Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Polar

Plato´s Atlantis was in a River Delta

1,142 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Pettytalk
7 hours ago, Polar said:

That is a complete and utter disrespect for me and my theory. Athanasius Kircher is really not as important as hard geologic evidence i have already forwarded. But please, laugh all you want. The fact is i could easily discard those Kircher compositions from the bulk of images that i have produced so far, and still prove i am right. So when someone says that my claim is based on the superficial  similarity between Kircher's insula and Greenland, it makes sad...

 

Come on Mario, or Polar, don't take it so hard, Tony O is just as ignorant on Plato's Atlantis, based on his editorials of the material he warehouses on his site.  Besides, your hypothesis is really hilarious. Moving Island floating on its own, why it sounds like a good place where Leto gave birth to Artemis and Apollo. Is that where you got your silly idea, from another myth? Well, no wonder you are now pushing Ulf Ritcher's hypothesis, as his is not as funny as yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Polar
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Swede said:

Good grief. Your "argument" dates back over a decade. Your "hard geological evidence" has repeatedly been disproven. Why, of course, a rather significant land mass mysteriously detaching itself from its primary tectonic plate context, plowing through the mid-Atlantic ridge, and then attaching itself to the North American craton certainly represents a perfectly rational interpretation. Particularly given the comparative geological vs human timelines.

In short, you, yet again, have no credible data to support your position.

.

Swede,

There will be data available soon, as Greenland is slowly starting to reveal its deepest secrets.

My new investigation deals with the latest technology e.g. Light Detection And Ranging (LIDAR) which has now also being used in the field of Archaeology:

p00xwvg7.jpg

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20120827-the-laser-archaeologists

you said:

Quote

[...] a rather significant land mass mysteriously detaching itself from its primary tectonic plate context, plowing through the mid-Atlantic ridge, and then attaching itself to the North American craton [...]

I am convinced that it is exactly what happened...

NASA Scientist Reveals Greenland's Geologic Past

 

Edited by Polar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cormac mac airt
Posted (edited)
Quote

Polar: "I am convinced that it is exactly what happened..."

And yet geological evidence doesn't support that conclusion. Greenland moved in step with the other landmasses during the breakup of Pangaea BEFORE there ever was a Mid-Atlantic Ridge, as such, which means it was NEVER where you claim it to have been. 

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jaylemurph
57 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

And yet geological evidence doesn't support that conclusion. Greenland moved in step with the other landmasses during the breakup of Pangaea BEFORE there ever was a Mid-Atlantic Ridge, as such, which means it was NEVER where you claim it to have been. 

cormac

Mario can’t even post material that doesn’t completely undermine his point — how much respect can his opinion command?

—Jaylemurph 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cormac mac airt
1 minute ago, jaylemurph said:

Mario can’t even post material that doesn’t completely undermine his point — how much respect can his opinion command?

—Jaylemurph 

Oh I never mentioned respect. He has none. Neither self-respect nor the respect of his peers when he consistently posts sources which so obviously negate his conclusions. Sadly there will be some who think he actually knows what he's talking about. He never has. 

cormac

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swede
17 hours ago, Piney said:

Singlefooting!! :angry:

Single bottom breaker behind a Shire (!).

.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
1 minute ago, Swede said:

Single bottom breaker behind a Shire (!).

.

No thanks! Using them to drag Atlantic whites down a corduroy road was enough. 

Especially during greenhead season. :wacko:

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swede
4 hours ago, Polar said:

Swede,

There will be data available soon, as Greenland is slowly starting to reveal its deepest secrets.

My new investigation deals with the latest technology e.g. Light Detection And Ranging (LIDAR) which has now also being used in the field of Archaeology:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20120827-the-laser-archaeologists

you said:

I am convinced that it is exactly what happened...

NASA Scientist Reveals Greenland's Geologic Past

 

1) You have long ago demonstrated your utter lack of research capability.

2) You are well behind the curve. Have been utilizing LiDAR technology for years and am more than passingly familiar with its applications in archaeological research.

3) You apparently do not understand the information provided in your video, nor would you appear to understand that it does not support your "argument".

That you are "convinced" of your fantasy simply demonstrates the level of your ignorance in regards to legitimate investigations. To be a bit more blunt: Based upon all the current and extensive (read voluminous) research, your fantasy scenario is not only unevidenced but is physically impossible.

.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
12 minutes ago, Swede said:

 Have been utilizing LiDAR technology for years and am more than passingly familiar with its applications in archaeological research.

That did give me a giggle considering how many plowed down looted mounds we found with it.........

