Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Plato´s Atlantis was in a River Delta

Polar

38 minutes ago, Polar said:

1) True! My research capability does not compare to yours,

2) and i admit to have little or no knowledge of this technology. but is currently being used in Greenland

3) The video is unimportant. I confess that i just used it to make a point, which wasn't understood by you.

The fact is that scientists are more and more interested in knowing what is under all that ice, as accurately as possible, as soon as possible. I recently read about this new LIDAR use regarding Greenland's bedrock. It was never used before to portray the bedrock beneath more than 3 km of ice. And that is exciting...

All of which is irrelevant to Atlantis. 

cormac

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Polar said:

I'm afraid that this doesn't help any of your arguments.  This particular configuration (which doesn't match the text you show)  was 350 million years ago (give or take 10 million or so.)  This was long before any humans or anything with a brain larger than a human fist.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Polar said:

Pangaea ceased to exist well BEFORE the origin of our genus Homo some 2.8 MILLION years ago. Which means there’s no way anybody could have known about it before modern times. 

cormac

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

I'm afraid that this doesn't help any of your arguments.  This particular configuration (which doesn't match the text you show)  was 350 million years ago (give or take 10 million or so.)  This was long before any humans or anything with a brain larger than a human fist.

He just keeps earning that rep!

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Polar said:

His (Ulf Richter's) new measures coincide with what i think is found underneath Greenland. Forget the moving/floating island for now, please.

Are there not silly ideas which are true? The existence of parallel universes, etc?

Parallel universes is a truth? Really!

New measurements? I remember some dope claimed to have found Atlantis off the coast of Malta, circles and all, and he also claimed the stadia was 50 meters. 

Did you stake your claim in Greenland's area containing the capital of Atlantis? You'll have salvage rights to all that gold, silver, and orichalcum.

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to demonstrate the beauty of a post by Mario/Polar ... everyone else is on the same side now. Even Petty. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to demonstrate the beauty of a post by Mario/Polar ... everyone else is on the same side now. Even Petty. 

Let's not push it, I'm not siding with anyone, although I have to agree with your side on this floating business, but painfully so, just to be clear on the siding.

13 hours ago, Polar said:

Okay, so ....

1) Atlantis was not an island, it was the northern interior of a massive landmass
2) Atlantis was not beyond the Pillars of Heracles because neither they nor the Mediterranean existed
3) Atlanteans were not humans.  They were Therapsids
4) Plato got his chronology slightly wrong and meant to say Atlantis disappeared 200,009,000 years before his time.
5) In fact every single thing Plato said about Atlantis was completely and utterly wrong.

You've convinced me :D

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

24 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

Let's not push it, I'm not siding with anyone, although I have to agree with your side on this floating business, but painfully so, just to be clear on the siding.

That’s how it starts Pet. One day it’s begrudging agreement and then BEFORE YOU KNOW IT you’re sneering at Annunaki, rolling your eyes at Ancient Astronauts and SCREAMING that Plato made up Atlantis. 

It happens to us all.

I mean, I was an Atlantidiot when I came here who had firm beliefs on 10,500 BCE being a disaster that wiped out civilisations and that OOParts meant time travel.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Trelane said:

Ohhh my,no, no, no…..lol, seriously?!? Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Actually Polar got one thing right, as he is not far astray on Plato's reference to Atlas' twin. But it's not Greenland, as it's the Canada of today that is closest, and right in front of the pillars of Heracles, according to plate tectonics simulation of Pangaea, and its breakup. Because in the language of Gades, Ca nada, is the Spanish expression for nothing here; ca nada! Which is a likely theory on the way Canada got it's name. Just another coincidence, I suppose.

Portuguese or Spanish origin theory

The most common alternative theory suggested that the name originated when Portuguese or Spanish explorers, having explored the northern part of the continent and unable to find gold and silver, wrote cá nada ("nothing here" in Portuguese), acá nada, aqui nada or el cabo de nada ("Cape Nothing" in Spanish) on that part of their maps.[9] An alternative explanation favoured by philologist Marshall Elliott linked the name to the Spanish word "cañada", meaning "glen" or "valley".[10][11]

The earliest iterations of the Spanish "nothing here" theory stated that the explorers made the declaration upon visiting the Bay of Chaleur,[12] while later versions left out any identifying geographic detail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_of_Canada

Plato's Critias.

