Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Plato´s Atlantis was in a River Delta

Polar

Hello,

I decided to start yet another thread on Atlantis. This time the discussion should be around not a location, but the numerous gigantic dimensions throughout Plato's Atlantis. This is perhaps the most important work on Plato ever. Ulf Richter proposes a dramatic change in our understanding of Atlantis dimensions. 

The reported depth of the canals shows that Plato´s “stades” must be translated as Egyptian length units “Khet” (1 khet = 52,4 m), and so we get realistic dimensions for the plain (length 157 km, width 105 km) and the Royal City (diameter 6,6 km). Tables show the dimensions of Atlantis in comparison with buildings and canals in ancient and modern times.

cCLyQJNYh7vHToc1uxUu4jrCad4gwNDEwLur0LUs

SmT_RqaGEfITHOKJ4nBJdX_VSqlVi5zibuu6hc7E

http://www.black-sea-atlantis.com/richter.pdf

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm curious what in the debacle that was your last thread that lead you to the conclusion it'd beca good idea to do it again.

...cause you getting your masochism all over the place again is unsightly and embarrassing.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

This paper doesn't hypothesize any location....

.......Of course the location was only in Plato's mind,

Edited by Piney
**** Atlantis
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Polar said:

Hello,

I decided to start yet another thread on Atlantis. This time the discussion should be around not a location, but the numerous gigantic dimensions throughout Plato's Atlantis. This is perhaps the most important work on Plato ever. Ulf Richter proposes a dramatic change in our understanding of Atlantis dimensions. 

This is rather boring. Why not discuss the size of the Hobbit shire or the size of Barsoom's canals or perhaps what was the size of the greatest sand worm upon Arrakis?

Seriously what is the point?

We know that around the Royal City of Atlantis lay an absolutely flat and even plain, irrigated by a widely-branched system of canals that drain into the sea.

....no we don't KNOW that.....

A new and amazing result is that we have to divide all measures given by Plato by the factor 3,5, or in other words to replace the Greek “Stade” in his narration by the Egyptian “Khet”. All the newly calculated dimensions are credible and probable.

..... For the ocean there was at that time navigable; for in front of the mouth which you Greeks call, as you say, 'the pillars of Heracles,' there lay an island which was larger than Libya and Asia together;

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yay another thread that tries to prove Plato's Atlantis by dicarding what plato wrote about Atlantis. :no:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Yay another thread that tries to prove Plato's Atlantis by dicarding what plato wrote about Atlantis. :no:

Well what he said cannot be applied to the real world so - we find that the 'play-doh' masters go about making up kinds of silly stuff....why? I have no idea.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hanslune said:

Barsoom

The cities there minced. :yes:

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Piney said:

The cities there minced. :yes:

They flowed and floated that is why one was called Helium.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

They flowed and floated that is why one was called Helium.

Zadonga singlefooted. :o

7 hours ago, Polar said:

Hello,

OK Polar, I'm game, although one should never start anew when the former has not yet been completed.

But you seem not to understand the picture Plato drew, yourself. Here is Jowett (italics) on the Critias, and the width and depth of the main canal cut from the sea to inland, and of the many cross-crossing canals. Also take note of the references for the vessel sizes, in relation to the width allowances, to the specified areas.

And beginning from the sea they bored a canal of three hundred feet in width and one hundred feet in depth and fifty stadia in length, which they carried through to the outermost zone, making a passage from the sea up to this, which became a harbour, and leaving an opening sufficient to enable the largest vessels to find ingress. Moreover, they divided at the bridges the zones of land which parted the zones of sea, leaving room for a single trireme to pass out of one zone into another, and they covered over the channels so as to leave a way underneath for the ships; for the banks were raised considerably above the water........

Further inland, likewise, straight canals of a hundred feet in width were cut from it through the plain, and again let off into the ditch leading to the sea: these canals were at intervals of a hundred stadia, and by them they brought down the wood from the mountains to the city, and conveyed the fruits of the earth in ships, cutting transverse passages from one canal into another, and to the city.......

