Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Richard Branson offers his thoughts on UFOs

Finally someone with a level headed opinion. I feel the same way as him. Defitinley not alone in the universe or probably even the galaxy but just cause you can see the stars doesn't mean you can reach them. "In short, at a maximum velocity of 56,000 km/h, Deep Space 1 would take over 81,000 years to traverse the 4.24 light years between Earth and Proxima Centauri."

• Like 5

"Sadly, when you look closely you'll find that there's another explanation for all of them in the same way that in the Bermuda Triangle there's another explanation for all the mysteries [there]," he said.

This has been my stance on also Ancient Aliens when talking about humans building monuments or figuring out advanced mathematics. I can't say aliens weren't there, but I'm confident they weren't necessary.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I heard on a podcast that if you wanted to reach Proxima Centari in 100 years with a chemical rocket you would have to have more fuel than the matter in the known universe. 

For those with the instant response of that's BS realize that the limit is 100 years. You have to get the rocket up to speed and then slowed down to accomplish the task in 100 years. That involves a lot of fuel and fuel that does nothing more than push fuel as well as pushing the payload. The fuel requirements increase exponentially which is why chemical rockets cannot get us there in a century.

• Like 7

I observed one up close (six to seven meters distance), about forty years ago, all - approximately - 140 meters in length of it.
It wasn't alien.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

12 minutes ago, Ell said:

I observed one up close (six to seven meters distance), about forty years ago, all - approximately - 140 meters in length of it.
It wasn't alien.

Are you going to explain more or just leave that hanging there?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Ell said:

It wasn't alien.

Yes, seconded. More please.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, moonman said:

Are you going to explain more or just leave that hanging there?

3 minutes ago, Calibeliever said:

Yes, seconded. More please.

My guess is the Goodyear blimp. Same thing happened to me.

• Like 1

That's assuming you're using propulsion methods and not worm holes that have no time loss.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mystify said:

That's assuming you're using propulsion methods and not worm holes that have no time loss.

That's assuming those are real or that's the way they work.  Or maybe I should just say that's assuming that the one ring could bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, AllPossible said:

Finally someone with a level headed opinion. I feel the same way as him. Defitinley not alone in the universe or probably even the galaxy but just cause you can see the stars doesn't mean you can reach them. "In short, at a maximum velocity of 56,000 km/h, Deep Space 1 would take over 81,000 years to traverse the 4.24 light years between Earth and Proxima Centauri."

With current technology we could cut that time down to about 20 years if you could find a space agency willing to put a nuclear engine onto a spacecraft. With nuclear propulsion we could accelerate and decelerate continuously for the entire duration of the flight. 

If we take a nuclear reactor powering lasers (which already exist), put it on a spacecraft, take water for fuel, and zap small quantities of it to produce super-heated steam we have a source of thrust which consumes very small quantities of water per second.

Leave the humans out and there is no reason why we cannot accelerate and decelerate the spacecraft at 200g instead. Alternatively with modern advancements in the size of micro electronics lets make microscopic satellites, load them into a particle accelerator, and fire them at the star system.

• Like 2

An advanced species would have tech that we have never dreamed of or thought possible. 

Humans are so small minded, we think we know all about the universe and how it works, and what is possible and what isn't. Not that I think aliens are here or involved, but seriously - you really think after only about 300-400 years of scientific study we know it all? And we've only had spacecraft for what, 60-70 years?

We don't know ****.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

With current technology we could cut that time down to about 20 years if you could find a space agency willing to put a nuclear engine onto a spacecraft. With nuclear propulsion we could accelerate and decelerate continuously for the entire duration of the flight. 

If we take a nuclear reactor powering lasers (which already exist), put it on a spacecraft, take water for fuel, and zap small quantities of it to produce super-heated steam we have a source of thrust which consumes very small quantities of water per second.

Leave the humans out and there is no reason why we cannot accelerate and decelerate the spacecraft at 200g instead. Alternatively with modern advancements in the size of micro electronics lets make microscopic satellites, load them into a particle accelerator, and fire them at the star system.

