Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is God Real

God Lover

53 minutes ago, Piney said:

You don't understand the running joke...... :lol:

Lucky for me

9 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

That's just it! I don't understand how one can stare at something and declare how it can be there, when the knowledge of how it's there is evident in it's existence being studied and understood. 

Be honest now, all this bluster is in the cause of feeling comfortable about there being "nothing there". Unfortunately for that, the intuition that there is "something there", is in everyone, if not openly expressed. Discomfort with the notion that there may be "something there", comes from an overly rationalist mindset, because one thing is sure, it is not the province of rationalism, as we know all concepts of God are quite inexplicable by reason, as is existence, generally.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Lucky for me

:rolleyes:

:lol:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Image result for blushing gif

You know, ever since I read this post, :blush:  I have been on the net trying to find the perfect song/video to show how classy you are. I am having a hard time, because there is no song I can find that I would think is perfect to say that to you. I think, I would have to find the ultimate 'Sheri is totally classy' song, and I think it's not made yet. 

Though, I did find this. 

Omg, you made me cry. Love ya.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, God Lover said:

That’s all true but god gave us a choice at the beginning he allows us to choose. And how do I know that is because it was Iin the Bible 

What was your choice then?

God approves of slavery, it's in the Bible.

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

What was your choice then?

God approves of slavery, it's in the Bible.

Your copy is well-thumbed !

17 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

Today is my birthday, and all my friends are coming. But I guess you can't have your cake and eat it to. However, with a Good Master there's no better life than a dog's life.

Luke 18:

18Then a certain ruler asked Him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 19“Why do you call Me good?” Jesus replied. “No one is good except God alone. 20You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery, do not murder, do not steal, do not bear false witness, honor your father and mother.’”

Apparently some people want to be slaves to their imaginary friend.  Hilarious, but there is pathos there as well.  You don't need an imaginary friend and their arbitrary rules to choose to live a moral life you know?  Take a course in the Philosophy of Ethics.  Also, please note the positively stone age attitude that the Bible takes on the issue of rape, and how child abuse is simply not mentioned.  A truly moral deity would explicitly tell people not to sexually attack children in his scripture don't you think?  So much for a good deity.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

A truly moral deity would explicitly tell people not to sexually attack children in his scripture don't you think?  So much for a good deity.

I'm getting confused now, how does an imaginary deity have a scripture ?

7 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I'm getting confused now, how does an imaginary deity have a scripture ?

That's easy to explain, and I'm glad you asked.  You see a long time ago, a bunch of con artists decided that they wanted more social power but they didn't want to work hard to get it.  They devised a religion based on the worship of an invisible father figure, (who they had invented, but was based on a series of other, similar scams operating in the general area).  They became the priests and proceeded to dictate a number of far fetched stories to wrapt and slavish recruits to their cult, who then transcribed them into a scripture.  Each of these stories promoted self destructive behaviors that would benefit the cult.  The story of the widow's mite is a classic example.  This served to create an orthodoxy and lent a certain institutional credibility to the scam.  I hope that clears that up for you. 

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well, no, you are saying the scripture is not that of a God, but of men. What does that have to do with God being imaginary ?

11 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Ha ha ha ha ha...

“The unexamined Philosopher is not worth reading”  Shercrates

I'd bet you can't take it, when it's being given to you. I can take it and give it meaning, my dear Sherade

8 hours ago, Habitat said:
8 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

That's just it! I don't understand how one can stare at something and declare how it can be there, when the knowledge of how it's there is evident in it's existence being studied and understood. 

Be honest now, all this bluster is in the cause of feeling comfortable about there being "nothing there". 

First, be honest about what? Are you sure you know me that well to assume you know what I’m thinking? 

I’m comfortable in feeling that it’s more than likely not nothing, but something that is not fully understood yet ( or ever, who knows *shrugs* ) But, even then, at least there is honesty that there is the possibility of being more, but declare one knows what it exactly is, is getting way ahead of one’s self. I really don’t think one has to ‘fill in the gap’ to fulfill some need for complete understanding of something. If someone is going to point to all the nature that is around and say, ‘this must have been created by God!’, I can come back with ,’ No, this must be placed here some alien race that forgot their trees,’ or ‘China did it!’. How can we prove to each other who is right? Where is the evidence, that it’s true it’s been created by who we each say it was? 

And my thing I’m trying to say here is, it seems to be assumptions and conjecture, being filled in as truth of what created the nature. 

Is conjecture proof? As the assumptions, are they proof? Even the fact, you take one part of nature, trees, and them being aware of them being planted and growing! Isn’t that an answer of where trees come from? 

Unfortunately for that, the intuition that there is "something there", is in everyone, if not openly expressed. Discomfort with the notion that there may be "something there", comes from an overly rationalist mindset, because one thing is sure, it is not the province of rationalism, as we know all concepts of God are quite inexplicable by reason, as is existence, generally.

I don’t know if my slight learning disability is keeping me from understanding what exactly you’re saying here, or......... this part just doesn’t make sense. 

Anyways, (maybe on second reading) you really think that everyone is thinking that? Or that, some feel that maybe it is, or it isn’t, but not to declare what it is to fit their narrative. 

I don’t think I feel that I have to ‘fill in the blank’. I see nothing wrong in feeling, there is probably so much more that I can’t understand. But, despite of my inner self assuming that there is probably more that I can’t see, I’m not going to make a committed statement that’s something that is not proven by all. 

In the past, Radio  Frequency  Pathogens,  weren’t even realized. Do you think it was nothing for them then, or just they were there and weren’t discovered and realized yet? I think, from the discoveries of these things, there is more of an excitement of knowing what the past didn’t. And that, jumping to conclusions of something around us, might not be what one thought it was. 