........and that one murder victim buried in a 71 Nova. :wacko: 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mellon Man

"My new investigation deals with the latest technology e.g. Light Detection And Ranging (LIDAR) which has now also being used in the field of Archaeology:"

LiDAR has been used within archaeology for nearly two decades now.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pettytalk

My new investigation deals with floating islands. Speaking of which, there may be some truth to myths, as they say. The wise, ancient Egyptian priest was one of those that said it.

Plato's Timaeus.

I mean to say, he replied, that in mind you are all young; there is no old opinion handed down among you by ancient tradition, nor any science which is hoary with age. And I will tell you why. There have been, and will be again, many destructions of mankind arising out of many causes; the greatest have been brought about by the agencies of fire and water, and other lesser ones by innumerable other causes. There is a story, which even you have preserved, that once upon a time Paethon, the son of Helios, having yoked the steeds in his father’s chariot, because he was not able to drive them in the path of his father, burnt up all that was upon the earth, and was himself destroyed by a thunderbolt. Now this has the form of a myth, but really signifies a declination of the bodies moving in the heavens around the earth, and a great conflagration of things upon the earth, which recurs after long intervals......

It seems that the Egyptian priest is giving Solon a glimpse of future events, although not giving any specific future dates on when these recurring large scale destructions will take place. In other words, The priest is acting much like an oracle. The story of Atlantis is a rendition of a massive destructive event that effected life forms and landmasses. The moral in this instance is that "if it can happen in the past, it will happen in the future too. Because these kind of things recur at long intervals.

Since the location of Atlantis is always floating around the globe, then it must signify that it's the island of Delos.

Seriously though, the question here is to ask if the ancients were not giving future scientists a hint that they knew of plate tectonics? After all we now know that all landmasses (plates) float, and move around the surface of the earth, albeit, very, very slowly over millions of years.

http://www.ancient-wisdom.com/greecedelos.htm

Delos: (Oracle Centre - The 'Floating Island')).

One of the most important mythological, historical and archaeological sites in Greece. Indeed, its location at the centre of the Cyclades gives rise to the theory that the name of the Cyclades group of islands in the Aegean sea comes from the word, circle or 'kyklos' that form around the island of Delos.

The island is famous as the birthplace of the twin gods Apollo and Artemis.

As well as being an important archaeological site, Delos is connected geometrically with other important Greek sites and is a part of the 'oracle octave' as proposed by Livvio Stecchini.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pettytalk
On 7/23/2019 at 5:38 PM, Swede said:

Why, of course, a rather significant land mass mysteriously detaching itself from its primary tectonic plate context, plowing through the mid-Atlantic ridge, and then attaching itself to the North American craton certainly represents a perfectly rational interpretation.

You are not being fair, as you are not considering icebergs. Icebergs do indeed float around on their own, independently of their primary plates of formation. And what is Greenland after all? Nothing that it's name would indicate, but it's really one giant piece of ice!  Remember the Titanic? It was sailing in the North Atlantic when it ran into a floating island, perhaps a remnant of Atlantis which remained afloat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pettytalk
23 hours ago, Polar said:

There will be data available soon, as Greenland is slowly starting to reveal its deepest secrets.

@Polar,

I hope you did not take me seriously on my comments on your Atlantis hypothesis. It was more like a clown to another clown in the same circus clown act, as I have my own Atlantis version that makes the skeptics here laugh more at me than at you, and it's not even close, as the laughs go.

It's too bad that the cynics around here do not understand that Plato indeed was giving clues about a real place. I have had a conversation or two with others who have a scholarly hypothesis on Atlantis, and I have never been convinced that anyone has ever found Plato's Atlantis, even though some can make a decent case for it.

I feel that anything Plato mentioned, in reference to Atlantis, is some sort of embedded clue on a lower layer, even though everyone is quite taken only with the surface, and take it literally. For instance, superficially it would seem that Plato's reference to the colors of rocks used for building the infrastructures in Atlantis.is quite innocently just that, rock colors. I tend to believe that it's something else that Plato intended.

What do you make of of these white, black and red stones/rocks? After all, how can that be of help in reference to finding and corroborating a location to be proposed as Plato's Atlantis? Considering the very large size of Atlantis, in an area that large these three colors of rocks would seem that they would be easily found in nearly every part of the earth.

Plato's Critias

All this including the zones and the bridge, which was the sixth part of a stadium in width, they surrounded by a stone wall on every side, placing towers and gates on the bridges where the sea passed in. The stone which was used in the work they quarried from underneath the centre island, and from underneath the zones, on the outer as well as the inner side. One kind was white, another black, and a third red.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
khazarkhum
2 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

@Polar,

I hope you did not take me seriously on my comments on your Atlantis hypothesis. It was more like a clown to another clown in the same circus clown act, as I have my own Atlantis version that makes the skeptics here laugh more at me than at you, and it's not even close, as the laughs go.

