Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery as postman buries letters in forest

UM-Bot

7 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

I'd like to see him try that with emails...

Don't worry all your emails are safely stored here. :D

aerial-utah-data-center.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

They tend to get a bit odd, postmen. :unsure2: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

They often go postal.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Exactly why the postman buried the letters as he did however continues to remain a total mystery.

Lazy comes to mind.

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

USPS laziness is much more efficient. They just throw undelivered mail in the trash, or better yet, into random mailboxes.

In all seriousness, though, I can't stand stories like this. I've never worked for the postal service, per se, but I did work in a mail room for 2 years. The mail is important. Imagine how many people missed a payment, or some other time sensitive document? That sort of thing can mess up your whole life...For a long time. If you can't handle the responsibility for that, or the workload, get a job in retail or something.

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

Image result for the mail keeps coming!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

People are saying this is laziness but that’s probably not it. Depression or drug addiction is my guess.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

People are saying this is laziness but that’s probably not it. Depression or drug addiction is my guess.

Some sort of mental illness, no doubt 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Some sort of mental illness, no doubt 

I'd think so. It takes much less work to just deliver the mail than drag it out somewhere, dig holes and bury it. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, South Alabam said:

Exactly why the postman buried the letters as he did however continues to remain a total mystery.

Lazy comes to mind.

Digging the holes in a forest look like a bigger job than doing delivery to me.... but probably he had to much of them in his home.

• Like 2

I met a postman who was fired for taking mail home.  He lived in New York and when he moved to New Mexico he still had boxes and boxes (those plastic postal boxes) of mail.  Most of it was junk mail but not all of it.  He was definitely a half a bubble off mentally.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dig a hole each day and bury all the mails takes 1 hour. Deliver all the mails to houses takes 1 day, probably more.

I am a postman and I am willing to bet that that dude has a grudge against his employer, most likely to wages or incentives not being paid.
Where I worked we had similar problems in the past, for example, my previous boss didn't pay his employees because he didn't feel like it and so loads of crates with invoices letters were taken from the warehouse and destroyed, others dumped the letters in the trash others in the middle of the forest, needless to say these guys were fired and were VERY LUCKY not be indicted by the police because the companies that hired the serviced were appalec with the disrespected that guy gave. Luckily a new company was founded under new management and most employees transited from one company to the other.

When the events above happened I refused to deliver mail to areas where I had to use my motorcycle, so it was nearly 3 months where rural folks didn't received their utilities invoices, they ended up paying me nearly €500 owed for expenses I had with motorcycle maintenance, insurances and fuel and overtime.

Later the new management decided that these expenses should be covered by me exclusively thus breaking out oral agreement was broken (€150 for motorcycle expenses like fuel maintenance etc, YES very cheap even for portuguese standards),  so I decided unilaterally that I was not going to use my motorcycle and because I was doing around 50 to 60 km (31-37 miles) per day on average the mail was not being delivered. For 3 months no one in upper management noticed this and that they were paying nearly €500 a month for using public postal services, when they figured out that running costs were extremely high they asked my direct manager what was going on, he told them since they were not paying me there was no reason for I to do these deliveries. A meeting was arranged, where the upper regional  manager, the HR manager  and I met, they asked me why I was not doing my job to which I replied because they owed me money, they noted that the my expenses were not covered in my contract  and that they (I KID YOU NOT) were not a solidarity foundation, they were a business and I was not fulfilling my contract. I smiled and replied "You are correct, there is nothing in my contract regarding expenses being covered by you.....or me, and let me remind you that  there isn't any clause that states I have to provide my own transportation, and because I am not a volunteer at any organizations, non profitable or otherwise, therefor I will not work for free because I too have bills to pay, because you are trying to transfer to me YOUR running costs while keeping all the profits" They argued that my service was too expensive, to which I replied to fire me and get someone to do it cheaper, which is basically impossible as in this industry postmen with their own transportation are paid by km and end up with around €200-€250 more expensive and not by a fixed lower monthly (€150) fee like me.
They only stopped arguing when I told them that they either fired me and pay all that was owed or pay me all that was owed and return to the agreement, there was no 3rd option as I am more qualified than them at logistics because at the time I was nearly ending my college degree in logistics so I actually "understand" more about the distribution costs and issues than them.
And here I am 3 years later still working for them, once in a while I ear them say they are not happy with my performance and I always reply that they can fire me at any moment if not happy with my service. PS.: My performance is up to standards and all I have to do now is to deliver my last report to graduate and to **** of here.