There is no mention of any canal being a stadia wide (185 meters), as the main and widest canal is 300 feet, with a depth of 100 feet. And the many others are said to be 100 feet wide, but their depths are not mentioned. Although further descriptions tell us that they had to be deep enough to allow vessels to sail in them for commerce, since the waterways were used for transport of goods. The one stadia width is for the circular/winding ditch, which is really indicating an existent river, and where some man-made manipulations were performed. The other body of water that is said to be a stadia in width, is the smaller of the two circular strips.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Greek_units_of_measurement

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hanslune said:

perhaps what was the size of the greatest sand worm upon Arrakis?

Off the top of my head, the one Paul summons to ride the first time is about 400m long, and that’s considered to be portentous, however Leto summons one even larger to demonstrate his control of the worms - I think that’s “twice as large”.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Why not discuss the size of the Hobbit shire

We know the size of the Shire, 18.000 Square Miles. Though I assume the West March isn't included in that, since it was only given to the Hobbits by King Elessar I. And I'm not sure whether Buckland is included in that number either.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Polar said:

Hello,

Good lord NO - not another one please..... Stop the madness........... 

• Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

OK Polar, I'm game, although one should never start anew when the former has not yet been completed.

But you seem not to understand the picture Plato drew, yourself. Here is Jowett (italics) on the Critias, and the width and depth of the main canal cut from the [...]

Somebody should have told Leonardo or Michelangelo that!  :P

eta:  Then again, Petty, in this particular scenario I concur.

Edited by The Wistman
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Hanslune said:

This is rather boring. Why not discuss the size of the Hobbit shire or the size of Barsoom's canals or perhaps what was the size of the greatest sand worm upon Arrakis?

Seriously what is the point?

I think he was told to never Wakanda a ladder.

• Haha 5

Why are we not discussing the MOST IMPORTANT question .... was Tom Bombadil God having a laugh?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Why are we not discussing the MOST IMPORTANT question .... was Tom Bombadil God having a laugh?

Notice how you never see Bombadil together with the Witch King of Angmar? Why? What is being hidden?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

And if that's the case... What does that make Goldberry?

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, The Wistman said:

Somebody should have told Leonardo or Michelangelo that!  :P

eta:  Then again, Petty, in this particular scenario I concur.

Mike and Leo were off enjoying their cute little red-headed things, too busy to care what we think.

--Jaylemurph 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On July 18, 2019 at 3:13 PM, Polar said:

Hello,

Wh would Atlanteans 9,000 years ago give a **** about the size of ships that wouldn't appear from another 8,200 years?

How would they even know what a trireme would be?

--Jaylemurph 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Also God. 

• Like 2

image.png.34ac5225a39bf3a01130ee6ed0230df4.png

All we need is two goal posts at each end, and we can start a game of college American football. Looks more like a football stadium, where the mountains represent the stands. Where are the hash marks? However, I think Ulf, God rest his soul, had too vivid a imagination. Perhaps a little 90 degree turn would put it in the correct perspective for the Big 10 of Atlantis.

Critias dialogue excerpt, Jowett's translation.

Nevertheless I must say what I was told. It was excavated to the depth of a hundred feet, and its breadth was a stadium everywhere; it was carried round the whole of the plain, and was ten thousand stadia in length. It received the streams which came down from the mountains, and winding round the plain and meeting at the city, was there let off into the sea.Further inland, likewise, straight canals of a hundred feet in width were cut from it through the plain, and again let off into the ditch leading to the sea: these canals were at intervals of a hundred stadia, and by them they brought down the wood from the mountains to the city, and conveyed the fruits of the earth in ships, cutting transverse passages from one canal into another, and to the city. Twice in the year they gathered the fruits of the earth—in winter having the benefit of the rains of heaven, and in summer the water which the land supplied by introducing streams from the canals.

Definition of transverse

(Entry 1 of 2)

1 : acting, lying, or being across : set crosswise
2 : made at right angles to the long axis of the body

Transverse direction. Literally, "across," usually signifying a direction or plane perpendicular to the direction of working.

Additionally, the diagonal straight lines meeting at the city, are nowhere remotely indicative of something that is round, and winding round the plain.

Indiana.jpg

8 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

One of the few female characters in LOTR?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

Mike and Leo were off enjoying their cute little red-headed things, too busy to care what we think.

--Jaylemurph 

That must surely be why their projects went unfinished.  They were so busy with the redheads.   B)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Still my favorite part of that tale. From the travels through the Old Forest to the end with the Barrow Wights, pure magic.

• Like 4

• The topic was locked