Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Paranormal TV Shows

GLCsector3295

I use to get a real kick out of the Paranormal TV shows, Ghost Hunters, Adventurers etc... the tech seemed interesting and plausible to be real enough...

I don't think the shows then or now though; are really helping the paranormal community any at all.  With producers of the shows having to stage so many things, an the way things are shot. It becomes hard after awhile to take anything on the shows serious.   The paranormal / spiritual side of life, seems a lot more probable than Aliens. At least to me, because we have three world religions  to base a reasoning on an immortal soul. An then the question is always what happens after one dies.

An  then it is either one believes in an afterlife or doesn't. 

I guess my question is, does the paranormal community feel that the shows such as Ghost Hunters / adventurers an similar shows, are they helping or hurting in validating the paranormal field ? OR is it just accepted as entertainment Tv an nothing more, and the paranormal community isn't bothered by the shows out there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GLCsector3295 said:

I guess my question is, does the paranormal community feel that the shows such as Ghost Hunters / adventurers an similar shows, are they helping or hurting in validating the paranormal field ? OR is it just accepted as entertainment Tv an nothing more, and the paranormal community isn't bothered by the shows out there.

I think these shows are helping to make the paranormal more mainstream. They are meant to be entertaining and exciting too which is their job on corporate TV so I accept this as long as they do not manufacture events. I think they do uncover a lot of real phenomena.

• Like 1

"the tech seemed interesting and plausible to be real enough..."

um  no, my wife a PhD in blah blah uses many of those gadgets the correct way and laughs hard at how they use them on those shows,

entertainment i guess until my ADD kicks in before the first break and i flip to reruns of Sanford and son, but proof of paranormal, nope, not yet.

pg, hope things went well with your mum.

• Like 1

When you want to teach your children that there's no such thing as ghosts then just let them watch one of these programs. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GLCsector3295 said:

I guess my question is, does the paranormal community feel that the shows such as Ghost Hunters / adventurers an similar shows, are they helping or hurting in validating the paranormal field ? OR is it just accepted as entertainment Tv an nothing more, and the paranormal community isn't bothered by the shows out there.

I/We don't bother!

Edited by LightAngel
  • Like 1

By the way.

Most of what you people call paranormal, are actually normal!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, LightAngel said:

By the way.

Most of what you people call paranormal, are actually normal!

20190718_125504.jpg.4fbf0e1b0e02f2f41a26fcdc87f54553.jpg            ^_^

not sure which witch way we were going with that,

since ive never seen evidence of paranormal much less proof then yeah it is normal prosaic with a cooler name for the bat,

i for now file paranormal in with sci fi and other make believe, but in 82 i had no clue i would typing this on my tricorder, ahem,

note 5.

• 2 weeks later...

Some I enjoy watching as entertainment but certainly not proof of anything 'paranormal'.  Zack is an idiot (sorry for being crude but that's all he is), either that, or he needs some meds.  I snicker a lot watching that show.

Shows I tend to prefer are things like Curse of Oak Island, Lost Gold of WW II, Hunting Hitler, Expedition Unknown (and all the previous shows Josh Gates has been on) ... most historical mystery type shows, or somewhat educational ones. No paranormal in most of those, but sometimes a lot unexplained or mysterious, and I tend to think of paranormal stuff as just things that aren't yet explainable. Someday, maybe they will be.

Some of the paranormal shows are too silly to even be really entertaining any longer.

I remember that Curse of Oak Island show, was there any ever real closure to that show or did it just fade away ?
I remember they kept finding interesting things that should not of been on the island, things from the Roman era, coconut fibers, stones with weird carvings in them. An i think the figured out the island had some kind of tunnels dug, to let water in to flood another chamber... bout all i remember. I lost interested after it just became an endless thing of finding one little thing after another and nothing really big or getting to the actual bottom of what ever pit was out there.

16 hours ago, GLCsector3295 said:

I remember that Curse of Oak Island show, was there any ever real closure to that show or did it just fade away ?
I remember they kept finding interesting things that should not of been on the island, things from the Roman era, coconut fibers, stones with weird carvings in them. An i think the figured out the island had some kind of tunnels dug, to let water in to flood another chamber... bout all i remember. I lost interested after it just became an endless thing of finding one little thing after another and nothing really big or getting to the actual bottom of what ever pit was out there.

It's been on for ... 7 seasons I think, and the upcoming season will start in ... usually September I think.  The end of last season they had dug at the shoreline uncovering some sort of walls and box sluices. Pretty odd findings. They blocked off the ocean around that area. The swamp still hasn't been fully examined. In other parts of the island they have some old jewellery that pre-dates the first people to ever dig on the island. They found a lead cross the exactly matches carvings in Europe for the crosses of the Knights Templar ... other stuff. They have a fair sized room full of little things.

4 hours ago, AnonsMouse said:

It's been on for ... 7 seasons I think, and the upcoming season will start in ... usually September I think.  The end of last season they had dug at the shoreline uncovering some sort of walls and box sluices. Pretty odd findings. They blocked off the ocean around that area. The swamp still hasn't been fully examined. In other parts of the island they have some old jewellery that pre-dates the first people to ever dig on the island. They found a lead cross the exactly matches carvings in Europe for the crosses of the Knights Templar ... other stuff. They have a fair sized room full of little things.

It is pretty darn interesting, but I don't think we will get a definitive answer like, oak island was a trading out post or something of the sort.. something solid that explains why a pit was dug and these tunnels to flood the pit were made.   I think all that can really be said is that people through out history have been on that Island to some degree.. Though, thinking about it, maybe someone should be looking or sending an excevation team to look for some kind of pre modern city or dwellings what ever ya wana call it.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for barging in but..has anyone ever noticed that these shows are ALWAYS focused on 'evil' or violence?

Every supposed 'entity' is this bad ol' monster that just wants to hurt/kill everyone. Every show is where someone claims they are being attacked and harassed or some such thing.

I would love to see a show where the so-called 'entity' just likes chillin' out and watching the goings on and if no one wants to be civil and all then it basically just wants to be left alone.

But our society seems to thrive on violence and victimization so that is what they get. No understanding, no acceptance just..violence. No wonder society is so messed up. :hmm:

I think it helps at least in the sense that the idea of the Paranormal is becoming more well known, and people are asking questions, especially if they are looking beyond materialism. 

On 7/17/2019 at 9:17 PM, GLCsector3295 said:

I use to get a real kick out of the Paranormal TV shows, Ghost Hunters, Adventurers etc... the tech seemed interesting and plausible to be real enough...

I don't think the shows then or now though; are really helping the paranormal community any at all.  With producers of the shows having to stage so many things, an the way things are shot. It becomes hard after awhile to take anything on the shows serious.   The paranormal / spiritual side of life, seems a lot more probable than Aliens. At least to me, because we have three world religions  to base a reasoning on an immortal soul. An then the question is always what happens after one dies.

An  then it is either one believes in an afterlife or doesn't. 

I think the serious paranormal community would consider them unhelpful for a lot of reasons, including people who think the television shows depict reality and decide to start hunting ghosts or try mediumship themselves causing a rukus of some sort or other.

I have been on the fringes of a lot of paranormal type communities and some are serious, others are just playing.

and shows like Paranormal State, Ghost Hunters, Long Island Medium are pure entertainment with no real substance.

Edited by Desertrat56

Ghost Hunters is going to have a show on Halloween night visiting the house that inspired the Conjuring movie. The farmhouse has new owners and plan on opening it up for tours. 

• Haha 1