Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do some Magicians have supernatural powers

Grim Reaper 6

I have always been interested in magic, and I also always thought it was just illusion. However, now I am kinda on the fence, it seems that some of the Magicians that have been around for the last 10 to 15 are performing magic that goes beyond illusions.

Please add your thoughts on this subject, give examples, and  add links.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

No.

They do pay a lot of money for people who can figure out how to do an "impossible" trick.  These tricks usually end up as trade secrets.

And with youtube and video today, it's easy to do a lot of things that look very magical.  Heck, with a youtube setup, I can look like I'm summoning a flight of real angels to do a Blue Angel style flyover.

I am not talking about Youtube, your right it to easy to photoshop an image. I was talking about magicians like Chris Angle who performs tricks out on the street in public places, like levitation and some other tricks. I have seen the guy in Vegas, both on the street and his show at the Luxor. Even if everything is an illusion this guy great,. I saw him levitate 20 feet in the air on the street, how he does I have no clue.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

It depends on the angle of the camera (viewer) and your ability to focus your attention on what he wants you to look at.  It's a lot of skill and a lot of practice and specialized equipment.  

There's lots of pages showing how these things are done. https://www.bing.com/search?q=how+does+chris+angel+levitate&PC=U316&FORM=CHROMN  You can teach yourself how to do it (though it takes loads of practice to be sorta decent at it.)

I worked a haunted house with a magician.  A friend of my mother-in-law worked for David Copperfield.  He didn't reveal David's tricks to me but he did say it was just athletic ability, correct staging, angles for the viewers, and attention manipulation.

There's nothing occult about it.

Thanks for your thoughts on this subject, I appreciate it.

also thanks for the links

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pixiii said:

I know the levitation trick isn't real, but it's still amazing to me.  

https://secrets-explained.com/criss-angel/levitation 

And who doesn't love Criss Angel! :D

Thanks for you link that was interesting, and it's  what I would have thought he was doing.

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1

There are some great magicians of all types. No magic though. Illusion, slight of hand etc..

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, South Alabam said:

There are some great magicians of all types. No magic though. Illusion, slight of hand etc..

I think you are correct, but somewhere deep inside me I am not fully committed to this answer. My wife and along with a number of other saw Chris Angle levitate out on the street in Vegas. It was amazing because you could walk around like l did and look at all the angles. I mean I was less than 10 feet away, and I could not see or find anything he was attached too.

It was eye opening.

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2

Really?

There are some Christians who think illusionists have sold their soul to the devil, but then they likely believe mental illness is also caused by demons.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Really?

There are some Christians who think illusionists have sold their soul to the devil, but then they likely believe mental illness is also caused by demons.

I think you are certain right, however, I think part of that is caused by the images of skulls and demons that many use as props. But some of the Christian sects do certainly take things to higher level.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I think you are correct, but somewhere deep inside me I am not fully committed to this answer. My wife and along with a number of other saw Chris Angle levitate out on the street in Vegas. It was amazing because you could walk around like l did and look at all the angles. I mean I was less than 10 feet away, and I could not see or find anything he was attached too.

It was eye opening.

But could you stand next to him?  Keeping the crowd 10 feet away means that you're not going to see the wires.  Were you allowed to walk all over the area immediately after?

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I have always been interested in magic, and I also always thought it was just illusion. However, now I am kinda on the fence, it seems that some of the Magicians that have been around for the last 10 to 15 are performing magic that goes beyond illusions.

So you're talking about stagecraft right?

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

So you're talking about stagecraft right?

Yes 

8 hours ago, Kenemet said:

But could you stand next to him?  Keeping the crowd 10 feet away means that you're not going to see the wires.  Were you allowed to walk all over the area immediately after?

No we were not, I see your point makes sense.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 7/15/2019 at 12:42 PM, Manwon Lender said:

I am not talking about Youtube, your right it to easy to photoshop an image. I was talking about magicians like Chris Angle who performs tricks out on the street in public places, like levitation and some other tricks. I have seen the guy in Vegas, both on the street and his show at the Luxor. Even if everything is an illusion this guy great,. I saw him levitate 20 feet in the air on the street, how he does I have no clue.

I find it so funny when another stage magician looks at someone doing stage magic and assumes that because they themselves can't figure out how it was done that it must be real magic.  Welcome to the audience chump (jk).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah ask uri geller he made Boris Jonsson win with magic :D :D the nutter :-). 

Edited by 'Walt' E. Kurtz
  • Haha 3

On 7/15/2019 at 5:23 PM, Manwon Lender said:

It was eye opening.

On one instance, the trick went wrong and he had to be rushed to hospital. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, psyche101 said:

On one instance, the trick went wrong and he had to be rushed to hospital. 

That really sucks, he is a great Magician, I really enjoy his performances.

peace

• Like 2

On 7/15/2019 at 3:14 AM, Manwon Lender said:

Nah. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

I find it so funny when another stage magician looks at someone doing stage magic and assumes that because they themselves can't figure out how it was done that it must be real magic.  Welcome to the audience chump (jk).

Well thanks I appreciate your a view here. To each his own for sure, however, I don't know where this thought that I am a stage magician is coming from, but anyway cool.

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

That really sucks, he is a great Magician, I really enjoy his performances.

peace

Indeed. I agree. Never seen him live, but what I have seen is pretty impressive.

But shows its tricks, as they can go wrong.

• Thanks 1

I don't believe anyone has supernatural powers.I hate magic tricks and magicians,I think it's boring and deceiptful.If they made themselves disappear for good I may applaud though.:D

• Haha 1