Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Richard Branson offers his thoughts on UFOs

53 minutes ago, moonman said:

The fact remains that we are still ignorant of all that is and can be. To claim any less is...well, ignorant. We simply haven't had enough time to proclaim what is and isn't possible.

And the evidence IS right here on Earth - go back 2000 years and tell them what we can do today, you will be scoffed at and called insane, that is if they can even comprehend what you are trying to explain. How would you explain a computer to them? Or radio waves? Stuff we take for granted would be magical to them, and they were US.

That's not evidence of intelligent alien life or that it would be more advanced than we are.  Please note the part where I said:

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

I am in complete agreement.

12 minutes ago, OverSword said:

That's not evidence of intelligent alien life or that it would be more advanced than we are.  Please note the part where I said:

I never said it was. In fact, I said twice that it wasn't.

Your main point seems to be how great and special we as humans are. I disagree. We don't know that.

My whole point boils down to we don't really know anything and no one can claim to. Aliens existing/ what is impossible/ the only way to get from star A to star B, we just can't say.

Edited by moonman

38 minutes ago, moonman said:

As for humanity being so "great" - how is that again? A greedy race that kills each other and their own planet doesn't sound so awesome to me.

In the grand scheme of all that could be... we're currently a bit of a **** stain as an intelligent species. We may outgrow it, but the last few centuries haven't been so hot.

Wow.  Self hating much.  The difference between you and I is you are an earthling while I am a Terran

Again, you have ZERO evidence outside of whack job space chanelers and sci-fi that some utopian, peaceful, good to the environment, selfless philanthropical race exists, therefore no proof that anyone can do better than we do.  Do you see other species behaving with mercy or charity and friendliness to the environment?  No.  the default of life seems to be greed and violence.  The case could be made that no life form could exist without thinking about it's own benefit first and foremost or as you would put it being a greedy **** stain.  How would advanced aliens get all the materials they need to build a civilization and eventually get it into space?  The same way we do it.  Digging it out of the ground.  I hate people that hate us.  We are not a cancer, we are as far as anyone knows the most advanced life that has ever happened.  Don't believe it, but your belief is nothing more than faith no different than any other unprovable religion.

• Like 1

Lol, ok then "Terran". I can see taking this further is pointless now that you have twisted it into some wierd religious nonsense.

Edited by moonman

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Wow.  Self hating much.  The difference between you and I is you are an earthling while I am a Terran

Again, you have ZERO evidence outside of whack job space chanelers and sci-fi that some utopian, peaceful, good to the environment, selfless philanthropical race exists, therefore no proof that anyone can do better than we do.  Do you see other species behaving with mercy or charity and friendliness to the environment?  No.  the default of life seems to be greed and violence.  The case could be made that no life form could exist without thinking about it's own benefit first and foremost or as you would put it being a greedy **** stain.  How would advanced aliens get all the materials they need to build a civilization and eventually get it into space?  The same way we do it.  Digging it out of the ground.  I hate people that hate us.  We are not a cancer, we are as far as anyone knows the most advanced life that has ever happened.  Don't believe it, but your belief is nothing more than faith no different than any other unprovable religion.

Lets look at relationships between NATO countries, Russia, Iran, and North Korea.

So we can see different ways of doing things cause conflict or opposition. Why would aliens be any different?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, moonman said:

Lol, ok then "Terran". I can see taking this further is pointless now that you have twisted it into some wierd religious nonsense.

You're the one basing his opinion on faith earthling. ;)

Edited by OverSword

Faith has nothing to do with it. Knowing that you don't know isn't faith- thinking that you do IS.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, moonman said:

Faith has nothing to do with it. Knowing that you don't know isn't faith- thinking that you do IS.

Believing that alien life is inherently/moral compared to us is pure baseless faith.  What I think we know is what can be proven with available data.  You're inventing data in your head.

edit: your way is more fun though and I do enjoy discussing what if this or that too.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Believing that alien life is inherently/moral compared to us is pure baseless faith.  What I think we know is what can be proven with available data.  You're inventing data in your head.

edit: your way is more fun though and I do enjoy discussing what if this or that too.

I never said aliens exist, and I sure never said morally corrupt aliens couldn't exist. I mean, WE exist, and we aren't angels. Again, we don't know.

In an infinite universe, anything is possible, and to claim anything as absolute is foolish. That's all I'm saying.

Edited by moonman

7 minutes ago, moonman said:

In an infinite universe, anything is possible, and to claim anything as absolute is foolish.

But to form an argument based on what can't be known vs what we do know is foolish too.

I do want to know - how can you be a proud "terran" when you have nothing to compare your pride to? It's like saying I'm proud to be from this universe...there IS no other universe (as far as we know). Would you be racist against Martians (I mean human martians, future visiting colonists, not little green men).

Edited by moonman

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

But to form an argument based on what can't be known vs what we do know is foolish too.