It's too bad that the cynics around here do not understand that Plato indeed was giving clues about a real place. I have had a conversation or two with others who have a scholarly hypothesis on Atlantis, and I have never been convinced that anyone has ever found Plato's Atlantis, even though some can make a decent case for it.

I feel that anything Plato mentioned, in reference to Atlantis, is some sort of embedded clue on a lower layer, even though everyone is quite taken only with the surface, and take it literally. For instance, superficially it would seem that Plato's reference to the colors of rocks used for building the infrastructures in Atlantis.is quite innocently just that, rock colors. I tend to believe that it's something else that Plato intended.

What do you make of of these white, black and red stones/rocks? After all, how can that be of help in reference to finding and corroborating a location to be proposed as Plato's Atlantis? Considering the very large size of Atlantis, in an area that large these three colors of rocks would seem that they would be easily found in nearly every part of the earth.

Plato's Critias

All this including the zones and the bridge, which was the sixth part of a stadium in width, they surrounded by a stone wall on every side, placing towers and gates on the bridges where the sea passed in. The stone which was used in the work they quarried from underneath the centre island, and from underneath the zones, on the outer as well as the inner side. One kind was white, another black, and a third red.....

Well, let's see. Did people build with white stone? Yes, yes they did. White marble and limestone. Black? Yes again--basalt. What about red? Sandstone comes in a variety of reds. See Petra, the red rock city, for an example. Plato was describing the stones he knew about, nothing more.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peter Cox
15 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

@Polar,

I hope you did not take me seriously on my comments on your Atlantis hypothesis. It was more like a clown to another clown in the same circus clown act, as I have my own Atlantis version that makes the skeptics here laugh more at me than at you, and it's not even close, as the laughs go.

It's too bad that the cynics around here do not understand that Plato indeed was giving clues about a real place. I have had a conversation or two with others who have a scholarly hypothesis on Atlantis, and I have never been convinced that anyone has ever found Plato's Atlantis, even though some can make a decent case for it.

I feel that anything Plato mentioned, in reference to Atlantis, is some sort of embedded clue on a lower layer, even though everyone is quite taken only with the surface, and take it literally. For instance, superficially it would seem that Plato's reference to the colors of rocks used for building the infrastructures in Atlantis.is quite innocently just that, rock colors. I tend to believe that it's something else that Plato intended.

What do you make of of these white, black and red stones/rocks? After all, how can that be of help in reference to finding and corroborating a location to be proposed as Plato's Atlantis? Considering the very large size of Atlantis, in an area that large these three colors of rocks would seem that they would be easily found in nearly every part of the earth.

Plato's Critias

All this including the zones and the bridge, which was the sixth part of a stadium in width, they surrounded by a stone wall on every side, placing towers and gates on the bridges where the sea passed in. The stone which was used in the work they quarried from underneath the centre island, and from underneath the zones, on the outer as well as the inner side. One kind was white, another black, and a third red.....

Much the same as  J. R. R. Tolkien in lord of the rings. 

In fact Lord of the rings has more credibility as some of the places were based on real places. 

Please PT enlighten us on these clues you speak of. Reincarnation and a warning for the current US? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pettytalk
2 hours ago, Peter Cox said:

Much the same as  J. R. R. Tolkien in lord of the rings. 

In fact Lord of the rings has more credibility as some of the places were based on real places. 

Please PT enlighten us on these clues you speak of. Reincarnation and a warning for the current US? 

Athough you don't look like Polar to me, since it was a question directed at him, still, wanting to enlighten with a little amusement for myself also, I'll entertain your wish, and also provide a little more material of coincidences for your pleasure, as well as for your kindergarden classmates. Let the show restart.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redskin

The origin of the choice of "red" to describe Native Americans in English is debated. While related terms were used in anthropological literature as early as the 17th century, labels based on skin-color entered everyday speech around the middle of the 18th century. "At the start of the eighteenth century, Indians and Europeans rarely mentioned the color of each other’s skins. By midcentury, remarks about skin color and the categorization of peoples by simple color-coded labels (red, white, black) had become commonplace."[7]

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Trelane

Lots of non answers to rather easy questions in here I see. I would call that strange, but the two main culprits are establishing a decent track record of redirection and flat out not answering.

Smells rather trollish...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pettytalk
1 hour ago, Trelane said:

Lots of non answers to rather easy questions in here I see. I would call that strange, but the two main culprits are establishing a decent track record of redirection and flat out not answering.

