Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Plato´s Atlantis was in a River Delta

Polar

3 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

The biggest problem with Atlantis is the numbers. Translation is definitely a problem here more than proof or no proof of anything.  

Biggest problem is that people think it is a real place. 

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

Just as I had thought, you are not very perceptive and you did not disappoint me. And neither are those cheering fans of yours. Why? Because I was giving you a perfect example on a condition that proves how a person can be said to be delirious.

Of course one can, through distraction, or a lapse of memory, have mistaken one poster for another, and not necessarily be a sickness causing the delirium. 

And on top, by not getting it, and also stating that I'm more delirious than another person, you have only proved that you were wrong in the first place, by telling me that one cannot address a person as delirious. Recall that I also specified "delirious ideas" the person was harboring, but regardless, the point is that you are wrong.

The word delirium comes from the Latin delirare . In its Latin form, the word means to become crazy or to rave. A phrase often used to describe delirium is "clouding of consciousness," meaning the person has a diminished awareness of their surroundings. While the delirium is active, the person tends to fade into and out of lucidity, meaning that he or she will sometimes appear to know what's going on, and at other times, may show disorientation to time, place, person, or situation. It appears that the longer the delirium goes untreated, the more progressive the disorientation becomes.

A delirious patient will have a difficult time with most mental operations.

Substitute the term, patient, with piney, and we have this. A delirious piney has a difficult time accepting that he is full of nonsense, or in other words, full of a 4-letter word. He raves about all that he thinks he knows.

Therefore your admonishment of " You cant call anyone delirious!" is proven completely inappropriate. And you have proven to be more full of it than the delirious piney.

You have not contributed anything tangible to this thread, other than idiotic and baseless nonsense. if you want to contribute, then go and educate yourself, like the other clowns around here. As then you can, perhaps, successfully perform in the circus act with some success, in front of knowledgeable audience.

And you asked for this!

Ok.

7 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

You have not contributed anything tangible to this thread, other than idiotic and baseless nonsense. 

Have  you ever heard of projection ? If not you should really look it up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Its amusing hes said I've contributed nowt to the thread other than nonsense or what ever considering he hasn't provided any evidence that a fictional city exists.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

The biggest problem with Atlantis is the numbers. Translation is definitely a problem here more than proof or no proof of anything.  

Then prove it’s been mistranslated. 

cormac

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Ok.

Pay him no mind. He’s a combination between a troll and a bad joke trying to take itself seriously. 

cormac

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Pay him no mind. He’s a combination between a troll and a bad joke trying to take itself seriously. 

cormac

Oh I'm well aware. Hence my heavy response of "ok".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I had a projection TV once, and I looked up to it. What have you contributed here? Just nonsense, and repeating the same as the other parrots in this aviary; it's an allegory, it's an allegory, it's an allegory.

And for your performance here is a projection for you too. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

For which reason the sea in those parts is impassable and impenetrable, because there is a shoal of mud in the way; and this was caused by the subsidence of the island.

Poseidon's small circular island was located near the "middle" of a shoreline (i.e. not located jutting out into the sea, like Attica).  

Plato used Crit 111,a,b,c  to explain why soil erosion did not pile up offshore from Attica, like sediment deposits pile up at the mouth of river deltas. 

[111a] The whole of the land [Attica] lies like a promontory jutting out from the rest of the continent far into the sea and all the cup of the sea; round about it is, as it happens, of a great depth. Consequently, since many great convulsions took place during the 9000 years—for such was the number of years [111b] from that time to this—the soil which has kept breaking away from the high lands during these ages and these disasters, forms no pile of sediment worth mentioning, as in other regions, but keeps sliding away ceaselessly and disappearing in the deep. ... at that epoch the country [Attica] was unimpaired, and for its mountains it had [111c] high arable hills, and in place of the “moorlands,” as they are now called, it contained plains full of rich soil;

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

cormac

I already fished you out several times, and after removing the hook, I have thrown you back, as you are too small and don't measure up.

Stop telling docyabut2 how well you know Plato's writings, as you clearly don't.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

I already fished you out several times, and after removing the hook, I have thrown you back, as you are too small and don't measure up.

Stop telling docyabut2 how well you know Plato's writings, as you clearly don't.

Well, I KNOW he mentioned impassible shoals. And despite your best attempts with barrier islands, so far I am Shoal-less. I'm suffering from Shoal Deprivation Synrdome. WHERE ARE MY SHOALS ? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

Your competence would have to increase by several orders of magnitude in order for you to qualify as merely stupid. Go BS someone else. 

cormac

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

I had a projection TV once, and I looked up to it. What have you contributed here? Just nonsense, and repeating the same as the other parrots in this aviary; it's an allegory, it's an allegory, it's an allegory.

And for your performance here is a projection for you too. 

Ok.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

Then prove it’s been mistranslated. 

cormac

Well there's the rub - retranslating Plato's C & T is a cottage industry and quite the fad. Everyone seems to have been doing it so they can place Atlantis on Sardinia, Sicily, Mesopotamia, Mars, Bolivia, Scotland, Greenland, Azores, Antarctica and most recently on an inbound extra-solar comet.

Its everywhere you want it to be!

Edited by Hanslune
removed errant letter
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

Apparently, Mario’s ditched his own thread. Again. 

Did I miss round 87 of his foot-stamping leave-taking?

—Jaylemurph 

He has gone to a cool and wonderful place to reconnect with his Greek muse, Κοαλεμος.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

You should extricate your cranium from your posterior sphincter muscle and pay attention to what Plato DOES say in the only two works dealing with Atlantis, Critias and Timaeus.

cormac

Due to your excellent use of big words you gain a reward:

uDlQThe.jpg

• Haha 9

11 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

Therefore your admonishment of " You cant call anyone delirious!" is proven completely inappropriate. And you have proven to be more full of it than the delirious piney

:lol: Projecting yourself on me again? 

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Polar said:

u4JsXYyoDAaXTR5twtOdFNiLa3xrsY9XI4vLMFsd

Oh my the Greenland on skates idea again. I know i asked before but how many times do you think you need to put forth the same failed idea?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Oh my the Greenland on skates idea again. I know i asked before but how many times do you think you need to put forth the same failed idea?

@jaylemurph  had to say the magic words. :yes:

and Greenland wasn't on skates. It was on many tiny feet. :o

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Well we have not bought it yet so maybe in 3 million post time of the same stuff we shall all be convinced, 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Polar said:

u4JsXYyoDAaXTR5twtOdFNiLa3xrsY9XI4vLMFsd

Only in an alternate universe. 

cormac

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

I'm curious how you came to that conclusion, seeing as you don't know one word of Ancient Greek.

--Jaylemurph 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Piney said:

@jaylemurph  had to say the magic words. :yes:

and Greenland wasn't on skates. It was on many tiny feet. :o

Obviously. You can't mince without feet. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• The topic was locked