Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spiritual or science

God Lover

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

So.

It's just chemicals talking, Xeno, expressing thoughts that don't mean she-it.

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

It's just chemicals talking, Xeno, expressing thoughts that don't mean she-it.

Technically none of our opinions matter. It's all **** talk. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/2/2019 at 7:04 PM, Habitat said:

get along with the team ? Don't lecture me about sticking to thread topics, you deviate constantly, and can't even get the forum category right, insisting it to be the "skeptical section". You are just trying to shut down dissent, at every turn.

518738982_carljung.jpg.f848578c5fb211b9d80e5214e67a7aef.jpg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Love is just a chemical.

God is a chemical?

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Opinions do matter. How we live matters. Leaving the world better then where you fiund it should matter. 

If God is real or not, shouldnt matter, until you are dead. However, those who are of the opinion to follow religion think insurance is a good thing. 

Edited by DieChecker

5 hours ago, danydandan said:

I can't fathom how anyone who thought/think they "heard" a voice in their mind, assumed initially that it was/is a spirit/ghost/godly being/insert nonsensical imaginary being here. 

My initial thoughts would be.....oh maybe I am going insane.

Depends on if the voice is correct? Some of those internal "voices" are there to keep you alive.

If I heard a voice, and it was saying something important, I'd go ask other people to think about it too, and pray about it, and perhaps speak to a councilor. Point being, dont just listen to the voice saying to sell the house and move to Brazil. Crazy people usually hear crazy things.

2 hours ago, DieChecker said:

God is a chemical?

Yes. An idea that's associated with feel good chemicals in the brain, the holy dopamine and serotonin ghost. 

2 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Opinions do matter. How we live matters. Leaving the world better then where you fiund it should matter. 

If God is real or not, shouldnt matter, until you are dead. However, those who are of the opinion to follow religion think insurance is a good thing. 

From my point of view apparently nothing matters. God's existence/non-existence doesn't matter at all. Every religion is false because no one know if god actually exist, they feel it does and that feeling dictates their motives and intentions. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, danydandan said:

I can't fathom how anyone who thought/think they "heard" a voice in their mind, assumed initially that it was/is a spirit/ghost/godly being/insert nonsensical imaginary being here. 

My initial thoughts would be.....oh maybe I am going insane.

It's not usually the same thing as literally hearing voices in your head like a schizophrenic does. Most religious people who claim to "hear the voice of God" usually mean that they had some intuitive feeling or subconscious thought that passed through their mind, that they for some reason merely interpreted as being from the divine rather than just from their own mind.

This is honestly scarier than religious people literally hearing voices, because this kind of thing is something basically anyone can be convinced of, since we all have intuitive feelings and subconscious thoughts that pop into our heads.

I don't have a problem with spiritual and religious people trying to find meaning and purpose in the world, and interpreting certain things as "signs" from the divine. But once you start interpreting your own thoughts and feelings as being the literal voice from on high, then you can easily be convinced to do some pretty crazy and dangerous stuff...

15 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Yes. An idea that's associated with feel good chemicals in the brain, the holy dopamine and serotonin ghost. 

From my point of view apparently nothing matters. God's existence/non-existence doesn't matter at all. Every religion is false because no one know if god actually exist, they feel it does and that feeling dictates their motives and intentions. 

Yup.  they do.   They feel it in their BEING ...wherever that is.  I happen to think it may be "Everywhere". ..just like Everything else.   Because...everything and everywhere began as ONE. (and therefore still is).  We now refer to it as  A Singularity.   

"One"  is my idea of god  .  A perfectly natural , (and every bit as aware as we are) universal ONENESS  out of which everything arises and returns.    

I figure if we can be alive and aware...the universe can be too?  Is the universe somehow less than us?  Are we somehow superior to the universe?

I actually feel this oneness may be the reality....and separateness..and even SpaceTime ! !  May be the illusion!  (ok, I know that's reeeeely stretching it, so you can forget this part if it bothers you) :lol:

I feel existence in my Being.   If i start Thinking about it...It gets sort of blurry .....If I start Talking ! about it, it all but disappears 

1 minute ago, lightly said:

Yup.  they do.   They feel it in their BEING ...wherever that is.  I happen to think it may be "Everywhere". ..just like Everything else.   Because...everything and everywhere began as ONE. (and therefore still is).  We now refer to it as  A Singularity.   

"One"  is my idea of god  .  A perfectly natural , (and every bit as aware as we are) universal ONENESS  out of which everything arises and returns.    

I figure if we can be alive and aware...the universe can be too?  Is the universe somehow less than us?  Are we somehow superior to the universe?

I actually feel this oneness may be the reality....and separateness..and even SpaceTime ! !  May be the illusion!  (ok, I know that's reeeeely stretching it, so you can forget this part if it bothers you) :lol:

I feel existence in my Being.   If i start Thinking about it...It gets sort of blurry .....If I start Talking ! about it, it all but disappears 

I feel nothing. The universe doesn't care about any one of us. Same goes for any God. We can pretend, we can hope, but we are alone.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I feel nothing. The universe doesn't care about any one of us. Same goes for any God. We can pretend, we can hope, but we are alone.

