Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did the Pentagon attempt to weaponize ticks ?

UM-Bot

It's more than the Lyme disease. In the area I am living (the south of the Krasnoyarsk krai), people fear ticks like plague because of the tick-borne encephalitis. Every year from May to mid-July just to have a stroll in the woods I have to wear protective clothing sprayed with those disgustingly smelling chemical repellents. When my parents were young no one ever heard about this problem, all the taiga ticks, except for being a nuisance, were pretty much harmless. In the Soviet times there was a lot of rumors that in the 1950's people in the Russian Far East were discovering in the forest boxes or sacks full of ticks. What's even more interesting, in the recent years there were occasional reports of plastic bags or boxes with ticks being dropped from unidentified helicopters in different areas of Siberia (here is an example). People say it's the conspiracy of the insurance and health care companies to sell more policies and vaccines against the tick-borne encephalitis and the Lyme disease.

Edited by Chaldon
  • Like 1

In case anyone is unfamiliar:

Operation Big Buzz was a U.S. military entomological warfare field test conducted in the U.S. state of Georgia in 1955. The tests involved dispersing over 300,000 mosquitoes from aircraft and through ground dispersal methods.

Operation Big Itch was a U.S. entomological warfare field test using uninfected fleas to determine their coverage and survivability as a vector for biological agents. The tests were conducted at Dugway Proving Ground in 1954.

Operation May Day was a series of entomological warfare (EW) tests conducted by the U.S. military in Savannah, Georgia in 1956.

Between April and November 1956, the U.S. Army Chemical Corps conducted Operation Drop Kick to test the practicality of employing mosquitoes to carry an entomological warfare agent in different ways. The Corps released uninfected female mosquitoes into a cooperative residential area of Savannah, Georgia, and then estimated how many mosquitoes entered houses and bit people. Within a day the mosquitoes had bitten many people. In 1958, the Corps released 600,000 mosquitoes in Avon Park, Florida.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This has long been a conspiracy theory associated with a biological research center on Mantauk Island if memory servers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trihalo42 said:

In case anyone is unfamiliar:

Operation Big Buzz was a U.S. military entomological warfare field test conducted in the U.S. state of Georgia in 1955. The tests involved dispersing over 300,000 mosquitoes from aircraft and through ground dispersal methods.

Operation Big Itch was a U.S. entomological warfare field test using uninfected fleas to determine their coverage and survivability as a vector for biological agents. The tests were conducted at Dugway Proving Ground in 1954.

Operation May Day was a series of entomological warfare (EW) tests conducted by the U.S. military in Savannah, Georgia in 1956.

Between April and November 1956, the U.S. Army Chemical Corps conducted Operation Drop Kick to test the practicality of employing mosquitoes to carry an entomological warfare agent in different ways. The Corps released uninfected female mosquitoes into a cooperative residential area of Savannah, Georgia, and then estimated how many mosquitoes entered houses and bit people. Within a day the mosquitoes had bitten many people. In 1958, the Corps released 600,000 mosquitoes in Avon Park, Florida.

Man, they really hate Georgia. Maybe they kept getting it mixed up with the Soviet one? :lol:

The US really didn't give a **** back then when experimenting. Didn't they spread gonorrhea and syphilis in Guatemala around that time? Madness.

• Like 2

Now this is the sort of thing that should be making national headlines...Not bigoted and stupid Trump Tweet #13825.

• Like 2

I'm not too sure if I buy into the notion of an experiment between and 1950 and 1975 to bear high yields 25-45 years after the end of the experiment to really be a gov thing. They seem to like their results right away, not decades away. If the time frame had been more like experiment in the late 80's into the 90's and gaining results starting in the early 2000's.... that I might pause to ponder. Maybe some of these newer super-ticks or spread of more ticks could be a gov plot. Or.... hmmmm... those ticks from 50-75 have generation mutated up in unexpected ways?
Or I might perhaps buy into a notion of some lab capturing the more common tick borne diseases and much later in developing whatever.. perhaps a shot at mammal control.. and some ticks got out with a lot of spread over the last 20 years or so. While just releasing bugs seems to have been a thing in the past, it also seems that it's only been in the last couple decades that we have been really tinkering with bugs to try to release their whatever bad when they are released to wherever.

But using ticks seems kind of... weird. Mosquitoes can be anywhere and spread some quickly deadly stuff with a fast bite, fleas can be almost anywhere and carry nasty stuff that spreads deadly fast too. Ticks are a bit more of a rural thing, you don't really see them much in cities. And often they aren't land and bite, they tend to wander around a while on you before they find what they consider a prime spot for biting in. And gotta be in the bite for a while for the transfer of disease.

Another thing... why Lyme and encephalitis? While both can be mildly to very seriously debilitating in most cases, it's not necessarily deadly in all cases- even ones without medical treatment. And onset of the symptoms can take days to a couple weeks to start appearing. It's almost a yesteryear long term siege warfare tacit if anything if it's supposed to do with war stuff.

On the scratch the surface kind of look, it is an interesting and new CT to me. But it is kind of lacking in some backbone. There's a bit too much string between the baubles here for me. I really, really have to wonder what information some folks might have had to prompt them to vote to add such a request of the DoJ.

Unamusingly enough.. got home from work a bit ago- stripped off my clothes and tossed them into the tick hamper, did a full tick check and no ticks... then minutes later while reading this topic I feel the familiar tickle and one of the little demons was walking up my leg. I had forgotten and left my shoes on the floor next to my desk instead in their tick bin. We get bad ticks around here, some years are worse and not. Kind of depends on the mammal, particularly the rodent population of the last year and what the winter weather was like. And if we have friendly neighbor possums or fowl to wander and eat the ticks up during the spring. And how clean we keep the yard and not, lol.

• Like 2

We humans are really good at messing things up for ourselves, if there aren't enough things that can kill us, we make them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Look up the name Kurt Blome. He was a virologist who specialized in insect transmitted diseases, and supposedly proposed to Hitler about using ticks as a delivery method for bio weapons. He started working for the US as part of Operation Paperclip post war, and did testing on Plum Island around the same time the first cases of Lyme Disease showed up, a few miles from Plum Island. He was experimenting with black legged deer ticks at the time, the common carrier of Lyme Disease

Edited by Silver_Raven
  • Like 3

How comes that ticks are a plague all over the world now ??? The first 20 years of my life I never heard anyone got a tick...
And we were allways out in the nature building treehouses and playing.
Now 30 years later it impossible to go out in the woods or meadows without getting a tick..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

On 7/16/2019 at 6:22 PM, OverSword said:

This has long been a conspiracy theory associated with a biological research center on Mantauk Island if memory servers. 

IIRC, also, the theory developed because the initial outbreaks of Lyme where in the places closet to the Island, itself.  On a map, it's just a cluster of cases in one area before it starts spreading around the country.

6 minutes ago, ScotDeerie said:

IIRC, also, the theory developed because the initial outbreaks of Lyme where in the places closet to the Island, itself.  On a map, it's just a cluster of cases in one area before it starts spreading around the country.

And there are other fun conspiracy theories that are a little more far out concerning Mantauk also.

The Mantauk Monster

250px-RhodeislandMonster.jpg

24 minutes ago, OverSword said:

And there are other fun conspiracy theories that are a little more far out concerning Mantauk also.

The Mantauk Monster

250px-RhodeislandMonster.jpg

Oh, yes, I remember that one. Didn't they finally declare it to be a rather common animal?  (Racoon?)  I read about that government facility in a book, IIRC, and it was pretty fascinating. Wish I could remember what book it was.