Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Plato´s Atlantis was in a River Delta

Polar

So this is what? The third or fourth thread that takes what was written originally and twisted to fit a narrative for some sort of pseud-intellectual debate about the actual existence of a fictional place? I'm only spit balling here, but I think there are a few trolls who have joined the forums to have a laugh and keep posting on some of the boards with nonsense like this.

Yeah the more I think about it and read some of the posters' responses here and in other threads, definitely trolls. That is the most logical explanation to me. As I've learned by looking into counter-arguments from the senior members in explaining items on the website, the most logical answer is usually the correct one. There's no way that some people who claim to be so far advanced in knowledge could actually believe this rubbish.

• Like 5

On 7/21/2019 at 8:21 AM, Kenemet said:

Perhaps someone could look up the oldest translations source and report back on it.

And that said, they actually hadn't standardized measurements back then; each builder could have had different lengths for each measurement: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Greek_units_of_measurement

Kenemet,

Greek copies of manuscripts of Plato's dialogues had been kept at Constantinople.  During the 15th century renaissance, Marcilio Ficino was the first person to translate the "complete works" of Plato from Greek into Latin.  http://atlantipedia.ie/samples/ficino-marsilio/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

I'm a big Hendrix's fan. Well familiar with the tune. And it should not come as a surprise around here, I'm Bipolar myself, besides having obvious multi split personality complex.

But really, I was playing on your double post, and your silly reply. So I take it you were never an alumni at UW, nor a Badger fan? Just a random web map snapshot that tickled your fancy, right?

How long have you been dibbling with Atlantis?

As the saying goes: problem shared is a problem halved.

As another saying goes: Hurry makes bad curry.

The truth is i was in a hurry that day when i posted the map, believe me. I usually have more than 50 tabs open (not joking) in my browser. And although i found it funny at the time i would never post it on purpose. I disapprove to offend anybody, whoever he/she might be. It was really an unintentional slip.

Follow the Threefold Path of Asha: Humata, Huxta, Huvarshta (Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrianism

Copyright © 2007 Mario Dantas. All rights reserved. 

Edited by Polar

3 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

You should not have bothered to begin with. That's my attitude from the start. You are just a big teaser, exposing yourself on this thread, and wanting to seem inviting and giving, to then when asked to put out, you pull away with a lame excuse. Your friends haven't and could not explain anything to me.

You can’t educate someone who chooses to remain most ignorant. You can’t see it on mobile versions if the site, but the full desktop shows a Dorothy Parker quote that pretty accurately describes Petty. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Polar said:

Wow!

Polar,

Are you really the Mario Dantas? The one that proposes Greenland as Atlantis? I cannot believe my eyes, I'm actually exchanging words with real star searcher of Atlantis. Why you are even prominently stored on Atlantipedia...what an honor it must be for you. Am I dreaming, or what?

Wait just a picking minute, if you are Mario, then why are you peddling Ulf Richer's hypothesis on this forum? Is it just some tribute, a sign of respect for the fallen?

3 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

You can’t educate someone who chooses to remain most ignorant. You can’t see it on mobile versions if the site, but the full desktop shows a Dorothy Parker quote that pretty accurately describes Petty. 

—Jaylemurph 

What does it say? I'm not familiar with any Dorothy Parker, as the only Dorothy that I can think of off the top of my head is the one in the wizard of Oz, the girl from Kansas, the show me state. And one of the 50 of Atlantis.

And you remind me of the scarecrow, come to think about it.

1 hour ago, Trelane said:

So this is what? The third or fourth thread that takes what was written originally and twisted to fit a narrative for some sort of pseud-intellectual debate about the actual existence of a fictional place? I'm only spit balling here, but I think there are a few trolls who have joined the forums to have a laugh and keep posting on some of the boards with nonsense like this.

Yeah the more I think about it and read some of the posters' responses here and in other threads, definitely trolls. That is the most logical explanation to me. As I've learned by looking into counter-arguments from the senior members in explaining items on the website, the most logical answer is usually the correct one. There's no way that some people who claim to be so far advanced in knowledge could actually believe this rubbish.

“Some” posters? Let’s not be coy: Mario — who, let’s not forget, is too much of a coward to use his original screen name — and Petty are nothing by the sort of troll you describe. 

1 hour ago, atalante said:

Kenemet,

Greek copies of manuscripts of Plato's dialogues had been kept at Constantinople.  During the 15th century renaissance, Marcilio Ficino was the first person to translate the "complete works" of Plato from Greek into Latin.  http://atlantipedia.ie/samples/ficino-marsilio/

K — as you may know, Harvard University Press has two related series for this. The Loeb series has dual-language version of the original Greek and English translation. Their I Tatti Renaissance series has editions of Ficino’s Latin translation and (more useful, frankly) Ficino’s commentaries, also in English.