Nuclear engines using explosions still put the trip in the century range and do not include slowing down. 

Non-explosive nuclear engines are slower, about a thousand years.

https://www.astronomytrek.com/how-long-would-a-spacecraft-take-to-reach-proxima-centauri/

• Like 2

I think the bottom line here is that even if we were capable of doing that no human would survive the trip.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Nuclear engines using explosions still put the trip in the century range and do not include slowing down. 

Non-explosive nuclear engines are slower, about a thousand years.

https://www.astronomytrek.com/how-long-would-a-spacecraft-take-to-reach-proxima-centauri/

No not the orion project, but yes I know of that one.

• Like 1

What a '****!!   "the subject of UFO sightings by US Navy pilots was brought up.

"Sadly, when you look closely you'll find that there's another explanation for all of them

Ya, and when we see hundreds of thousands of commercial airliners show up on radar, there's another explanation for that, too!  
Just move your lips up and down, and voila!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, moonman said:

An advanced species would have tech that we have never dreamed of or thought possible. 

Humans are so small minded, we think we know all about the universe and how it works, and what is possible and what isn't. Not that I think aliens are here or involved, but seriously - you really think after only about 300-400 years of scientific study we know it all? And we've only had spacecraft for what, 60-70 years?

We don't know ****.

Humans are so small minded.  :D  How many species and different life forms have existed that we can prove?  Trillions?  How many have had intelligence?  Civilization building tool creating intelligence?  One.  Intelligence is not the obvious outcome or goal of evolution or animals, so what makes you think there are these large minded advanced species out there that make us look like arrogant fools?

35 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Humans are so small minded.  :D  How many species and different life forms have existed that we can prove?  Trillions?  How many have had intelligence?  Civilization building tool creating intelligence?  One.  Intelligence is not the obvious outcome or goal of evolution or animals, so what makes you think there are these large minded advanced species out there that make us look like arrogant fools?

The answer is your own post and how my point has flown right over your head. You didn't even read my post.

Give us humans another 1000/2000/10,000 years and WE will have tech that today seems impossible and breaks the "rules" we think we know so well already. It has nothing to do with aliens - it's about experience and longevity as a species.

AGAIN - to make it perfectly clear - I'm not claiming there are intelligent aliens anywhere - but if there are and they have been around long enough, they would be able to do things we call impossible.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, moonman said:

but if there are and they have been around long enough, they would be able to do things we call impossible.

I am in complete agreement. Just zero evidence that it's true and absolutely no reason to denigrate humanity on the supposition that they exist.  As far as we know we are the coolest thing around.  Don't know why that bothers some people so much.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I am in complete agreement. Just zero evidence that it's true and absolutely no reason to denigrate humanity on the supposition that they exist.  As far as we know we are the coolest thing around.  Don't know why that bothers some people so much.

The fact remains that we are still ignorant of all that is and can be. To claim any less is...well, ignorant. We simply haven't had enough time to proclaim what is and isn't possible.

And the evidence IS right here on Earth - go back 2000 years and tell them what we can do today, you will be scoffed at and called insane, that is if they can even comprehend what you are trying to explain. How would you explain a computer to them? Or radio waves? Stuff we take for granted would be magical to them, and they were US.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 3

As for humanity being so "great" - how is that again? A greedy race that kills each other and their own planet doesn't sound so awesome to me.

In the grand scheme of all that could be... we're currently a bit of a **** stain as an intelligent species. We may outgrow it, but the last few centuries haven't been so hot.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

The billionaire founder of space tourism firm Virgin Galactic has commented on the UFO phenomenon.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/329123/richard-branson-offers-his-thoughts-on-ufos

Richard Branson has tonight stated he intends being on the first flight.

You know why dont you? Nope, he doesnt want to experience space or meet aliens. He is a secret Flat Earther going up to have a look if its really round.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why do people care what billionaires/businessmen think about anything other than making money? That's the only thing they have expertise in: Making Money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1