Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My first New Earther!

DirtyDocMartens

I've never met one .  I can't understand how they explain fossils in ROCK, for instance. Do they actually believe God made the Grand Canyon...pretty much the way it is now?!     ..and mountains fully formed?   I don't get it.

4 minutes ago, lightly said:

I've never met one .  I can't understand how they explain fossils in ROCK, for instance. Do they actually believe God made the Grand Canyon...pretty much the way it is now?!     ..and mountains fully formed?   I don't get it.

Yep.

Fossils were put there by God as a test of faith. Apparently??????

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 14/7/2019 at 12:41 AM, Habitat said:

Main thing, you got a strong sense of superiority out of this conversation. But, such people really don't represent proof that religious beliefs are void. That would be extrapolating beyond the data, which a good science person would never, ever do.

That's what you gleamed from the OP?

Wow, I suppose you didn't feel a strong sense of superiority when you were writing and proof reading your post?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 14/7/2019 at 11:21 AM, Piney said:

I met a engineering PHD that was one. I avoided conversation with him. :lol:

Then several Nation of Islam members in prison were Young Earth Creationists. 

I'd avoid conversation with him too, PhD in Engineering...pfft dude must be crazy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

One of my brothers became a born-again Christian when he was about 18, and met his wife at an Elim Pentecostal Church. The nicest bloke you could ever meet, and there's nothing remotely weird about him (unlike me! :w00t:),  but he insists that dinosaur fossils were planted by the Devil.

It's strangely comforting to know that the devoutly religious have their conspiracy theories too.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, danydandan said:

PhD in Engineering

I've dealt with enough mechanical engineers to know they have a few cogs in the head-space loose.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Beliefs undermine science, beliefs taught to young people (like YEC garbology) I feel is a form.of child abuse. Moderate believers lend credibility to, and inspire more radical beliefs. Religions cause divides in humanity and hold back progress. Religion is an enemy of reason and mostly helps complacency rather than anything else. 

Beliefs should stand to scrutiny like any other aspect of life. 

Your belief causes division as well... I don’t care what religion you are, I’m not too concerned with your ability to reason until the moment I am made responsible for your actions or you believe you should harm others. I can get along with atheist, Christians, satanist, goths, preps, straight or “alternative lifestyle” folks, whatever race-I just don’t care about people’s fancies when it comes to separation because it’s ridiculous. 

Religion has its downfalls, but what else brings groups of people together? Religion is the last stronghold of communities in my opinion. Communities that, though they may be selective, bond over core values. 

Ive often pondered how to create the same social bonding without religion... and without boundaries. Built on something real and creates the same real human to human bonding...

as far as progress I think we are doing just fine, not to mention the contributions of the early jesuits towards progress. We will progress as a people, collectively.

Who determines what level of scrutiny we should hold a belief to? If we consider ourselves to possibly be in a simulation, the Christians could very well have the right program. Anything is possible in the scenario of simulation. I think it is more important to focus on human bonding than the elimination of quackery..

1 minute ago, Wes83 said:

Ive often pondered how to create the same social bonding without religion... and without boundaries. Built on something real and creates the same real human to human bonding...

Sports.

• Thanks 4

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Sports.

When’s the last time a fellow sports fan you met at the game became a life long friend whom you actually developed a sincere friendship with?

when I was in high school we would actually meet up after the game for school rivalry fights, they were epic!

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Sports.

Racism too.

• Like 1

Just now, Wes83 said:

When’s the last time a fellow sports fan you met at the game became a life long friend whom you actually developed a sincere friendship with?

when I was in high school we would actually meet up after the game for school rivalry fights, they were epic!

See, unification through violence. The good old fashion way. 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Can someone clue me in on where exactly did this 6000 year figure came from?

Some Catholic priest. Irish man too. James Ussher calculated it.

Edit: Actually he wasn't Catholic.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That word has no meaning anymore.

Well, it does to lots of people. Like the KKK, for example.

• Like 1

Some Catholic priest. Irish man too. James Ussher calculated it.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the highest. How drunk was he?

Well, it does to lots of people. Like the KKK, for example.

That might be so, but when the word is tossed around like a live hand-grenade at everyone. It doesn't much matter. Well, it doesn't matter to mutts like me anyway.

11 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

It might have to do with the judaic calendar, but I thought it was 5000.

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Very intelligent man, so he was. His works are prolific. He was a professor at my Alma mater back in the 1600's. 

He was probably p***ed drunk.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Did ye miss the part that said he was Irish:D

• Haha 6

Just now, Jodie.Lynne said:

Did ye miss the part that said he was Irish?  :D

Oh, I know the Irish. It's in me blood. From my great great granny on my dads side. So is Cherokee and who the F knows on my mom's side. 

15 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Ussher calculated the 6000 year date from adding up all the generations of the patriarchs in the OT.

He established that earth was created at nightfall on October 22nd, 4004 BC.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Ussher calculated the 6000 year date from adding up all the generations of the patriarchs in the OT.

He established that earth was created at nightfall on October 22nd, 4004 BC.

But if his date was 6000 years ago in 1600 something then it is now 6400 + years old. 

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

But if his date was 6000 years ago in 1600 something then it is now 6400 + years old. 

It's even more ridiculous if you take the Chinese and Hebrew calendars into account.

• Thanks 1