They are the standard scholarly editions of the texts; I’m not sure why Atlante would direct you to an out-of-date, uncritical version on an Atlantis-centered, hence always already biased, uncurated website. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 2

Just now, Pettytalk said:

Wow!

Polar,

Are you really the Mario Dantas? The one that proposes Greenland as Atlantis? I cannot believe my eyes, I'm actually exchanging words with real star searcher of Atlantis. Why you are even prominently stored on Atlantipedia...what an honor it must be for you. Am I dreaming, or what?

Wait just a picking minute, if you are Mario, then why are you peddling Ulf Richer's hypothesis on this forum? Is it just some tribute, a sign of respect for the fallen?

Can you show where am i "prominently stored on Atlantipedia?

http://atlantipedia.ie/samples/tag/greenland/

I guess you are not aware of all the meanders in this story.

53 minutes ago, Polar said:

Are you seriously concerned someone else is going to pass off your dreck as their own?

The fact that you can’t even quote other authors correctly, or give them due credit at times, makes this all the more farcical. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

“Some” posters? Let’s not be coy: Mario — who, let’s not forget, is too much of a coward to use his original screen name — and Petty are nothing by the sort of troll you describe. 

K — as you may know, Harvard University Press has two related series for this. The Loeb series has dual-language version of the original Greek and English translation. Their I Tatti Renaissance series has editions of Ficino’s Latin translation and (more useful, frankly) Ficino’s commentaries, also in English.

They are the standard scholarly editions of the texts; I’m not sure why Atlante would direct you to an out-of-date, uncritical version on an Atlantis-centered, hence always already biased, uncurated website. 

—Jaylemurph 

Hey, I have all those in electronic format, PDF. But I can read only one side. Would you read the other side for me, and tell me if I understood my side? Thanks for mentioning me again, and with such sweet complements. May God bless you, my son.

24 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

Hey, I have all those in electronic format, PDF. 

I Tatti and Loeb don’t do electronic versions; what you have is a lie or stolen. 

Considering how much godbothering you inflict on us, either option is amusing, but we’re all well aware of your level of hypocrisy. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jaylemurph said:

After a little googling and a lot of eyestrain (checking letters in Greek), I see that the "stade" appears in the Greek document of Plato's writings called "the Zurich edition) and was published about 1851.  Found the Archive.org version of Bury (which is the Loeb series document) here:   https://archive.org/stream/b2900049x_0009#page/280/mode/1up/search/atlantis

It was (somewhat) helpful to have the Greek, though it's a really eye-watering task to try and match letters!  I haven't hunted up Ficino yet but will do so later.  But I judge from this that the classicists don't try to change the measurements into modern ones, probably based on the issue of "whose stade" to use, among other things.

I'm not up to translating but I can manage to look up a few phrases and so forth to check what I see.  it's not as good as being able to actually read it, but it'll suffice for the present discussion.  

Edited by Kenemet
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

I Tatti and Loeb don’t do electronic versions; what you have is a lie or stolen. 

Considering how much godbothering you inflict on us, either option is amusing, but we’re all well aware of your level of hypocrisy. 

—Jaylemurph 

So I'm a thief now, on top of all your other titles you have bestowed on me. And for your information, mostly what I have electronically, I also have the hard copies. And the same goes for the music I post. What I don't have is usually of no use to me, if you understand as well as you claim to understand,

I asked you to provide the evidence for your lies, as I never claimed to be Jesus, although all your little friends are getting their fill of giggles with it.   

loeb.png

Just show your receipt. 

Just because you have a copy doesn’t mean it’s a legal one.

—Jaylemurph 

Edited by jaylemurph

40 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Just show your receipt. 

Just because you have a copy doesn’t mean it’s a legal one.

—Jaylemurph 

You said there were no electronic copies, so you were wrong. If you want to see receipts, let me see your IRS auditor's badge.

13 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

You said there were no electronic copies, so you were wrong. If you want to see receipts, let me see your IRS auditor's badge.

I was referring to the edition of Ficino. There is no electronic version of that. 

And HUP doesn’t do PDFs of Loeb editions. They sell institutional and individual memberships to their database of texts. There are no legal individual scans of books. 

So you stole that copy. Or at least, took a copy from someone who did. In any case, the editor(s) and publisher never saw a dime of your money for their work. That’s theft. And then you lied about that. The part of you that’s Jesus and/or Plato would be ashamed.

Not that there’s much point in protracting this part of the discussion: we already all knew you lie with regularity and steal other people’s work (never paid a dime for any of those YouTube clips, did you?).