And he named them all; the eldest, who was the first king, he named Atlas, and after him the whole island and the ocean were called Atlantic. To his twin brother, who was born after him, and obtained as his lot the extremity of the island towards the pillars of Heracles, facing the country which is now called the region of Gades in that part of the world, he gave the name which in the Hellenic language is Eumelus, in the language of the country which is named after him, Gadeirus.

On our way to Atlantis Gades being today's Spanish Cadiz, naturally speaking. The doors are opening! Waiting for the sun, Socrates' Sun

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

It happens to us all.

It hasn't happened to me yet. I'm so stubborn and stupid that I'll take my true Atlantis with me when I come to my rest in my own graveyard.

24 minutes ago, Polar said:

mDk39AFGqEa0haY8hLAhGD8ENSsHaViBCIMmcX3tCLWYnrjtR0avMg8PpBHTGDF0G7OE5DIcPv8J82bCYx5shtTwWJ-0e8w3PmfHBdVaKto5E7G91kb_G8QYx5sg5xBpOQixO_gZXNX1EGEtbzunxZcIdnJUWj9tS4ZjFXq7nr6D2-CWMviFh7zyactO0BbsgQ40EkSGBUsFY_XxCdh8AeWuyNJSeh5niWzRFqO3wO8CBqNQ6Ew-7UE33MRoaE-G5zA1xhgk0oVme5sf2DRA1cVVszgKLjEbuxO8AINpdaz78vL2shahA3PHuHC6t3qjp8_P_ZfdpfpvjLrHOhAv8Ado2cqqpIJy2EUKdg1cgt9nzcz7azOk7S_bXMKZ4iQBmJ9bclAnYv_Zb7xsX_k7ExOxyMEMPMHoxXzHNTAvExdMobHj1aGXrVPKhUNkT2gAd9cR_65JWzqtWH6_m305FR_F_tVF78fVsFUpEb-fPr1P2rvfKNxvXesnm8RobtRCyB0ncyIjHQUws9sIR56tCOUeBPSnZ40pJNq8FAQ3OMZ9r4yEhdlcnUWk9rOZ_Ba6xw9IsjtcPm4pn5r-IgJdek925xfSXa3okdCNfq5O3uXS1EzZwTz5J5e6nNgu9aEnXJqMPs3gVX279M1-4bDUSLqFgsf0fZg=w1024-h703-no

Polar,

I'll make a  little compromise with you, and let you have an Atlantis base on Greenland, and it's called Thule, the US air military base.

Well, gosh. If a blurry, unsourced image in white didn’t convince me, photoshopping the exact same thing into red sure did. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

One of the main problems with Google Earth's Greenland ice-sheet images is that probably the imagery available represents the surface, and not the bedrock.

Nevertheless, it seems that somehow those images caught a glimpse of some of the features that lie underneath the ice.

The coincidental dimensions found in Plato (under Ulf Richter's dimensions) and Greenland central region are amazing.

It could be just an "anomaly", it could be a coincidence, although i doubt it for a very simple reason: long after Google's announcement of "glitches" in the imagery of that region, the anomalies kept appearing, nevertheless, in a different form.

Many institutions have managed to render more and more accurate imagery of the region. They first "uncovered" Greenland's bedrock, a wide network of huge canyons (including the largest in the world, the Greenland mega canyon), sub-glacial lakes and impact craters. 

In the majority of the imagery produced altogether, we can often observe the large basin linked to the Greenland mega canyon in that central area:

Greenland_mega_canyon_4097_youtube_hq003

http://www.geologypage.com/2013/08/nasa-data-reveals-mega-canyon-under-greenland-ice-sheet.html

F1.large.jpg

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/341/6149/997

What is the small round mark near NGRIP an NEGIS? It must be Greenland's most deep spot. There is something other than a simple isostatic depression. Even if all the ice disappeared, there would still be a significant hole in central Greenland. That place has many interesting features, that not only match Plato Critias in form, but in size too.

Topographic_map_of_Greenland_bedrock.jpg

Greenland is isostatically depressed by the Greenland ice sheet such that parts of the bedrock surface in the interior are below sea level.

