Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spiritual or science

God Lover

I'm just not interested in determining my intelligence compared to others. It's a kind to measuring your physical strength compared to someone else. All it ever amounts to is a childish dick measuring contest. Nothing more.

Competition is the bane of social progress. Everyone can find at least some way to contribute no matter how strong or smart or talented you are. So building up some dumb social hierarchy based on "who's the smarterest" or any other such nonsense just divides us amongst ourselves and prevents any actually productive conversations and activity from being done.

1 hour ago, third_eye said:

Depends if it's done in the Metric or Imperial system probably... or maybe a failure of an imaginatively extraterrestrial construct, possibly bad downloads into a failing mental condition. 

~

I worked with a guy who was a total shill.  He lied on his resume to get the job and had the boss snowed by talking to him everyday.  He had 3/4 of a psychology degree so he was pretty good at manipulating people who weren't used to that type of manipulation.  His job was software developer, like mine but he couldn't program his way out of a paper bag.  Of course he didn't need to, like the rest of us did to keep our job.  And he only supported one product for one specific client,  where the rest of us had to know all or most of the products and be interchangeable.  I always wondered about that especially after he told me quietly one day that his IQ was 160, which made me laugh loud and hard.  I asked one of my friends who had known him longer than I did and he said I must have intimidated him because he had never told anyone else that.  I was the only one who covered his product when he went on vacation so I knew he was not a programmer.  I once dated a man for a very short time who made sure I knew his IQ was 140, which also made me laugh because even at the beginning I thought he wasn't very smart, but I am very judgemental about what intelligence actually is, and it has nothing to do with IQ scores, even though I thought both of those men lied about theirs.  I know people who do get those high scores and are intelligent, but they don't care about the IQ scores.  The only people who seem to care are the ones who are insecure.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'm a little disappointed that IQ scores may not be of much importance in relation to real intelligence....because in 8th grade myself and Nancy Hiller scored highest in our class.  Teacher didn't reveal if Nancy or I scored highest...I think she just thought it was cool that a boy and a girl scored highest.

the funny part is..there were only about 12 kids in our grade...so, how smart were Nancy and I after all? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

A 180 IQ is that supposed to be impressive? 

I'm not impressed. 

cormac

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

I'd rather remain curious than concern myself with a number. 

Some would rather concern themselves with a number than satisfy their curiosity. 

cormac

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I disagree that the IQ tests measure intelligence, they measure a lot of things but intelligence entails more than how well you take a test or how well you understand what you read in what ever language the test is given in, or how well you understand or remember how numbers are used, or how whether or not you have the ability to determine 3 dimensional shapes from 2 dimensional pictures, etc.  How well can you get along with others, how do you resolve conflict, how do you come up with solutions to physical problems (like can you make a pulley with random materials and a rope), etc.  Some of those things are not on IQ tests but are vital indicators of intelligence.  You can be book smart and extermely stupid at survival, which includes getting along with others.

That's because IQ tests don't measure intelligence they measure potential. If the tested party either doesn't, or can't for whatever reason, UTILIZE that potential then the number is meaningless. 

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt
spelling
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, cormac mac airt said:

That's because IQ tests don't measure intelligence they measure potential. If the tested part either doesn't, or can't for whatever reason, UTILIZE that potential then the number is meaningless. 

cormac

If I want a problem in everyday life solved, I 'll take a decent engineer of modest intelligence over a genius, any day.

1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

If I want a problem in everyday life solved, I 'll take a decent engineer of modest intelligence over a genius, any day.

Me too. 

cormac

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I find explosives work....wait yeah um, I agree....:whistle:

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Some would rather concern themselves with a number than satisfy their curiosity. 

cormac

I know my number and the thing is I don't feel it. I feel like the more I learn the less I really know...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I know my number and the thing is I don't feel it. I feel like the more I learn the less I really know...

I know mine too. I get that feeling as well, one step forward two steps back in what I DON'T know. :)

cormac

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

I worked with a guy who was a total shill.  He lied on his resume to get the job and had the boss snowed by talking to him everyday.  He had 3/4 of a psychology degree so he was pretty good at manipulating people who weren't used to that type of manipulation.  His job was software developer, like mine but he couldn't program his way out of a paper bag.  Of course he didn't need to, like the rest of us did to keep our job.  And he only supported one product for one specific client,  where the rest of us had to know all or most of the products and be interchangeable.  I always wondered about that especially after he told me quietly one day that his IQ was 160, which made me laugh loud and hard.  I asked one of my friends who had known him longer than I did and he said I must have intimidated him because he had never told anyone else that.  I was the only one who covered his product when he went on vacation so I knew he was not a programmer.  I once dated a man for a very short time who made sure I knew his IQ was 140, which also made me laugh because even at the beginning I thought he wasn't very smart, but I am very judgemental about what intelligence actually is, and it has nothing to do with IQ scores, even though I thought both of those men lied about theirs.  I know people who do get those high scores and are intelligent, but they don't care about the IQ scores.  The only people who seem to care are the ones who are insecure.

Great stories.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You're in good company.

I know not how I seem to others, but to myself I am but a small child wandering upon the vast shores of knowledge, every now and then finding a small bright pebble to content myself with while the vast ocean of undiscovered truth lay before me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Ive explained how i did this before and you said it was cheating.

But in fact the problem with Iq tests was ALWAYS that they did not measure true innate IQ but the skill of the person being tested to answer the questions.

