Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spiritual or science

God Lover

7 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Yep, environmentally induced cognitive impairment. 

One needs experiences too.

I work with Dementia and Alzheimer’s patients and the single factor that speeds up cognitive decline is lack of mental stimulation, lack of quality social engagement, the kind of engagement that comes from the give and take of participating in life passively watching TV and reading Goosebumps isn’t a substitute for real life experiences. Yet, Watching a movie and then having a quality discussion where one has to think and explore other perspectives is good. 

I work for a Neurologist the brain needs to be engaged learning challenging oneself to new things, novel experiences all the time. 

I'm doomed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Yep, environmentally induced cognitive impairment. 

One needs experiences too.

I work with Dementia and Alzheimer’s patients and the single factor that speeds up cognitive decline is lack of mental stimulation, lack of quality social engagement, the kind of engagement that comes from the give and take of participating in life passively watching TV and reading Goosebumps isn’t a substitute for real life experiences. Yet, Watching a movie and then having a quality discussion where one has to think and explore other perspectives is good. 

I work for a Neurologist the brain needs to be engaged learning challenging oneself to new things, novel experiences all the time. 

Not just experiences but the opportunity to have such experiences. Not everyone who has the potential gets to use it unfortunately. 

cormac

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'm doomed.

You’re not doomed. 

cormac

• Like 2

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I'm doomed.

No you are not, My Dr.  told me that UM the way we use it to challenge ourselves, learn new things counts. 

My gosh, you aren’t here for 15 years trying to persuade us that some sigil you made gave you an ability to time travel.

You have learned so much, it counts. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Not just experiences but the opportunity to have such experiences. Not everyone who has the potential gets to use it unfortunately. 

cormac

Very true, some can have a life and not live it. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I think you shifted in a direction I wasn’t going. :)  I was referring to not being able to utilize ones intellect to its fullest extent. There are other reasons besides some sort of mental impairment that could prevent such. Examples such as upbringing and lack of adequate facilities for further learning come to mind. 

cormac

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

You’re not doomed. 

cormac

I Will be in November. I prepaid for Doom: Eternal

19 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

No you are not, My Dr.  told me that UM the way we use it to challenge ourselves, learn new things counts. 

My gosh, you aren’t here for 15 years trying to persuade us that some sigil you made gave you an ability to time travel.

You have learned so much, it counts. 

True. I see your point.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

Zazen... 

~

• Like 3

The human mind is like the computer you're typing on; almost no one ever accesses or utilizes it's full potential. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

I think you shifted in a direction I wasn’t going. :)  I was referring to not being able to utilize ones intellect to its fullest extent. There are other reasons besides some sort of mental impairment that could prevent such. Examples such as upbringing and lack of adequate facilities for further learning come to mind. 

cormac

I suppose I did.:P

And, some  aren’t interested in further learning, I used to think that everyone was naturally curious, but that is not so.

Curiosity is the push that compels one to ask questions, explore further....

• Like 4

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

True. I see your point.

My friend, what you have accomplished by your effort and hard work over the years in growth and intellect is astounding. 

You should be very proud of yourself, I sure am. 

How does it feel to be an intellectual?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

I suppose I did.:P

And, some  aren’t interested in further learning, I used to think that everyone was naturally curious, but that is not so.

Curiosity is the push that compels one to ask questions, explore further....

Thankfully I consider myself amongst those who can’t stop asking questions, at least where there’s an interest.  They might not always have a current answer, but they get asked. 

cormac

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cormac mac airt said:

Thankfully I consider myself amongst those who can’t stop asking questions, at least where there’s an interest.  They might not always have a current answer, but they get asked. 

cormac

Me too, I am so thankful for my curiosity, it has only helped.

• Like 3

"Why" is the most quintessential human question and defines us as a species. It is, often, the first question a child asks a parent. We seemed wired to probe the why of things, wanting to understand the circumstances of our existence. When answers consistently eluded us, we were inspired to conjecture them and spiritualism. animism and religion were created to satisfy, at least for a while, our burning curiosity about the Universe. Far from being a modern or scientific thing, these questions and tentative answers were already in place in the first cities of Sumer, six thousand years ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, danydandan said:

Aptitude tests are the way to go.

We are all Moran's...... welcome to the club.

Rule #1: One must be able to spell moron in order to be in the moron club.

