Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What kind of decision-maker are you?

Still Waters

For some people, making decisions can feel paralysing, while for others it barely even registers. New research suggests the level of stress we feel when making choices relates to what kind of decision-maker we are.

As you might expect, those who veer towards a quicker and more decisive way of picking between several options aren't as likely to get stressed out by an impending choice as those who prefer to weigh up all the options before committing.

https://www.sciencealert.com/how-much-stress-you-feel-when-making-choices-depends-on-what-kind-of-decision-maker-you-are

• Like 4

Depends on if it has long term or short term effects. I tend to weigh my decisions around that. 

• Like 5

I'm a chronic procrastinator. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just know I am not very patient with the procrastinators in this world.  I like to make a decision and then get on with it.  Yet, I have phobic anxiety - work that one out!

• Haha 1

It totally depends and I think most will occasionally be both sorts.

Sometimes, the choice is in your face, and urgent. Shoot or don't shoot.

Sometimes, it is less urgent and you can take your time to think options. When do we go on vacation?

• Like 3

I give instructions. 

I expect .. nay demand.. that they be completed. 

ON PAIN OF CRUSHING !

• Haha 1

I can take a month to figure out which jeans belt I wanna buy, so...yea. On the other hand, I can go to publix or Trader Joe's fully prepared with a $30 shopping list but come home with $300 worth of crap. 

Edited by Not Your Huckleberry
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I'm a chronic procrastinator. 

Napoleon Hill said that, Procrastination and Indecision are twin brothers...where you will find one, you will usually find the other.

I tend to stay on top of absolutely everything.  All we really have is the one moment of NOW...anything that needs to be done needs to be done NOW...or scheduled for a particular time on a particular day which at some point will coincide with the eternal moment of NOW.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Susanc241 said:

I just know I am not very patient with the procrastinators in this world.  I like to make a decision and then get on with it.  Yet, I have phobic anxiety - work that one out!

So lemme get this straight... You make a clear and effective decision based on the facts, then worry yourself into a mess over it?  Or is your phobic anxiety directed towards other issues quite separate to decision making?

9 hours ago, joc said:

Napoleon Hill said that, Procrastination and Indecision are twin brothers...where you will find one, you will usually find the other.

I tend to stay on top of absolutely everything.  All we really have is the one moment of NOW...anything that needs to be done needs to be done NOW...or scheduled for a particular time on a particular day which at some point will coincide with the eternal moment of NOW.

22 hours ago, Susanc241 said:

Clearly you guys have never heard the sage advice, often mis-applied to many figures of the past including White Eagle and Ben Franklin:

"When in doubt, do nothing."

On the other hand, this principle can be abused, and most decisions have a ticking clock, beyond which doing nothing is in fact a decision of its own.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

So lemme get this straight... You make a clear and effective decision based on the facts, then worry yourself into a mess over it?  Or is your phobic anxiety directed towards other issues quite separate to decision making?

Quite separate.  My phobia is based on fear of being away from home, or more correctly, travelling. It’s what used to be called agoraphobia.  InI places where I AM comfortable, like my workplace before retirement, I was forthright, happy to take the lead where necessary and confident in my abilities.  But I struggled on the trip to and from my place of work.  The workplace became my second 'safe place' after my own home.  I didn’t change my job very often.

7 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Clearly you guys have never heard the sage advice, often mis-applied to many figures of the past including White Eagle and Ben Franklin:

"When in doubt, do nothing."

On the other hand, this principle can be abused, and most decisions have a ticking clock, beyond which doing nothing is in fact a decision of its own.

What has that got to do with anything I said?

Hmmmm,   What kind of decision maker am I ?   .....hmmmmm  ..I'm not sure.   I guess i'll have to think agout it, I can't decide right now.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

I drift until  I crash on a reef of opportunity

Nice!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

5 second rule.

I've been using it. It does work. I think it becomes a conditioned response. Though a good one. 5.4.3.2.1.ACT!

Awesome!  :tu:

• Thanks 1

I usually decide quickly on things and make it a habit to choose the option that makes the least sense. 

When I have an important decision to make, I often write down on a piece of paper the pros and cons of deciding to do one thing or the other.

Edited by MainerMikeBrown

• 4 weeks later...

I read an article a while back that talked about a theory of unconscious thought which is also the title of the article by Dijksterhuis and Nordgren, 2006. Basically, conscious thought (thinking about it intentionally, weighing pros and cons, etc.) is better if the decision we are making is simple. However, if the decision is complex, unconscious thought ("instinct") is the better mode of thinking because our subconscious is always comparing attributes about the options we are choosing between. One of the take aways of the article is to give your "instinct" more credit and validity in decision making. We often think going with your instinct is irrational because we haven't sat down and really thought about it, however, that's not true. Good read for anyone who's into cognitive psychology or decision making in general.

• Like 1

I am sort of a kinesthetic learner when it comes to decision making.

Indecisively decisive... When I change my mind, i stays the same... 

~

• Haha 2

On 8/15/2019 at 1:20 PM, third_eye said:

Indecisively decisive... When I change my mind, i stays the same... 

~

I thought you used a Magic 8 Ball for decision making?

• Haha 1

Ooh too many variables. Age and experience color a lot. When I was younger I decided to do a lot of stupid stuff all the time. Nearing fifty it's like nope. Rather really lay it all out and think long and hard. I've had anxiety all my life but it was probably more fun doing stupid decisions but I had less to lose, more time to waste. Seems like now a wrong choice will bite me in the ass harder. 

• Like 1

(1) Gather info.  (2) Analyze info.  (3) Formulate plan based on best info. (4) Act on plan. (5) Modify plan when something doesn't go according to plan.  (6) Profit.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 1