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

That is a complete and utter disrespect for me and my theory. Athanasius Kircher is really not as important as hard geologic evidence i have already forwarded. But please, laugh all you want. The fact is i could easily discard those Kircher compositions from the bulk of images that i have produced so far, and still prove i am right. So when someone says that my claim is based on the superficial  similarity between Kircher's insula and Greenland, it makes sad...

Dantas, Mario

Published May 23, 2010

Mario Dantas is one of the few modern voices advocating Greenland as the true home of Atlantis. He has promoted his theory on various websites(a) and submitted a paper to the 2008 Atlantis Conference in Athens. His claim is based on the superficial similarity between Athanasius Kircher‘s speculative 17th century map of Atlantis and the outline of Greenland today. His claim is based on the superficial similarity between Athanasius Kircher‘s speculative 17th century map of Atlantis and the outline of Greenland today. Furthermore he believes “that Greenland is the largest and oldest Island in the World (the southwestern part is around 4 billion years old) and we think that it was, not long ago, entirely situated in the Atlantic ocean, further south.”

He explains that originally Greenland was situated opposite the Strait of Gibraltar and that tectonics gradually brought it to its present position, ‘not long ago’. However, he does not explain how Greenland moved but Spain and northwest Africa remained where they were and still are.

(a) http://a7lan7is.blogspot.ie/

Edited by Polar
correction
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

I was referring to the edition of Ficino. There is no electronic version of that. 

And HUP doesn’t do PDFs of Loeb editions. They sell institutional and individual memberships to their database of texts. There are no legal individual scans of books. 

Actually, it's available on archive.org both for online reading and for download in multiple formats-- the Harvard University Press version with both Greek and English.  That's what I linked earlier: https://archive.org/stream/b2900049x_0009#page/n6/mode/2up

But I couldn't find a Ficino (and was sad that I couldn't, because my very inept ability to read Latin is a lot better than my complete ineptitude in Greek)

Edited by Kenemet
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

Actually, it's available on archive.org both for online reading and for download in multiple formats-- the Harvard University Press version with both Greek and English.  That's what I linked earlier: https://archive.org/stream/b2900049x_0009#page/n6/mode/2up

But I couldn't find a Ficino (and was sad that I couldn't, because my very inept ability to read Latin is a lot better than my complete ineptitude in Greek)

Some editions of older Loeb titles are thought to be out of copyright (they’re not), so some people scan them, and they wind up around the internet.  There are still no strictly legal electronic individual copies. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Polar said:

That is a complete and utter disrespect for me and my theory. Athanasius Kircher is really not as important as hard geologic evidence i have already forwarded. But please, laugh all you want. The fact is i could easily discard those Kircher compositions from the bulk of images that i have produced so far, and still prove i am right. So when someone says that my claim is based on the superficial  similarity between Kircher's insula and Greenland, it makes sad...

Good grief. Your "argument" dates back over a decade. Your "hard geological evidence" has repeatedly been disproven. Why, of course, a rather significant land mass mysteriously detaching itself from its primary tectonic plate context, plowing through the mid-Atlantic ridge, and then attaching itself to the North American craton certainly represents a perfectly rational interpretation. Particularly given the comparative geological vs human timelines.

In short, you, yet again, have no credible data to support your position.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, Swede said:

Good grief. Your "argument" dates back over a decade. Your "hard geological evidence" has repeatedly been disproven. Why, of course, a rather significant land mass mysteriously detaching itself from its primary tectonic plate context, plowing through the mid-Atlantic ridge, and then attaching itself to the North American craton certainly represents a perfectly rational interpretation. Particularly given the comparative geological vs human timelines.

In short, you, yet again, have no credible data to support your position.

The hilarious part is that it apparently did so while leaving the MAR completely undisturbed with its travels. A virtual "ghost" landmass. :D

cormac

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’m genuinely excited too see what kind of asinine dreck Mario pulls out of [redacted] about Ficino. My first published works were on Ficino and his writing, so pointing out in detail what Mario gets wrong (and history shows us time and again he will be wrong) sounds like a good time. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Swede said:

plowing

Singlefooting!! :angry:

7 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

Hi jay,

If you were only just as gracious admitting you were wrong, as when you are right, you would get along better with yourself. Never mind getting along with me, as I already gave up an that last time I tendered an olive branch to you, and you threw it back in my face. Do you really believe that being a bookworm is the scope of life? And if you are one of those that believes in evolution, and also that evolution has no purpose in mind, then why would you believe that your life of study has any purpose? And why are you then, purposely, going around vaunting your many years of sitting at a desk wallowing in a mire of ink and paper covered with dust?

Now let's get to the purpose of this post, and the and of the following, which is entirely your and.

I Tatti and Loeb don’t do electronic versions

I rest my case, your honor!

P.S.

And it would do you a world of good to immerse yourself in Marsilio's other works, especially his Platonic Theology.

• The topic was locked