Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Iilaa'mpuul'xem

It turned, looked at us and snorted...

123 posts in this topic

the13bats
11 minutes ago, openozy said:

Which are you asking about?

some thing your dogs were harassing i think by a chicken coop, weasel-ish?

openozy
4 minutes ago, the13bats said:

some thing your dogs were harassing i think by a chicken coop, weasel-ish?

The animal my cats had bailed up,99% sure it was a mongoose as I learnt later they had released heaps of them years ago to control snakes here,they were thought to have died out but apparently not.I set a cage trap but never caught the animal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Night Walker
2 hours ago, openozy said:

The animal my cats had bailed up,99% sure it was a mongoose as I learnt later they had released heaps of them years ago to control snakes here,they were thought to have died out but apparently not.I set a cage trap but never caught the animal.

That's very interesting. Ever thought about opening a thread on it? It wood be good to explore this a bit more...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

openozy
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Night Walker said:

That's very interesting. Ever thought about opening a thread on it? It wood be good to explore this a bit more...

I actually did a while ago on here.On page 4 in this section.

Edited by openozy
  • Like 1

Earl.Of.Trumps
12 hours ago, openozy said:

A lot of city people don't even know there are fallow and red deer running wild here and wouldn't expect them,unlike roos.I think the sightings are mostly deer due to the height.In my area they are more common than rabbits.

Could you elaborate a little more here, openozy - the part of sightings being deer?

As I understand it, you ozzies have two variety of Yowie, one shorter, and one almost 10 feet tall.

Hot damn, man, I'd like to know how anyone can confuse a 4-legged deer for a 10 foot tall, two legged creature that runs - well, as fast as a deer LOL.  And of course, bear just don't run on two feet either, not fast. They are quite clumsy and unstable on their hind legs - not that I could really believe that a bear was at this area, anyway. Theoretically possible, but hmmm.... meh

a 200 year history. Interesting.  And openozy. do you know if indigenous peoples know of this yowie creature? Don't research it if you don't know off the top of your head.   G'day, mate.   

Carnoferox
28 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Could you elaborate a little more here, openozy - the part of sightings being deer?

As I understand it, you ozzies have two variety of Yowie, one shorter, and one almost 10 feet tall.

Hot damn, man, I'd like to know how anyone can confuse a 4-legged deer for a 10 foot tall, two legged creature that runs - well, as fast as a deer LOL.  And of course, bear just don't run on two feet either, not fast. They are quite clumsy and unstable on their hind legs - not that I could really believe that a bear was at this area, anyway. Theoretically possible, but hmmm.... meh

a 200 year history. Interesting.  And openozy. do you know if indigenous peoples know of this yowie creature? Don't research it if you don't know off the top of your head.   G'day, mate.   

Deer are quite capable of standing up on their hind legs and could be mistaken for a human-like figure under certain conditions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Golden Duck
17 hours ago, openozy said:

Almost, but plenty of exotics have been released here

A lot of city people don't even know there are fallow and red deer running wild here and wouldn't expect them,unlike roos.I think the sightings are mostly deer due to the height.In my area they are more common than rabbits.

I thought I saw a moose crossing the road one night near Bowral.  The thing looked huge.

I thought it was fairly common knowledge that deer were introduced here.

• Like 3

Golden Duck
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

.... do you know if indigenous peoples know of this yowie creature? ...

That's where the stories come from.  The bunyip too.

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 2

openozy
7 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I think people get a glimpse of ginger rough hair through scrub,fairly high off the ground,think Yowie when its a Red deer.I don't think yowie exist.The only thing similar from indigenous people that I've heard are bunyip,but they have a lot of fanciful cryptids.

• Like 2

Golden Duck
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, openozy said:

I think people get a glimpse of ginger rough hair through scrub,fairly high off the ground,think Yowie when its a Red deer.I don't think yowie exist.The only thing similar from indigenous people that I've heard are bunyip,but they have a lot of fanciful cryptids.

The article for the Currumbin Valley sighting included a video of a purported sighting in the Brindabella's.  I can't help but think, with the snorting an the audible footsteps, a brumby might also be an explanation in some regions.

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 2

openozy
1 hour ago, Golden Duck said:

I thought I saw a moose crossing the road one night near Bowral.  The thing looked huge.

I thought it was fairly common knowledge that deer were introduced here.

