Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New drivers could be banned from night driving

Still Waters

New drivers could be banned from travelling at night as part of plans to improve road safety.

Plans for a graduated licence system to restrict novice drivers in England, Scotland and Wales were announced by the Department for Transport (DfT).

The move comes as figures suggest one in five drivers are involved in a crash within a year of passing their test.

But the AA warned "excessive" safety measures could become an "unnecessary burden" for motorists.

As well as not driving at night, the DfT said the system could feature restrictions such as a minimum learning period and not driving with passengers under a certain age.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49026171

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• The title was changed to New drivers could be banned from night driving

We've had graduated licencing for years. I think it's a smart idea for new drivers

The report says  "one in five drivers are involved in a crash within a year of passing their test." but not what % of those happen at night?

What sort of reduction in accidents does this measure expect to have? If you stop drivers driving at night what happens after the waiting period expires and they then start driving at night without experience? Does this only delay the inevitable?

Seems a bit like nanny-state coming up with not entirely thought through ideas, again. :rolleyes:

I would think the pro's are in danger of being buried by the con's. 

• Like 2

absolutely ridiculous, and counterproductive measure,  now new drivers will rush to finish their things before dark, and crashing even more due to it,  we seen what happens when people are in a rush behind the wheel, that is the reason domino pizza dropped their "30 min or free" policy

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

We've had graduated licencing for years. I think it's a smart idea for new drivers

How will they gain experience driving at night if they never drive at night?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aztek said:

absolutely ridiculous, and counterproductive measure,  now new drivers will rush to finish their things before dark, and crashing even more due to it,  we seen what happens when people are in a rush behind the wheel, that is the reason domino pizza dropped their "30 min or free" policy

Your state has graduated licensing with nighttime restrictions from 9pm-5am and has had then for a long time

35 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Exactly how they are doing it today in both your province since 2003 and mine since 1994 with driving restrictions between midnight and 5 am.

2 minutes ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

Your state has graduated licensing with nighttime restrictions from 9pm-5am and has had then for a long time

Exactly how they are doing it today in both your province since 2003 and mine since 1994 with driving restrictions between midnight and 5 am.

i'm not aware of such license in my state, we have junior licenses, one can get it at 16, at 18 it is replaced with regular license,  there are restrictions if junior driver is alone, no restrictions when someone with a none junior license is in the car with him, actually in my state anyone with learners permit, can drive , any time, as long as someone with a license is int he car

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aztek said:

junior licenses,

That is exactly what graduated licensing is.  

https://dmv.ny.gov/younger-driver/graduated-license-law-and-restrictions-drivers-under-18

https://dmv.ny.gov/younger-driver/i-drive-nyc-five-boroughs-what-are-restrictions

NIGHTTIME DRIVING (9 PM to 5 AM)

•If you have a junior learner permit, you cannot drive in any of the five boroughs in New York City between the hours of 9 PM and 5 AM under any circumstances

Edit to add: That law has been on your books since 2003

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons

58 minutes ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

https://dmv.ny.gov/younger-driver/graduated-license-law-and-restrictions-drivers-under-18

https://dmv.ny.gov/younger-driver/i-drive-nyc-five-boroughs-what-are-restrictions

•If you have a junior learner permit, you cannot drive in any of the five boroughs in New York City between the hours of 9 PM and 5 AM under any circumstances

Edit to add: That law has been on your books since 2003

i had my junior way before that,  in mid 80s

btw those are only restrictions for 5 borough, aka nyc, the rest of the state allows supervised junior license holders to drive at night, even unsupervised in some cases

Between the hours of 9 PM and 5 AM,  you may drive without a supervising driver only directly between your home and

• your employment (you must carry appropriate proof of employment) 1  
  • a school course 2  

In any circumstance other than those described above, you may drive between the hours of 9 PM and 5 AM only under the direct supervision of your

•  parent
  • guardian 3  
  • a person "in loco parentis" 4 
  • driver education teacher or a driving school instructor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, aztek said:

btw those are only restrictions for 5 borough, aka nyc, the rest of the state allows supervised junior license holders to drive at night, even unsupervised in some cases

I realize that, but posted that as that is the more restrictive licensing and if I read that stats correctly  NYC and the 5 boroughs makes up near enough half the state's population

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 3:32 AM, Dark_Grey said:

i think its more a case of getting driving hours and experience before subjecting new drivers to the hazards of night time driving. 

I have had this conversation many times and i believe that accident and infringement information should be what sets rules and not revenue raising by the government. Let the government release the age groups, driver experience, particular roads, type of vehicles, alcohol and drugs and speeds that cause accidents be the benchmark that makes and enforce rules. High risk drivers and situations should be the measure by which we make rules not what brings in the most revenue. 

• Like 2

On 20/07/2019 at 3:59 PM, Captain Risky said:

i think its more a case of getting driving hours and experience before subjecting new drivers to the hazards of night time driving. 

I have had this conversation many times and i believe that accident and infringement information should be what sets rules and not revenue raising by the government. Let the government release the age groups, driver experience, particular roads, type of vehicles, alcohol and drugs and speeds that cause accidents be the benchmark that makes and enforce rules. High risk drivers and situations should be the measure by which we make rules not what brings in the most revenue. 

I think if they were to release all that data, the public would see how much they are being swindled by traffic laws focused more on revenue than road safety. Otherwise, I see your point about accumulating more hours before beginning night driving

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me if you can't drive or are not ready to drive at night the examiner should not be passing you. Like wise, these drivers who crash within the first 12months should they have been passed ready to drive? 

• Like 2

On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 1:51 PM, Still Waters said:

New drivers could be banned from travelling at night as part of plans to improve road safety.

Plans for a graduated licence system to restrict novice drivers in England, Scotland and Wales were announced by the Department for Transport (DfT).

The move comes as figures suggest one in five drivers are involved in a crash within a year of passing their test.

But the AA warned "excessive" safety measures could become an "unnecessary burden" for motorists.

As well as not driving at night, the DfT said the system could feature restrictions such as a minimum learning period and not driving with passengers under a certain age.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49026171

So will exceptions be made for new drivers who work late shifts like at pubs and nightclubs?

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 7:59 AM, Captain Risky said:

Yes, I too agree that it probably should be a case of clocking up a number of hours of night time driving simply for experience.  I know here in Victoria, they have to clock up so many hours recorded in a log book (don't ask me how this is verified, maybe a parent or someone with an Open Driver's License signs it?) of driving as a Provisional Driver before they can obtain their Open Driver's License.  Perhaps, driving between certain hours, for example, 6pm till 6am or something to that effect could be helpful, especially for those who work nights etc.

On 7/23/2019 at 1:31 AM, stevewinn said:

For me if you can't drive or are not ready to drive at night the examiner should not be passing you. Like wise, these drivers who crash within the first 12months should they have been passed ready to drive? 

Yes, without experience, they really shouldn't be on the road.  However, this brings us to the first question - how does one obtain the necessary experience? (as I mentioned an example above)  

I guess the hours of 9pm till 5am as mentioned is a good idea and I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed.  Although that said, some of them around here are absolute lunatics.  I don't know how they got their driver's license in the first place. :( 

Edited by pixiii
  • Like 1