I dunno X.    I just don't feel alone...never have.   I guess it doesn't really make much "sence" .          

Just now, lightly said:

I dunno X.    I just don't feel alone...never have.   I guess it doesn't really make much "sence" .          

I've always felt alone. Isolated. Like an outsider looking at an unfamiliar world. So I don't get this 'connectivity' that people claim in regards to their Gods, the universe, or whatever metaphor they choose. 

15 hours ago, Aquila King said:

What's sadly even more prevalent are all the "Mr so-and-so religious leader told me that God told him tot tell me to do it."

This reminds me of the 80's when some televangilist that was "richer than god" told his followers that god told him to tell everyone he needed a million dollars and he was going to stay in his tower until either he got a million dollars or he died.   People actually sent him money and he was the butt of many jokes in the office I worked in, where I was one of two non-religious people.  Even the very extremely religious saw this as a manipulative ploy.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Crazy people usually hear crazy things.

And Sane people usually don't hear anything.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Of course; negativity least of all. Lot's wife summed up that point-of-view quite succinctly-i.e. "Just curse God and die." Truly. there really is no new thing under the sun.

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I've always felt alone. Isolated. Like an outsider looking at an unfamiliar world. So I don't get this 'connectivity' that people claim in regards to their Gods, the universe, or whatever metaphor they choose. 

Wow X, that does sound lonesome, and hard.    I grew up completely immersed in nature...on a Lake...surrounded by miles & miles of forests and streams and everything, full of Life.  .( a small town a mile or so away).  So ,yeah, I grew up feeling completely connected to the earth and sky and ...Everything.  I always had a little trouble believing in the God at church...because I already knew one ... in a way.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, joc said:

And Sane people usually don't hear anything.

Shhhh !    What was that !? .   ..  .  . Hm.   Nothin. ..    I guess.

;

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

there really is no new thing under the sun.

There in lies the problem. It's all just the same thing recycled. 

11 minutes ago, lightly said:

Wow X, that does sound lonesome, and hard.    I grew up completely immersed in nature...on a Lake...surrounded by miles & miles of forests and streams and everything, full of Life.  .( a small town a mile or so away).  So ,yeah, I grew up feeling completely connected to the earth and sky and ...Everything.  I always had a little trouble believing in the God at church...because I already knew one ... in a way.

I was pretty much taught that life was suffering and failure when I was a kid. So yeah, rainbows, sunshine and fluffy kittens all the way around. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

I don't really see that as relevant or interesting. Death is merely returning to the non existence of pre conception As far as i can remember, that wasn't so bad :) 

It is about how we live our lives and improve our world,  in the time we have here.

It is certainly interesting and relevant when looked at from a related perspective. I'm surprised that in your view anything can be irrelevant. Every single thing is relevant to something. Even the concept of nothing.

You don't remember nonexistence. You conceptualize it. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

You continue to bring your own painful life experiences and learned responses to bear on my life The y are irrelevant Not only am i not you i dont think like you or see life as you do 

I ace;t your general advice on  life  (it is actually very good advice) but don't see why you are offering it to me My life continues to be pretty well  perfect.

i remain healthy happy and busy, with wide social networks and support groups .

I dont need health care support, given that my hospital and doctors and chemist are all less than half a kilometre (600 yards) from my home.   However my wife is on a home care package  She pays 60 dollars a month and receives 2000 dollars  each month into an account from the govt She can use this on any health need and currently has about 3 hours cleaning, an hours gardening and occasional  general maintenance.  per week She has  also purchased some items to help her pick things up, put on her socks etc  we can both access things like podiatry for a minimal cost  If i could not drive we can have all groceries  and medicines home delivered  for free and someone to take us out for social or other requirements  

I agree tha t many do not know of all the services available I was in a group of cardio physio  patients of whom  less then half knew of all the help available to them. I imagine its the same in america although, from what i read, America does not have the level of social support available to all in Australia. eg we get all our medicines for free having reached a safety net limit based on our pensions and expenditure on drugs     (So once we spend more than 360 dollars  between us on pharmaceuticals in any one year, all the rest are free. plus all drugs on prescription are about 6 dollars  )

I will not engage or respond this is off topic.

Moving on.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

There in lies the problem. It's all just the same thing recycled. 

For most, sameness is a comforting thing--the rituals of life, recapitulated over and over again--such are it's seasons. Only for others who spent their lives dreaming in fanciful otherwheres, is it onerous drudgery. This is a garden world, adrift in seas of black infinity. We are a fortunate species to have inherited it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

For most, sameness is a comforting thing--the rituals of life, recapitulated over and over again--such are it's seasons. Only for others who spent their lives dreaming in fanciful otherwheres, is it onerous drudgery. This is a garden world, adrift in seas of black infinity. We are a fortunate species to have inherited it.

I hate monotony.

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I hate monotony.

There's always Fortnite.

• Haha 2