Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
God Lover

Spiritual or science

643 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hammerclaw
8 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I'd have to disagree with you on this one.....

I think the Sheldon Cooper's are far and few between. Granted I have a small sample size, but the majority of people I work with and quite a few of the people I consider friends would be extremely intelligent.(Post graduate level qualifications) I'm struggling to think of any that you would consider socially awkward. 

Well, for one thing, you probably wouldn't make friends with that type nor they with you. Another thing is the condition is not static and most learn and adapt as they grow and experience life, outside the academic sandbox that facilitated and nurtured their personal and false paradigm. Life is a great teacher, even to those of the order of the wise--with a few notable exceptions. Sheldon's not a good example, being more eccentric than socially inept. 

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

ZomboMeme 09092019171714.jpg

Ha ha ha  ha ha ha. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cormac mac airt
8 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I'd have to disagree with you on this one.....

I think the Sheldon Cooper's are far and few between. Granted I have a small sample size, but the majority of people I work with and quite a few of the people I consider friends would be extremely intelligent.(Post graduate level qualifications) I'm struggling to think of any that you would consider socially awkward. 

Few and far between, yes, but Hammerclaw is right there is a certain level of social awkwardness between many who are exceptionally intelligent and the 'everyday joe'. It's not necessarily a failing on their part (although they can work on it) but that they are just not 'wired' the same way. I've seen that much myself. 

cormac

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish

I often wonder what exactly does it mean to be 'intelligent'. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
4 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I’d suggest in this case maybe it is contextual, Perhaps the issue is some posters haven’t been in environments where the posters are well versed in their respective topics. It isn’t that they don’t have social skills it is that they have not been socialized in an academic setting. 

So they feign a lot of bravado and smoke and mirrors. 

We do have everyday posters who are as savvy and curious as any College professor who just like to learn and discuss the things they learn.  We have some really smart posters who come through here. 

Those that fancy themselves “intellectuals” get on here and find out they really don’t know a thing. 

Part of intelligent is knowing what you don’t know. 

 

If you're talking about faculty academia, that's just an intellectually elevated microcosm of life at large, consisting of people of lesser and greater social skills. Student academia consists of individuals in their socially formative stages, in a controlled sandbox environment, insulated from real world social cause and effect. It is there where false social paradigms often arise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I often wonder what exactly does it mean to be 'intelligent'. 

not stupid.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan
4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I often wonder what exactly does it mean to be 'intelligent'. 

It varies from Academic to Street Intelligence. 

I can't draw very well, but I'm quite good at mathematics. You might be great at drawing and poor at mathematics. Maybe your skill at drawing is equivalent to my skill level at mathematics. Who is more important? Are we the same? I believe we are. And I believe you could substitute any two skills into that example.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
3 minutes ago, danydandan said:

It varies from Academic to Street Intelligence. 

I can't draw very well, but I'm quite good at mathematics. You might be great at drawing and poor at mathematics. Maybe your skill at drawing is equivalent to my skill level at mathematics. Who is more important? Are we the same? I believe we are. And I believe you could substitute any two skills into that example.

You are both "not stupids".

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
6 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

not stupid.

Meh, sometimes common sense beats a high IQ. I honestly think that common sense is a true measure of real intelligence.

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan
16 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Well, for one thing, you probably wouldn't make friends with that type nor they with you. Another thing is the condition is not static and most learn and adapt as they grow and experience life, outside the academic sandbox that facilitated and nurtured their personal and false paradigm. Life is a great teacher, even to those of the order of the wise--with a few notable exceptions. Sheldon's not a good example, being more eccentric than socially inept. 

I am taking my experience from being in the sandbox for years. Oh no ......... maybe I'm one of them!

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
1 minute ago, danydandan said:

I am taking my experience from being in the sandbox for years. Oh no ......... maybe I'm one of them!

No, you "graduated" a long time ago.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
8 minutes ago, danydandan said:

It varies from Academic to Street Intelligence. 

I can't draw very well, but I'm quite good at mathematics. You might be great at drawing and poor at mathematics. Maybe your skill at drawing is equivalent to my skill level at mathematics. Who is more important? Are we the same? I believe we are. And I believe you could substitute any two skills into that example.

I probably can't do what you do for a living, you probably can't do what I do (cnc programming). However I could learn as you could too. Though I might never reach your skill level. Same for you in my job. Or we can bother surpass one another, who really knows. That's the thing about neuroplasticity. The brain is play-doh. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Meh, sometimes common sense beats a high IQ. I honestly think that common sense is a true measure of real intelligence.

 

You can't be both stupid and have common sense; at least, not all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
Just now, Hammerclaw said:

You can't be both stupid and have common sense; at least, not all the time.

I guess we all have our skill area. Smart in one, dumb as a brick in another. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw

"Not stupid" Mike. The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress. It's amazing how much Heinlein terminology I find myself using without thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Golden Duck
19 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

And then there is the fact that one can have a genius level IQ but not be surrounded by much that, for them, is intellectually stimulating which can be a waste. 

cormac

IQ tests seem to be more for people who are averse to effort.  Did Einstein or Hawking ever sit an IQ test?

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
26 minutes ago, danydandan said:

It varies from Academic to Street Intelligence. 

I can't draw very well, but I'm quite good at mathematics. You might be great at drawing and poor at mathematics. Maybe your skill at drawing is equivalent to my skill level at mathematics. Who is more important? Are we the same? I believe we are. And I believe you could substitute any two skills into that example.

What about people who can draw and are good at mathematics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
10 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

"Not stupid" Mike. The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress. It's amazing how much Heinlein terminology I find myself using without thinking.

I catch myself sounding like a self-help book occasionally.:lol:

Which is odd considering my personality.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan
4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

What about people who can draw and are good at mathematics?

They are crap at sports. Lol.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joc
7 hours ago, XenoFish said:
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cormac mac airt
1 hour ago, Golden Duck said:

IQ tests seem to be more for people who are averse to effort.  Did Einstein or Hawking ever sit an IQ test?

 

In some schools in the 70s it was mandatory. 

cormac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
3 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

In some schools in the 70s it was mandatory. 

cormac

And the 60's.  In my state all 5th graders were subjected to some form of IQ test.  I remember it as the most fun day I had in school that year.  The teacher was not allowed to be in the room.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lightly
2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I often wonder what exactly does it mean to be 'intelligent'. 

 Intelligent.   1.  Having intelligence.   2.  Having a high degree of intelligence;   mentally acute.

 Intelligence.   1. a. The capacity to acquire and apply knowledge.   b. The faculty of thought and reason.

              ... how's that ?    (American Heritage Dictionary)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
3 minutes ago, lightly said:

 Intelligent.   1.  Having intelligence.   2.  Having a high degree of intelligence;   mentally acute.

 Intelligence.   1. a. The capacity to acquire and apply knowledge.   b. The faculty of thought and reason.

              ... how's that ?    (American Heritage Dictionary)

I see what you did there.:lol:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DieChecker
2 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

"Not stupid" Mike. The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress. It's amazing how much Heinlein terminology I find myself using without thinking.

I grok you man.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.