On 7/13/2019 at 2:41 PM, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

One of my friends is a retired postman, and he seems pretty normal to me. 

But then again, one of the previous occupants of the house I live in now, also works for the post office, and I still to this day, find some crazy things in the house, that was left from before. 

On 7/13/2019 at 4:12 PM, South Alabam said:

Lazy comes to mind.

Were most of the mail, bills? In some sense in his mind, was he thinking he was doing people a favor? 

On 7/13/2019 at 4:13 PM, Seti42 said:

USPS laziness is much more efficient. They just throw undelivered mail in the trash, or better yet, into random mailboxes.

In all seriousness, though, I can't stand stories like this. I've never worked for the postal service, per se, but I did work in a mail room for 2 years. The mail is important. Imagine how many people missed a payment, or some other time sensitive document? That sort of thing can mess up your whole life...For a long time. If you can't handle the responsibility for that, or the workload, get a job in retail or something.

I would think that would be a federal offense here. If I'm correct on that, that is. I wonder what the Netherlands's law about that is. 

On 7/13/2019 at 9:53 PM, OverSword said:

I would think something like, or psychological. This is reminding me back at the time when we lived in base housing in another state. The garbage people who picks up the trash for housing, ended up dumping their truck right in the middle of the parking lot of our housing court one time. 

I had a feeling someone kind of lost it. *shrugs* 

And from what I understand, there were a lot of complaint calls to the particular department on the base, and that one or a few were disciplined. (I don't know about getting help............. though I hoped so.)

On 7/14/2019 at 2:25 PM, Desertrat56 said:

I met a postman who was fired for taking mail home.  He lived in New York and when he moved to New Mexico he still had boxes and boxes (those plastic postal boxes) of mail.  Most of it was junk mail but not all of it.  He was definitely a half a bubble off mentally.

What part of New York and when? I use to live in Upstate New York years ago, and that might explain some of my missing mail! :o  

No, seriously, there are things I have not received after sending things in, when I lived up there. But, really, I don't think he did it. ;)  

I do agree with some assessment's here. Where bills, and other important things arrive through these means, people not receiving what they need, could cause some really big problems. 

39 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

What part of New York and when? I use to live in Upstate New York years ago, and that might explain some of my missing mail! :o  

No, seriously, there are things I have not received after sending things in, when I lived up there. But, really, I don't think he did it. ;)  

I do agree with some assessment's here. Where bills, and other important things arrive through these means, people not receiving what they need, could cause some really big problems. 

I don't know, I think close to New York city or in New York city.  He was a nut and he had been raised by a single mother in the 60's who found it was easier to jump in front of a cab and collect insurance money than to find a job.  I don't know who took care of him when she was in the hospital.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Sad 1

It's fun sometimes to wonder why people do things like this, but I used to notice similar things in my area.  Like I've witnessed paperboys dump a full bag of papers in the brook for example.
Usually just to get out of delivering them.

15 minutes ago, Kaikou said:

It's fun sometimes to wonder why people do things like this, but I used to notice similar things in my area.  Like I've witnessed paperboys dump a full bag of papers in the brook for example.
Usually just to get out of delivering them.

I have never noticed that but I have noticed people of a certain age refusing to help customers in shops by simply saying "We don't have that" when in fact they did.  I came in to that store because they do have it.  I once drove away from one Autozone after being told by a barely 20 year old boy that they didn't have it and he wouldn't look it up when I needed a part.  I went 10 miles to the next autozone and the woman behind the counter pulled it off the shelf without having to look it up because she knew her job.  I wanted some 10 1/2 size shoes in a Clarks store once and asked if I could order them and the 20 something girl behind the counter insisted that Clarkes didn't make 10 1/2 so I loudly told her so that her manager in the back could hear, "ok thanks, I will just go to JC Pennys to order them then since you don't want to help me".  (I think they were less expensive at Pennys anyway)  [I use the term boy and girl because of their attitudes, not their age]

Some people just don't care.