General rule #1: Anyone claiming an IQ greater than Einstein, Newton, Hawking or whoever and has amounted to nothing more than being an internet troll should not be taken serious.

General rule #2: Anyone boasting about stuff are usually BSing.

Edited by danydandan
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

20 hours ago, third_eye said:

Don't dump your insecurities and inadequacies on us... 

~

So you're lying when you claimed that you never make things personal... Figures... 

~

Whatever that's worth with whatever little you have left I guess... 

~

You got the wrong idea, can't help it if you're an ego inflating irrationality...

~

Clearly demonstrated, that you won't admit it is none of my concern... 

~

Just being honest, truthful and sincere, something that is clearly beyond your comprehension... 

~

You have not shown any slightest indication of intelligence to  what you just said... So much for your poor attempt at pleasantries 

~

Plenty though for your flabbergasting excuses for falsities, right? 

~

And a Good day to you too... 

~

either you really dont understand the English language or you deliberately misuse it 

Ive explained my background with IQ tests before, but will do so again for those who came in late 

I was assessed in high school with an IQ of around 120 These were state based comprehensive tests which took hours to do

As a teacher, both professionally and personally I became interested in IQ tests.

It was becoming obvious in the 70s that the older generic tests had any faults, including cultural context penalising many.  eg Australian aborigines and black Americans always did worse on the tests becue the y lacked cultural relevance.  Also the older tests were hevily weighted to maths and language skills  rather  than pure intelligence/problem solving skills.

I had to run many state based Iq tests for students in the  70s and eighties so i began doing them myself.

I found my Iq was now measuring in the 140s ( mid 1970s) maybe due to the wider base of the new tests 

I also learned something important As with all tests, the more often you do them the better your scores become Ie the process of testing teaches you skills which can be used int he testing even though the problems are different  The same thing applies to puzzles like crosswords

Then i began to experiment to see how far I could push my test results by practicing and learning about the nature of the tests  and the skills required to do well on them 

By the 1980s I had pushed my score up to the 180s on each new education dept testing regime   

By the late 80s i was testing in the  180s from high to low depending on the nature of the test and sometimes over 180  

About this time the department stopped testing for IQ and i moved on to other interests, specially the different teaching and assessment methods required for boys and girls  I wrote a paper for the dept on the needs of girls in education, and later  another on the needs of boys, based on interviews and assessments of hundreds of students from  age 5 to 18 

1 hour ago, danydandan said:

Rule #1: One must be able to spell moron in order to be in the moron club.

General rule #1: Anyone claiming an IQ greater than Einstein, Newton, Hawking or whoever and has amounted to nothing more than being an internet troll should not be taken serious.

General rule #2: Anyone boasting about stuff are usually BSing.

See post above  There is No need for me  to bs or exaggerate(or boast)  It just happened that i had the interest, and the opportunity, to push my IQ scores up to over 180 by learning how to succeed a t a variety of IQ tests.  That of course speaks to the nature of IQ tests themselves, as much as my innate intelligence  That flaw is one reason they haven't been used in Australian education for  over 30 years 

12 hours ago, Sherapy said:

I will take this challenge you claim: 

“I've had IQ scores of over 180 in  some academic IQ tests” ( Walker).

I am not calling you a liar, but you are claiming an IQ score that is higher than Einstein and Steven Hawking who are said to have had IQ’s of 160 and 180 is a rarity at best, maybe 1 percent of the population have it out of billions of people, this would be about 80 people on the entire planet. 

There is nothing about your posts that support this level of genius not in background, profundity or contributions, or in intellectual flexibility. The genius level of intelligence is apparent, it just shows, you wouldn’t need to try and convince us  of it, if you had it while you are not a moron, based on your posts there isn’t anything jumping out as a cut above the rest. 

We do have a few genius posters 8ty and Copasetic, few of us are in that  league and this includes you.

So why do you constantly brag about yourself if you have such a hearty self esteem? 

If you possessed the level of intellect you claim it would show and it doesn’t and you know it doesn’t, so what is the point of making this claim? A smart person wouldn’t need to. 

Ive explained how i did this before and you said it was cheating.

But in fact the problem with Iq tests was ALWAYS that they did not measure true innate IQ but the skill of the person being tested to answer the questions.