Plato stated that streams from the mountains carried the water to the huge ditch that surrounded the plain, to be then discharged into the sea:

I will now describe the plain, as it was fashioned by nature and by the labours of many generations of kings through long ages. It was for the most part rectangular and oblong, and where falling out of the straight line followed the circular ditch. The depth, and width, and length of this ditch were incredible, and gave the impression that a work of such extent, in addition to so many others, could never have been artificial. Nevertheless I must say what I was told. It was excavated to the depth of a hundred, feet, and its breadth was a stadium everywhere; it was carried round the whole of the plain, and was ten thousand stadia in length. It received the streams which came down from the mountains, and winding round the plain and meeting at the city, was there let off into the sea. Further inland, likewise, straight canals of a hundred feet in width were cut from it through the plain, and again let off into the ditch leading to the sea: these canals were at intervals of a hundred stadia, and by them they brought down the wood from the mountains to the city, and conveyed the fruits of the earth in ships, cutting transverse passages from one canal into another, and to the city. Twice in the year they gathered the fruits of the earth-in winter having the benefit of the rains of heaven, and in summer the water which the land supplied by introducing streams from the canals. 

http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/critias.html

Edited by Polar
correction

On 7/26/2019 at 2:15 PM, Polar said:

1) True! My research capability does not compare to yours,

2) and i admit to have little or no knowledge of this technology. but is currently being used in Greenland

3) The video is unimportant. I confess that i just used it to make a point, which wasn't understood by you.

The fact is that scientists are more and more interested in knowing what is under all that ice, as accurately as possible, as soon as possible. I recently read about this new LIDAR use regarding Greenland's bedrock. It was never used before to portray the bedrock beneath more than 3 km of ice. And that is exciting...

Your response fails to address the simple fact that your fantasy scenario is, as previously noted, physically impossible. Thus, any further speculation, pointless blathering, or irrelevant graphics are of precisely zero import.

• Like 3

Maybe if he really, truly, sincerely prays to Our Past Basset Masters, they will rewrite history, geology, plate tectonics and science in general. 

I mean, who cares if the entirety of human understanding is undermined and we’re all left in a chaotic, unpredictable universe? 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Swede said:

Your response fails to address the simple fact that your fantasy scenario is, as previously noted, physically impossible. Thus, any further speculation, pointless blathering, or irrelevant graphics are of precisely zero import.

Ok. You made your point, but this thread deals with something different. 

There is a lot going on in Greenland and i really want to research further into it. That central region drains through an ancient drainage basin that influences the world's fastest glacier. Another huge canyon was found there, i mean it is extremely strange that all these "newly" discovered features do not relate to Plato's Atlantis in any way.

A few years ago, Academia would swear there could not exist huge canyons nor impact craters in Greenland... they simply would have been eroded a long time ago, transfigured by the power of the basal ice, but they didn't. 

I’m curious why you think you can comment critically on academia, despite being painfully obviously ignorant of how it works?

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Polar said:

Ok. You made your point, but this thread deals with something different. 

There is a lot going on in Greenland and i really want to research further into it. That central region drains through an ancient drainage basin that influences the world's fastest glacier. Another huge canyon was found there, i mean it is extremely strange that all these "newly" discovered features do not relate to Plato's Atlantis in any way.

A few years ago, Academia would swear there could not exist huge canyons nor impact craters in Greenland... they simply would have been eroded a long time ago, transfigured by the power of the basal ice, but they didn't. 

1) No, the more recent research is not at all strange. And the results of the research have absolutely nothing to do with Plato's allegorical tale.

2) Again incorrect. What would be your credible documentation that "academia" formally stated that such geological/geomorphological features "could not exist"? Are the new studies of interest? Of course. That does not mean that the potential for the presence of such features had been somehow previously eliminated.

You may, as always, wish learn about and understand the various materials that "influence" your "position". Without some degree of understanding of the subject matter, your "interpretations" of the data are inherently inaccurate.

• Like 5

On 26/07/2019 at 10:20 PM, Pettytalk said:

... (red, white, black) ...

These are the famous colours of the St Kilda Football Club.

The suburb of St Kilda gets its name from the Lady of St Kilda, a trading ship...

so crates

Atlantis is in Port Phillip Bay:yes:

• Like 1

• The topic was locked