Often tests lacked cultural reference. Other relied on a high skill in language or maths not in actual intelligence.  Even today with modern tests and exams the greatest predictor of success and high scores is not student abilty, but how much work is put it preparing students for the test procedure Ie the more practice at tests and exams a student has the better they do in them 

You may not see my genius but that is your problem :) ie you are so antagonistic to me and everything i say that you don't recognise the validity of the arguments 

One practical use of high intelligence is winning a t quiz nights I and my teams won dozens of quiz nights and garnered quite a selection of prizes over the years 

Another sign of intelligence is success survival  and happiness in life I rate  very highly in all those ares and others  because i apply my intelligence to my life making t easy comfortable happy and non contentious 

What i lacked was ambition I was promoted several times to leadership positions but found i enjoyed teaching much more than trying to manage adult teachers 

"genius" runs in my family and can be seen in family members as far back as the 1800s.

In part it is genetics, but in part it also comes from early family values and education Remember i was reading by the time i was 2 years old   ie before i turned 3. 

Apart from me, my immediate family are all multi millionaires.They put their minds to making money and accumulating wealth 

My family includes Australian  politicians, doctors, lawyers, psychologists  and very successful businessmen  running international and national companies. Also a lot of wealth farmers and aqua culture companies.   Of course we also have a few actors, horse trainers, jewellers,  retail workers, and trades people  :)   

All this is true and hence not bragging  It goes to who i am and how i came to be who i am

one  great grandfather reached the highest levels of the  education dept Another designed public buildings for the state govt. Another made millions in the WA goldfields and founded a farming empire. One founded and ran a large printing  establishment    

Of course you are bragging.

Why? What is your point.

Your family isn’t you, their accomplishments are not yours.

The majority of your posts consist of you trying to convince us of how great you think you are? There are good things about you and flaws like anyone else, so what. 

If posters think you are dishonest why not listen to why they think this and adjust yourself, or get it worked out, for ex: you don’t possess a 180 genius intellect, no way, no one on here does.

One with a hearty self esteem would push through, take what feedback could aide in growth or resolve any issues by changing their part in it and let the rest go. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

you don’t possess a 180 genius intellect, no way, no one on here does.

Hey.....don't be getting a head of yourself.

Your IQ is about 180. 

• Haha 2

Just now, danydandan said:

Hey.....don't be getting a head of yourself.

Your IQ is about 180. 

Ha ha ha ha ha :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cormac mac airt said:

cormac

Exactly, Cormac.

I could care less about IQ, I care that I am credible, that I have integrity, that I come off as if I actively listen and am open to correction and feedback and growth, that posters choose to read me for substance, and I care about learning more than anything else. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of the most notable characteristics of many people who are or who consider themselves of exceptional intelligence is their rudimentary or complete lack of social skills. Their ability to interact with others is compromised by their tendency to over-think even the simplest conversational situation. The encounter usually devolves into them lecturing, talking down at the other(s) with a complete failure of empathic and sympathetic connection. They are, literally, too smart for their own good. One would expect a supposed "superior intellect" would fair better, but that's often not the case.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

One of the most notable characteristics of many people who are or who consider themselves of exceptional intelligence is their rudimentary or complete lack of social skills. Their ability to interact with others is compromised by their tendency to over-think even the simplest conversational situation. The encounter usually devolves into them lecturing, talking down at the other(s) with a complete failure of empathic and sympathetic connection. They are, literally, too smart for their own good. One would expect a supposed "superior intellect" would fair better, but that's often not the case.

:whistle:

3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

One of the things most notable characteristics of people who are or who consider themselves of exceptional intelligence is their rudimentary or complete lack of social skills. Their ability to interact with others is compromised by their tendency to over-think even the simplest conversational situation. The encounter usually devolves into them lecturing, talking down at the other(s) with a complete failure of empathic and sympathetic connection. They are, literally, too smart for their own good. One would expect a supposed "superior intellect" would fair better, but that's often not the case.

My dad used to bother me when he got drunk and started complaining that intelligent people like himself could never get a break in the world or the world was against him because he was so intelligent.  It was arrogance.  If he had been as intelligent as he thought he was he would have realized what a great life he had.  But, addicts will make excuses for everything.  :P

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

One of the things most notable characteristics of many people who are or who consider themselves of exceptional intelligence is their rudimentary or complete lack of social skills. Their ability to interact with others is compromised by their tendency to over-think even the simplest conversational situation. The encounter usually devolves into them lecturing, talking down at the other(s) with a complete failure of empathic and sympathetic connection. They are, literally, too smart for their own good. One would expect a supposed "superior intellect" would fair better, but that's often not the case.

I'd have to disagree with you on this one.....

I think the Sheldon Cooper's are far and few between. Granted I have a small sample size, but the majority of people I work with and quite a few of the people I consider friends would be extremely intelligent.(Post graduate level qualifications) I'm struggling to think of any that you would consider socially awkward. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

One of the things most notable characteristics of many people who are or who consider themselves of exceptional intelligence is their rudimentary or complete lack of social skills. Their ability to interact with others is compromised by their tendency to over-think even the simplest conversational situation. The encounter usually devolves into them lecturing, talking down at the other(s) with a complete failure of empathic and sympathetic connection. They are, literally, too smart for their own good. One would expect a supposed "superior intellect" would fair better, but that's often not the case.

I’d suggest in this case maybe it is contextual, Perhaps the issue is some posters haven’t been in environments where the posters are well versed in their respective topics. It isn’t that they don’t have social skills it is that they have not been socialized in an academic setting. 

So they feign a lot of bravado and smoke and mirrors. 

We do have everyday posters who are as savvy and curious as any College professor who just like to learn and discuss the things they learn.  We have some really smart posters who come through here. 

Those that fancy themselves “intellectuals” get on here and find out they really don’t know a thing. 

Part of intelligent is knowing what you don’t know. 

• Like 2