Often tests lacked cultural reference. Other relied on a high skill in language or maths not in actual intelligence.  Even today with modern tests and exams the greatest predictor of success and high scores is not student abilty, but how much work is put it preparing students for the test procedure Ie the more practice at tests and exams a student has the better they do in them 

You may not see my genius but that is your problem :) ie you are so antagonistic to me and everything i say that you don't recognise the validity of the arguments 

One practical use of high intelligence is winning a t quiz nights I and my teams won dozens of quiz nights and garnered quite a selection of prizes over the years 

Another sign of intelligence is success survival  and happiness in life I rate  very highly in all those ares and others  because i apply my intelligence to my life making t easy comfortable happy and non contentious 

What i lacked was ambition I was promoted several times to leadership positions but found i enjoyed teaching much more than trying to manage adult teachers 

"genius" runs in my family and can be seen in family members as far back as the 1800s.

In part it is genetics, but in part it also comes from early family values and education Remember i was reading by the time i was 2 years old   ie before i turned 3. 

Apart from me, my immediate family are all multi millionaires.They put their minds to making money and accumulating wealth 

My family includes Australian  politicians, doctors, lawyers, psychologists  and very successful businessmen  running international and national companies. Also a lot of wealth farmers and aqua culture companies.   Of course we also have a few actors, horse trainers, jewellers,  retail workers, and trades people  :)   

All this is true and hence not bragging  It goes to who i am and how i came to be who i am

one  great grandfather reached the highest levels of the  education dept Another designed public buildings for the state govt. Another made millions in the WA goldfields and founded a farming empire. One founded and ran a large printing  establishment    

Edited by Mr Walker

12 hours ago, Aquila King said:

The whole basic premise of IQ is faulty as well. Human intelligence is far too complex to adequately quantify, especially to the extent of assigning a simple number to it.

Besides, IQ tests were never initially designed to be used for measuring a person's overall intelligence.

If Walker actually had such high intelligence, he would know this. But no, instead he uses outdated tools to blatantly lie and inflate his ego because he's a malignant narcissist.

See my post.

I had explained all this to Sherapy in the past 

My claim to 180 IQ is true, but meaningless. Just as anyone's Iq is basically meaningless except in very general terms 

A persons success in life is not measured in IQ but in what the y achieve, the difference the y make to the world, and to other people and in how happy content and integrated they feel 

Ive taught a student who gained perfect scores in  every subject  she  sat for in pre university entrance  exams.

Ive also taught students  who couldn't read or write even their own name.

While the brighter ones do tend to have more academic success in life often the slower ones are  happier and more content  

Many of my non academic students now run their own businesses, including electricians, plumbers, hair dressers  etc.  Others earn more than i ever did working in mines or shearing or doing valued practical jobs 

12 hours ago, XenoFish said:

The funny thing about IQ testing is they show what you're able to memories, however is any of that stuff useful? Probably not. I think that the real problem with intelligence in general. Yeah, you might know this (subject) really well, but how do you apply it. For me the real measure of intelligence is what you can do with what you know. Sure there are knuckle dragging morons in the world, but there are also over-educated idiots as well. 

I can't help but think by to when I was in school. After learning basic math, reading/writing, and science everything else because rather unimportant to me. I just didn't care. My youngest has the same problem. She'd rather do her own reading and study on things she's interested in. Same as I. Of course there is also the 3 book rule in which you 'become an expert' on any subject just by reading three book compared to the average individual. Doesn't actually make you smarter just well read I suppose. Meh, what do I know, I'm a moron apparently...

I like your points. But  I don't agree about your intelligence, even as a joke  You are clearly  of above average intelligence, in the best meaning of the word.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Walker said:

either you really dont understand the English language or you deliberately misuse it 

You've just revealed that your claim to be and as an educated educator as nothing but blatant lies much befitting a chronic liar. 

Thanks and much appreciated. 

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

IQ scores are, in the best of circumstances, indicators of potential. They are in no way indicators of future application of said potential. It is in application that true genius is honed by acquired skills and disciplines. With one exception, I have encountered no rocket scientists frequenting these forums. On the other hand, I have engaged with many people of above average intelligence.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

True. I see your point.

Prepaid?

Optomist....

I've taken several online IQ tests and done very, very well. So I know they're mostly BS, just to fluff people up with false accomplishment.

IQ tests are stupid IMHO.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1