Seeing as how what we do know is basically nothing  - I disagree.

1 hour ago, moonman said:

I do want to know - how can you be a proud "terran" when you have nothing to compare your pride to? It's like saying I'm proud to be from this universe...there IS no other universe (as far as we know). Would you be racist against Martians (I mean human martians, future visiting colonists, not little green men).

I never said proud Terran but tell me earthling, why would these aliens be better than you and make us all **** stains in comparison?  Would I be racist against Martians?  actually almost a legit question and I suppose if I had a reason not to like them then I wouldn't.  But that would be based on behavior not necessarily on where they're from.  Would I be racist against actual intelligent aliens is much harder to judge and would be based on circumstances.  If it was beneficial for us to hate them then I probably would.  I love Klingons but would gladly nuke a Romulan.  I'm also not a big fan of the Kree, Skrulls or Thanigarians. 

Edited by OverSword

3 hours ago, moonman said:

Give us humans another 1000/2000/10,000 years and WE will have tech that today seems impossible and breaks the "rules" we think we know so well already. It has nothing to do with aliens - it's about experience and longevity as a species.

Thank you.  Humans have been around 1/4 million years. And our use of electro/mechanical tools has been only in the last few hundred, really. How much experience do alien civilizations have, billions of years...?  We'll get there *someday* if our species is lucky

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seti42 said:

Why do people care what billionaires/businessmen think about anything other than making money? That's the only thing they have expertise in: Making Money.

Money is just the vehicle for the real hot stuff and real wild fun. At micro scale = SPS4 + a mountain bike + a Mazda MX5, at macro scale = a space agency + a Porsche GT3 RS + a Learjet 75.

2 hours ago, Seti42 said:

Why do people care what billionaires/businessmen think about anything other than making money? That's the only thing they have expertise in: Making Money.

Steven Jobs... Bill Gates....?   Hmmm, not so sure about that!  And go back to Thomas Edison, too

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

you shread and rake over the cosls for his belief yet base your belief on bigfoot on one crappy print you claim to have seen decades back...nice :tu:

Edited by the13bats

7 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Steven Jobs... Bill Gates....?   Hmmm, not so sure about that!  And go back to Thomas Edison, too

LOL, those three guys prove my point. They all stole their ideas from more skilled (with the tech involved) people who were less skilled at marketing/money-making.

2 minutes ago, the13bats said:

you shread and rake over the cosls for his belief yet base your belief on bigfoot on one crappy print you claim to have seen decades back...nice :tu:

Yeah.  I believe in it only because of personal experience.  I feel like I can't be honest with myself and not believe.  If I had seen something which didn't have any other reasonable (imo) explanation than alien then I would think aliens have visited earth.  I know you're now going to say there is another reasonable explanation but only because you didn't see it, therefore are not qualified to decide that.  Maybe you could look at the logical way I've approached this and decide that there is a possibility that I've approached the other subject similarly.  You won't of course. 

16 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Yeah.  I believe in it only because of personal experience.  I feel like I can't be honest with myself and not believe.  If I had seen something which didn't have any other reasonable (imo) explanation than alien then I would think aliens have visited earth.  I know you're now going to say there is another reasonable explanation but only because you didn't see it, therefore are not qualified to decide that.  Maybe you could look at the logical way I've approached this and decide that there is a possibility that I've approached the other subject similarly.  You won't of course. 

"What I think we know is what can be proven"

yet you have far from proven bf with one alleged print, as evidence its even weak.

you are correct, no i wont pretend that what you call logic really is, i find it zero logical that one unknown footprint to you can only be bigfoot and you are completely closed minded to consider any far more likely explanation yet you bash any notion of intellegent life in the universe and its supporters,

done.

Edited by the13bats

7 minutes ago, the13bats said:

you are correct, no i wont pretend that what you call logic really is, i find it zero logical that one unknown footprint to you can only be bigfoot and you are completely closed minded to consider any far more likely explanation yet you bash any notion of intellegent life in the universe and its supporters,

done.

Were I in your position I would feel exactly the same. Also not closed minded about what else the print could have been.  Examined it thoroughly and decided nothing else made sense.  Sorry if I got over that part too soon for you. 

I don't bash any notion of intelligent life.  I bash any notion that it is inherently moral compared to us. 

Edited by OverSword
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, the13bats said:

done.

Bout time.  This isn't about your pet subject.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Were I in your position I would feel exactly the same. 

I don't bash any notion of intelligent life.  I bash any notion that it is inherently moral compared to us. 

good point, the notion that alien life is moral compared to us has the same merit as your belief in bigfoot, speculation nothing more, i really am done now.

1 minute ago, the13bats said:

i really am done now.

If only it were true :wub:

Edited by OverSword
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, OverSword said:

If only it were true :wub:

you missed where i said "done"...but troll away :tu: