Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Plato´s Atlantis was in a River Delta

Polar

1 hour ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I know what Plato wrote, but just because he wrote it doesn't make it true. Do you believe everything you read ?

Plato also wrote that Atlantis was founded by the children of Poseidon. So by applying your own methodology you must believe that Poseidon is real. Do you believe that ?

No, no selective believably is one of the finer of intellectual tools - it's an ALT F specialty - only stuff a person personally likes are real other stuff isn't - simples. They determine this by imagining stuff. However in this specific case they are just taking an illogical contrary position to try and troll people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Peter Cox said:

Care to comment PT - as you say you are Plato :) lol

Our beloved bevy of Atlantis believer are most amusingly as they don't agree with one another....outrageously funny. However, We are truly gifted to have here one eccentric, one true believer, one troll and one fantasists.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

However in this specific case they are just taking an illogical contrary position to try and troll people.

And it's getting bloody old......

1 minute ago, Piney said:

And it's getting bloody old......

Very, very old. I've been dealing with Atlantis online since the mid 80's (AOL) - the exact same arguments used then are still being put out here - and repeated endlessly. Literally the same thing said 10's of thousands of times.

Boring as hell.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Very, very old. I've been dealing with Atlantis online since the mid 80's (AOL) - the exact same arguments used then are still being put out here - and repeated endlessly. Literally the same thing said 10's of thousands of times.

Boring as hell.

I've been dealing with the Cayce's Atlantis crap since MSN Chatrooms in the 90s. 

Same circular argument from people who never studied geology or ancient history. Let alone actually read Plato.  

4 hours ago, Peter Cox said:

hahah not really :) a while ago in another topic PT shared with us that his knowledge of Atlantis stems from him being Plato reincarnated. However he places Atlantis in America in the future. 

Is that right? Must have missed that. Each to his own.

4 hours ago, Piney said:

Plato said it was told in the story. So where's the Egyptian record?  

Where is anything that resembles the legend of Atlantis in the whole of I.E. mythology? 

....that’s what Plato said. 

3 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

If that’s your excuse why aren’t you promoting Tir na Nog or Camelot as real places too? And why is Solon conspicuously silent on the subject of Atlantis when he allegedly heard it first? 

cormac

Who knows? Maybe they were.

18 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

....that’s what Plato said. 

He also said he invented the bloody story and the A.E. have no such story, especially connected with the Athenians.

@cormac mac airt posted the exact quote several pages back and I'm not participating in this stupid circular argument anymore........

• Like 1

Some here claim to be involved with Atlantis since the 80s and 90s, and that is quite a while back. And after all these years they are still involved, apparently. That's a show of real love for the story, even if it is as they say, the same old stuff, over and over, thousands of times.  

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, Piney said:

He also said he invented the bloody story

You were asked before to show where Plato's said he invented the Atlantis story, and still nothing, other than you say that Plato said he invented the story. Come bloody out with it, and cite where Plato wrote it.

And do you think that there would really be Atlantologists if Plato had written that the story was invented? Don't you think that others can at least read as well as you? Do you think that Sir Issac Newton, who surely was a much better man than you can ever claim to be, academically, missed that part where Plato wrote that he invented the story of Atlantis? And I'm just pointing out one Atlantologist when I mention Newton, although he was not that dedicated to it to devote all his time on it, as he also busied himself with Bible prophecy, since he considered himself especially gifted in also understanding the prophecies contained in the Bible.

• Confused 1

Just now, Pettytalk said:

You were asked before to show where Plato's said he invented the Atlantis story, and still nothing, other than you say that Plato said he invented the story. Come bloody out with it, and cite where Plato wrote it.

A couple pages back @cormac mac airt posted the whole passage, which I also said.

I'm not doing the work for you. Look for yourself. :yes:

1 hour ago, Pettytalk said:

Some here claim to be involved with Atlantis since the 80s and 90s, and that is quite a while back. And after all these years they are still involved, apparently. That's a show of real love for the story, even if it is as they say, the same old stuff, over and over, thousands of times.  

Well, when somebody is using it to rewrite Native history and culture al'a Edgar Cayce something has to be done. It's called "racism" and should be called out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

And do you think that there would really be Atlantologists if Plato had written that the story was invented? Don't you think that others can at least read as well as you? Do you think that Sir Issac Newton, who surely was a much better man than you can ever claim to be, academically, missed that part where Plato wrote that he invented the story of Atlantis? And I'm just pointing out one Atlantologist when I mention Newton, although he was not that dedicated to it to devote all his time on it, as he also busied himself with Bible prophecy, since he considered himself especially gifted in also understanding the prophecies contained in the Bible.

Prophecy is superstitious nonsense and the Shogun was wise for banning it.