My point being, whether however anyone feels of there is a nothing, if there is, filling in with assumptions and self-fulfilling conjecture is not the logical step, in my boat. I find it, misdirecting. Being honest of first finding out and then knowing, or waiting to find out, I think is the best bet. 

Second, which I wonder you ever consider, do you think that God created everything in the same instant that he grants everyone’s prayers??? If he did grant everyone’s prayers in that same instant of the assumed idea that he created everything, there probably wouldn’t be a lot of individuals who became Atheists, wouldn’t you think? 

I understand, we all have this desire to have complete knowledge. But, to me, knowledge is unlimited. I don’t think we can know all, ever. It’s always going to be for me, to always learn. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Omg, you made me cry. Love ya.

Love ya back, sweet darling. :wub:  

• Thanks 1

I guess it must be the God effect for all this back and forth lovi dovi. As even just discussing about His existence brings out His Goodness, LOVE and Happiness in people.

16 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

I guess it must be the God effect for all this back and forth lovi dovi. 

Must be?!?! If you’re using conjecture to try to prove something is true, do more, and get proof. 

Because, I assure, my own reasoning within myself tells me, it’s all me baby!!!! I know how I feel. I don’t have proof I’m getting a unseen push. 

So sorry, I’m not convinced you’re right on that.

As even just discussing about His existence brings out His Goodness, LOVE and Happiness in people.

Prove that ‘discussing about his existence’ objectively directs to it being ‘his existence brings out his goodness’. You do realize, that it also could be a coincidence, or tangent, or the like.  Nostalgia was also discussed. That could another reason for the love too, right? ;)  

I grew up with no discussions on God or the Bible, growing up in the states where you’re free to practice your religion or not to practice religion. Yet, I grew up with all the love, ;)  :D  so there you go. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Must be?!?! If you’re using conjecture to try to prove something is true, do more, and get proof. 

Because, I assure, my own reasoning within myself tells me, it’s all me baby!!!! I know how I feel. I don’t have proof I’m getting a unseen push. 

Prove that ‘discussing about his existence’ objectively directs to it being ‘his existence brings out his goodness’. You do realize, that it also could be a coincidence, or tangent, or the like.  Nostalgia was also discussed. That could another reason for the love too, right? ;)  

I grew up with no discussions on God or the Bible, growing up in the states where you’re free to practice your religion or not to practice religion. Yet, I grew up with all the love, ;)  :D  so there you go. 

Then I guess that only Love reigns over you. And here is the perfect song for you, so there you have it.

• Confused 2

23 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:
42 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Then I guess that only Love reigns over you. And here is the perfect song for you, so there you have it.

I don't think you'll get points from me from quickly making assessments about me. And, I don't think one thing or another, just has complete control over me. If you have paid attention to my posts, if you wanted to, you would have noticed that''s not me. 

In other words, I reign over me. 

You seem to me, kind of confusing................................. and flip floppy. *shrugs* (My opinion of you from your posts I have read, not an objective statement) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 16/07/2019 at 7:10 PM, God Lover said:

If god was real why could he get everyone sin free?

Because he gave us are choice of life states in the Bible 

if god was real why can’t I hear him when I pray to him?

Because he is testing you 

if god was real why can’t it help me?

he does in ways you would never think that he would

if god was real why can’t I feel he’s presence?

You do in people. He reaches out to you in people just keep you’re eyes open.

Are you real?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I don't think you'll get points from me from quickly making assessments about me. And, I don't think one thing or another, just has complete control over me. If you have paid attention to my posts, if you wanted to, you would have noticed that''s not me. 

You seem to me, kind of confusing................................. and flip floppy. *shrugs* (My opinion of you from your posts I have read, not an objective statement) 

I'm flipping way over your head, and that is why I flopped.

7 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

I'd bet you can't take it, when it's being given to you. I can take it and give it meaning, my dear Sherade

Look Petty, drop the ego bravado, I see through you. Of course this is my opinion,

At first, many over compensate in this section, you don’t need to be a know it all to impress us  just provide your “own” thoughts and the facts that you think support them. 

Your posts are not making a splash, this is on you, you don’t like play around with different approaches.

Heads up, we have posters here who are religious, who do believe in god and whose posts rock in substance and quality. 

There is hope for you. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Piney said:

You know how I feel about doomsday prophets Sher..

Probably the same way I feel about psychics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Probably the same way I feel about psychics.

Same con, different title. The difference being doomsday prophets can't cold read so they need another gig. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, Piney said:

Same con, different title. The difference being doomsday prophets can't cold read so they need another gig. 

The psychic can give a different kind of prediction that can ruin someone's life. Telling lies in order to obtain monetary gain.

• Like 2

I'll give religion some create. It can get people to think the same thoughts, at the same time, for the same reasons. And it can sway those same people into whatever direction the preacher wishes. It's some mental parasite. That grows and feeds on the beliefs of its followers. Creating a self-reinforcing loop of belief and validation.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pettytalk said:
5 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I'm flipping way over your head, and that is why I flopped.

Flipping over my head?!? 

You sure about that? :rolleyes:

Do you remember what I said about you and sarcasm? Well, add condescension  to the list. 

Maaaaan,  you are way off base with the lyrics in that video you posted!  You have no friggin clue!  

It makes me wonder how you feel about me growing up secular. What’s your take of me growing up personally seeing no credibility of your God.

(Keep note I said personally and ‘your ‘ god)

That’s why your attitude doesn’t affect me. It makes no sense whatsoever based on what I learned in my younger years. 

You can talk the talk, but that is what it is to me, talk. :sleepy:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3