I know a lot of city people that have never heard of deer over here,a lot have never seen a wild rabbit.The moose thing's interesting,red deer are huge but you could tell by the antlers as you know.

• Like 1

openozy
2 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

The article for the Currumbin Valley sighting included a video of a purported sighting in the Brindabella's.  I can't help but think, with the snorting an the audible footsteps, a brumby might also be an explanation.

I didn't think of a brumby but yeah or a scrub bull.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Golden Duck
4 minutes ago, openozy said:

I know a lot of city people that have never heard of deer over here,a lot have never seen a wild rabbit.The moose thing's interesting,red deer are huge but you could tell by the antlers as you know.

It was night and I was more focussed on not hitting the thing.  In my mind it had a rounded snout; but, I'm not willing stake much on it.  If a red deer is more probable, that's cool.

• Like 2

Earl.Of.Trumps
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Carnoferox said:

Deer are quite capable of standing up on their hind legs and could be mistaken for a human-like figure under certain conditions.

"certain conditions" indeed.  Like standing on two legs, sporting long hair, and running fast - on two legs, and had a loud roar unlike a deer.  I seriously doubt this could account for all yowie sightings, although you do have your "likes".

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Haha 1

openozy
1 hour ago, Golden Duck said:

It was night and I was more focussed on not hitting the thing.  In my mind it had a rounded snout; but, I'm not willing stake much on it.  If a red deer is more probable, that's cool.

I always doubt myself on sightings of out of place animals and think of the more rational answer,but you never know,even with  incredible sightings such as Yowies and other cryptids.No one can say for absolute certainty that they don't exist,if they do they are the one's being naïve imo.

• Like 1

Trelane
1 hour ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

"certain conditions" indeed.  Like standing on two legs, sporting long hair, and running fast - on two legs, and had a loud roar unlike a deer.  I seriously doubt this could account for all yowie sightings, although you do have your "likes".

Of course, none of those items couldn't have been embellished either to make a more interesting story. Come on Earl, you're better than that.

• Like 1

Earl.Of.Trumps
3 hours ago, Trelane said:

Of course, none of those items couldn't have been embellished either to make a more interesting story. Come on Earl, you're better than that.

again, it begets the question,, all yowie sightings?? If someone embellishes that badly, then they are just spoofing. That's all. So, say so. But deer???

If all Yowie sightings are deer, then UM should just start all such threads with "A deer was sighted in Australia today".

Hammerclaw
53 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

again, it begets the question,, all yowie sightings?? If someone embellishes that badly, then they are just spoofing. That's all. So, say so. But deer???

If all Yowie sightings are deer, then UM should just start all such threads with "A deer was sighted in Australia today".

I agree, utter nonsense. Obviously, what they're see is water buffalo, head on.

• Haha 1

DingoLingo
On 7/19/2019 at 5:05 AM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Give it a few... some yahoo will get in here and say "they saw bears!"    3.... 2...

no hear mate.. you see a bear in the tree's .. you run..

b***** could be a drop bear.. 

better to be safe then sorry.. 

• Thanks 1

DingoLingo
55 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

there are wild deer on the gold coast :D

I think its more like they have been on the glass barbie a few too many times.. 

Trelane
6 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

We're discussing this sighting. I'm not saying all alleged "sightings" can be attributed to one specific answer. I will say that in instances where there is nothing more than a statement made, there's not much that can be ascertained beyond the sincerity of the witness. That being said it is not beyond the realm of possibility that this family saw an animal exhibiting behavior they were not familiar with and added some elements to make their story fall in line with other Yowie sightings they probably have heard.

Earl.Of.Trumps
2 hours ago, Trelane said:

We're discussing this sighting. I'm not saying all alleged "sightings" can be attributed to one specific answer. I will say that in instances where there is nothing more than a statement made, there's not much that can be ascertained beyond the sincerity of the witness. That being said it is not beyond the realm of possibility that this family saw an animal exhibiting behavior they were not familiar with and added some elements to make their story fall in line with other Yowie sightings they probably have heard.

Oh, *this* sighting. gotcha. 

Golden Duck
7 hours ago, DingoLingo said:

no hear mate.. you see a bear in the tree's .. you run..

b***** could be a drop bear.. 

better to be safe then sorry.. 

There are no known survivors of a drop bear attack.:yes: