Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is God Real

God Lover

Personally, I don't see the point in going to a website just to cause a ruckus. It's not as if the people that are members there are going to sit up suddenly and say "My God! This totally random person, who has views diametrically opposed to mine, is RIGHT! I'm going to have to re-think my entire life!"

Why anyone would take the time to register with a website just to be contrary, is beyond me.  But that may be because some of the sites I frequent have been the victims of such trolling actions.

Or is there some psychological reasoning behind poking a beehive and laughing at the resulting effects?

On some of the LGBT+ sites I am on, we frequently get "hate posts" from people who log in just to tell us that god hates us and quoting bible verses.

Suppose you and a friend are having a quiet discussion in a café, about something that you are both passionate about, and some random passerby stops at your table, just to tell you you're wrong, he is right, goes on a rant, and then walks away. Or perhaps more accurately, you are sitting on your front porch, and someone makes the effort to walk up to you, rants, and then leaves.

So what is the point of doing it?

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Suppose you and a friend are having a quiet discussion in a café, about something that you are both passionate about, and some random passerby stops at your table, just to tell you you're wrong, he is right, goes on a rant, and then walks away. Or perhaps more accurately, you are sitting on your front porch, and someone makes the effort to walk up to you, rants, and then leaves.

What are you doing to attract such attention ? 

On 8/6/2019 at 8:32 PM, Jodie.Lynne said:

Why anyone would take the time to register with a website just to be contrary, is beyond me. 

I would say that such an act is intrinsically a very positive action, as it stops a forum from becoming am echo chamber/sheltered workshop with a single "party line" opinion.  That sort of "intellectual ghetto" is the worst outcome one can hope for as it merely promotes members to develop increasingly extreme and anti-social opinions.  Frankly in such net environments, a troll can be a breath of fresh air.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

I would say that such an act is intrinsically a very positive action, as it stops a forum from becoming am echo chamber/sheltered workshop with a single "party line" opinion.  That sort of "intellectual ghetto" is the worst outcome one can hope for as it merely promotes members to develop increasingly extreme and anti-social opinions.  Frankly in such net environments, a troll can be a breath of fresh air.

I've seen places like that. Occult forums tend to be a cesspool for such things. Most of my old haunts are gone. The few that remain are just a mess of confirmation bias. UM is different in that regard, which is why I like it here. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

I would say that such an act is intrinsically a very positive action, as it stops a forum from becoming am echo chamber/sheltered workshop with a single "party line" opinion.

But many sites want just that: unconditional confirmation that their opinion/beliefs are the right ones, and that everyone who thinks differently is wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/6/2019 at 11:32 AM, Jodie.Lynne said:

Personally, I don't see the point in going to a website just to cause a ruckus. It's not as if the people that are members there are going to sit up suddenly and say "My God! This totally random person, who has views diametrically opposed to mine, is RIGHT! I'm going to have to re-think my entire life!"

Why anyone would take the time to register with a website just to be contrary, is beyond me. 

In the past I was on a chemtrail forum ..... and managed to avoid being banned for quite some kind even though I was only on there to debunk their crazy theories and they wouldn't listen to anyone who didn't subscribe 100% to their madness.

So what is the point of doing it?

If you were discussing how the CIA control hurricanes using HAARP and chemtrails then I might well interject.   I don't like stupid people and when someone is so naively wrong about something, some polite correction may be welcome.

I don't rant though.  That's a different matter.   Though in my experience it's rarely those who have science, knowledge, evidence or logic on their side who rant, quite the opposite.

• Like 1

@God Lover

I see you have answered your own questions.

Hope you do not mind if a take the libery of answering your 'personal' questions?

On 7/16/2019 at 7:10 PM, God Lover said:

If god was real why could he get everyone sin free?

Everyone is not sin free, perfect example of there is no god.

If god was real why can’t I hear him when I pray to him?

Because the only one listening is you.

If god was real why can’t it help me?

Because in life you do your best to help yourself. If you have friends and family to help.you too, all the better. 

if god was real why can’t I feel he’s presence?

Because there is no presence of a god, You can on the other hand create one in your mind.

Now is there anything you would like to ask us (without answering them first? )

• Like 3

7 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Now is there anything you would like to ask us (without answering them first? )

Since he has all the answers (God), there is no need for him to ask any question that he doesn't already know the answer to. 

Logic and belief are two incompatible ideas, no matter how hard the faithful try to bend logic to fit their beliefs.

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Is god real or myth?

Why is the idea of God so important? 

That's what I want to know.

You tell us !

On 8/14/2019 at 6:15 PM, Habitat said:

It's just you don't like the message, and attack the messenger. What I said was correct, the team have knocked up declaring that this, that, and the other, does not exist. They would do better to preface such remarks with as "To my way of thinking", or "My inclination is to believe that". Total arrogance otherwise.

Hi Habitat

If you are the messenger who sent the message?

jmccr8

46 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Habitat

If you are the messenger who sent the message?

jmccr8

Perhaps you should read the prelude to that post, I can't be bothered.

9 hours ago, Habitat said:

Perhaps you should read the prelude to that post, I can't be bothered.

Hi Habitat

I did and a messenger delivers a message between two or more parties, you were delivering your own message personally so there is no get out of jail card on that one.

jmccr8

Shouldn't it be: 'the God' instead of simply: 'God'?

As in: 'in the beginning the God created...'

Edited by Awlsew

'God' is an ambiguous term. God can be whatever you imagine it to be, due to it being a fictional creation of humankind.

• Like 1

The Question can't be answered, there's three propositions, you believe, you don't believe, you don't know, the latter being the most sensible option to take on the grounds it leaves you right where you are. unless you have ulterior motives that is.

31 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

'God' is an ambiguous term. God can be whatever you imagine it to be, due to it being a fictional creation of humankind.

Like a name. Such as 'Bob', or 'Steve', or 'Tom'.

Example: "In the beginning Bob created the heavens and earth"

Now if there was only one Bob, then it would read: "In the beginning the Bob created the heavens and earth"

Just now, Awlsew said:

Like a name. Such as 'Bob', or 'Steve', or 'Tom'.

Example: "In the beginning Bob created the heavens and earth"

Now if there was only one Bob, then it would read: "In the beginning the Bob created the heavens and earth"

Which god? That's the question. 

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Which god? That's the question. 

For me it's the english. Why doesn't it say 'the God' if there is only one?

1 minute ago, Awlsew said:

For me it's the english. Why doesn't it say 'the God' if there is only one?

The English god? Which one is that?

3 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

The English god? Which one is that?

The english language, grammar. The way that it is written, 'God' is simply a name, like 'Bob', or 'Tom', or 'Steve'.

Edited by Awlsew

1 minute ago, Awlsew said:

The english language, grammar. The way it is written 'God' is simply a name, like 'Bob', or 'Tom', or 'Steve'.

"God" with a capital "G", generally refers to the Abrahamic god. YWYH, "GOD", or "Allah". "god" with a lower case 'g', is generally used to refer to all other gods. Since, ya know, the bloody three are "right", and all others "false". :/