Smells rather trollish...

Just what you are driving at I cannot put my finger on, but tha's the problem with tbe physical senses. For instance, the sense of smell can at times be put to good use, if things are natural and of close proximity. However, that which is far and beyond the sense of smell, a nose, or rather, a nosy person cannot get a whiff of, and naturally, cannot get at the scent.

What smells trolish to you, I can grasp with a touch of my little finger, aided by my intuition. I was asked to enlighten and I lit the idea I have, if you follow me. As they say, there you have it, in black and white. And in this case, a touch of red was given in addition. Perhaps just a coincidence, like those others, but still, it's plausible. String a dozen or so cincidences together, and presto! it becomes possible. Then add a few more to the dozen, and pretty soon a few dark minds will begin to lighten up a bit, to pun on light and darkness, chiaroscuro. After all it's Socrates' painting that the trio had to show forth, while also taking the fourth's part, as well. Or better still than a painting, an animal alive, but perfectly still. But this last you could not even imagjne to sense it, even if I would shove its meaning directly up your nostrils.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Polar
On 7/24/2019 at 6:02 AM, Pettytalk said:

Come on Mario, or Polar, don't take it so hard, Tony O is just as ignorant on Plato's Atlantis, based on his editorials of the material he warehouses on his site.  Besides, your hypothesis is really hilarious. Moving Island floating on its own, why it sounds like a good place where Leto gave birth to Artemis and Apollo. Is that where you got your silly idea, from another myth? Well, no wonder you are now pushing Ulf Ritcher's hypothesis, as his is not as funny as yours.

His (Ulf Richter's) new measures coincide with what i think is found underneath Greenland. Forget the moving/floating island for now, please.

Are there not silly ideas which are true? The existence of parallel universes, etc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Polar
On 7/24/2019 at 4:44 PM, cormac mac airt said:

And yet geological evidence doesn't support that conclusion. Greenland moved in step with the other landmasses during the breakup of Pangaea BEFORE there ever was a Mid-Atlantic Ridge, as such, which means it was NEVER where you claim it to have been. 

cormac

True, but there are other evidences that do. We should discuss what was the subject of this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Trelane
Just now, Polar said:

True, but there are other evidences that do. We should discuss what was the subject of this thread.

No, no there aren't.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cormac mac airt
4 minutes ago, Polar said:

True, but there are other evidences that do. We should discuss what was the subject of this thread.

Your interpretations DON’T make them facts. It’s embarrassing how many times your own sources invalidate your conclusions. 

cormac

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Polar
On 7/24/2019 at 8:52 PM, Swede said:

1) You have long ago demonstrated your utter lack of research capability.

2) You are well behind the curve. Have been utilizing LiDAR technology for years and am more than passingly familiar with its applications in archaeological research.

3) You apparently do not understand the information provided in your video, nor would you appear to understand that it does not support your "argument".

That you are "convinced" of your fantasy simply demonstrates the level of your ignorance in regards to legitimate investigations. To be a bit more blunt: Based upon all the current and extensive (read voluminous) research, your fantasy scenario is not only unevidenced but is physically impossible.

.

1) True! My research capability does not compare to yours,

2) and i admit to have little or no knowledge of this technology. but is currently being used in Greenland

3) The video is unimportant. I confess that i just used it to make a point, which wasn't understood by you.

The fact is that scientists are more and more interested in knowing what is under all that ice, as accurately as possible, as soon as possible. I recently read about this new LIDAR use regarding Greenland's bedrock. It was never used before to portray the bedrock beneath more than 3 km of ice. And that is exciting...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jaylemurph
24 minutes ago, Polar said:

His (Ulf Richter's) new measures coincide with what i think is found underneath Greenland. Forget the moving/floating island for now, please.

Are there not silly ideas which are true? The existence of parallel universes, etc?

Just forget one of the stupidest ideas ever floated on this site? 

Hell no: it’s a benchmark of reality-rejecting, science-demeaning, vanity-over-common-sense fake scholarship, and your total inability to convince even one person of average intelligence by quoting material that proves you wrong is legendary on this site. 

It, and you, will live in mediocrity. 

—Jaylemurph 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Polar
27 minutes ago, Trelane said:

No, no there aren't.

pangea.jpg

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/05/27/today-in-pangaea/

Quote

 To his twin brother, who was born after him, and obtained as his lot the extremity of the island towards the Pillars of Heracles, facing the country which is now called the region of Gades in that part of the world, he gave the name which in the Hellenic language is Eumelus, in the language of the country which is named after him, Gadeirus. 

http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/critias.html

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

    • pyrephoenix