As for Newton, yes I know and there is a lot of better academics here than me. But not you. Your just a liar with a silly idea whose posts walls of text in lieu of intellect. 

Found within The Chronology of Ancient Kingdoms Amended, are several passages that directly mention the land of Atlantis. The first such passage is part of his Short Chronicle which indicates his belief that Homer's Ulysses left the island of Ogygia in 896 BC. In Greek mythology, Ogygia was home to Calypso, the daughter of Atlas (after whom Atlantis was named). Some scholars have suggested that Ogygia and Atlantis are locationally connected, or possibly the same island. From his writings it appears Newton may have shared this belief. Newton also lists Cadis or Cales as possible candidates for Ogygia, though does not cite his reasons for believing so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Newton%27s_occult_studies#Newton's_Atlantis

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Who knows? Maybe they were.

Recently I saw a glimmer of intelligence in one of your posts, apparently it was a one-off occurrence. 

cormac

• Haha 2

Panathenaic Games

The competitions for which this festival came to be known were only part of a much larger religious occasion; the Great Panathenaia itself. These ritual observances consisted of numerous sacrifices to Athena (the name-sake of the event and patron deity to the hosts of the event - Athens) as well as Poseidon and others. The Panathenaic festival was formed in order to honor the goddess Athena who had become the patron of Athens after having a competition with the god Poseidon where they were to win the favor of the Athenian people by offering the people gifts. The festival would also bring unity among the people of Athens.[3] A sister-event to the Great Panathenaia was held every year - the Lesser Panathenaia, which was 3–4 days shorter in celebration. The competitions were the most prestigious games for the citizens of Athens, but not as important as the Olympic Games or the other Panhellenic Games.

@Pettytalk

Ancient Greek historian Pausanias talks about a race of people with red skin and hair like that of a horse living to the west where Atlantis was supposed to be.

https://chs.harvard.edu/CHS/article/display/5896.description-of-greece-a-pausanias-reader

Pausanias called this island "Satyrides," referring to the Atlantes and those who profess to know the measurements of the earth. He states that far west of the Ocean there lies a groupof islands whose inhabitants are red-skinned and whose hair is like that of the horse. (Christopher Columbus described them the same way.

12 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

@Pettytalk

Ancient Greek historian Pausanias talks about a race of people with red skin and hair like that of a horse living to the west where Atlantis was supposed to be.

https://chs.harvard.edu/CHS/article/display/5896.description-of-greece-a-pausanias-reader

Pausanias called this island "Satyrides," referring to the Atlantes and those who profess to know the measurements of the earth. He states that far west of the Ocean there lies a groupof islands whose inhabitants are red-skinned and whose hair is like that of the horse. (Christopher Columbus described them the same way.

Making more stuff up eh? The actual sentence describing the Satyrides says: 

The islands were called Satyrides by the sailors, and the inhabitants were red haired, and had upon their flanks tails not much smaller than those of horses.

Satyr's perhaps. Definitely NOT humans. 

As to the portion mentioning Atlantes: 

There are other Aethiopians who are neighbors of the Mauroi and extend as far as the Nasamones. For the Nasamones, whom Herodotus calls the Atlantes, and those who profess to know the measurements of the earth, named the Lixitai, are the Libyans who live the farthest close to Mount Atlas, and they do not till the ground at all, but live on wild vines. 

So living in northwest Africa. 

cormac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I think there is an enduring connection between Athens-Atlantis and Athena the Goddess and Poseidon the sea God. Plato's Atlantis is more than an allegory. More like a historical reference. 

1 hour ago, cormac mac airt said:

Recently I saw a glimmer of intelligence in one of your posts, apparently it was a one-off occurrence. 

cormac

So, i noticed you're extremely quiet about the Panathenaic games and the connection between Poseidon and Athena- Athens and Atlantis. So this proves that Atlantis isn't a figment of Plato's mind since the games are significantly older than him. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

I think there is an enduring connection between Athens-Atlantis and Athena the Goddess and Poseidon the sea God. Plato's Atlantis is more than an allegory. More like a historical reference. 

Poseidon was originally the god of horses, rivers and the Underworld. But the Proto-Greeks originated as steppe nomads. His origin is unknown. Athena was a Minoan indigenous goddess. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Is this a reference to Native Americans? 

Pausanias was talking about baboons. Not people. 

8 minutes ago, Piney said:

Poseidon was originally the god of horses, rivers and the Underworld. But the Proto-Greeks originated as steppe nomads. His origin is unknown. Athena was a Minoan indigenous goddess. 

Maybe. 

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

Is this a reference to Native Americans? 

Pausanias was talking about baboons. Not people. 

Race of people. It would seem that the old world knew about your lands nd people way before Columbus.

• The topic was locked