tons of money they have! Ya know: 'buy crap like this rather than sharing the money with those who are responsible for earning it for them'...

Setton
28 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Pffft bargain if it was in London. 

Stiff

This may be one motive...

"You can rent a beach hut at the Welsh hotspot for £400 per week."

There's obviously money to be made from these.

"Another shack on the beach sold for £160,000 in summer 2017."

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Michelle

No way, no how...

I could see it if they at least had plumbing and electricity but that is ridiculous. Not to mention they are all like three feet apart lined up and down the beach. These people never heard of a boat? 

Thank you to the Mod who found a good link.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

susieice

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Beach_Huts_on_Abersoch_Beach.jpg#/media/File:Beach_Huts_on_Abersoch_Beach.jpg

This is a pic from wiki. There's a lot of those huts there. I would say $110,000 is a little steep but I don't remember seeing these along the Atlantic coast here in the US.

• Like 1

Michelle

It makes me appreciate our natural resources you don't have to be filthy rich to access. 

Those things sell for under $500 in the US, to park your lawnmower and weed eater in...in the back yard.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

DieChecker

I bet the Home Owners Association fees are MURDEROUS!!

But, at least they come by and cut the grass in front of the place once a month...

Edited by DieChecker

Still Waters

Abersoch beach is supposed to be very nice. I've never been but I know people who have.

This year the beach was included in the Blue Flag status awards.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/trips-breaks/18-north-wales-beaches-awarded-16280044

Even so, I don't see how that justifies paying £110k for a beach hut whatever its condition. I don't see the need in beach huts anyway, whenever I went to a beach I just made do with a towel. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

DieChecker
39 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

I don't see the need in beach huts anyway, whenever I went to a beach I just made do with a towel. 

I usually just pack everything into a big tub and drag it out to where ever we're going to be sitting at. But then I have kids, otherwise I'd not even bring a towel.

Eight dollars... Done...

GUEST_0187abc2-6183-4c26-ab47-e8e7dfdd51

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

aztek

location location location.  

it is not unusual for burned down house in some areas of Brooklyn to be sold for 500k

Edited by aztek

Iilaa'mpuul'xem

I don't need a beach hut, I will stick to the nudist beaches and all the wobbly bits it has to offer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1