Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gender Neutral Terms

susieice

I put this here because this is bizarre. I only regret that you can't read the comments. People just cracking up laughing. My particular favorite was written by a man named Bill. He's offended by the word "hole" and wants it renamed a "circular subterranean access hatch". I agree with John. That comment deserves a beer. This has gone from stupid to nonsense.

https://6abc.com/5403786/?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

A few years ago I read a sci-fi novel that used gender neutral language to describe the main character because that character came from a society that did not recognize gender.  It was a society run by a mega AI.  Anyway, it was interesting because the characters that met the main character let you know the gender of the body the AI was manipulating by their responses to the character's presence, but that only happens half way through the novel.  I enjoyed that one but I haven't read the sequel.  I will see if I can find it and post it.

• Like 4

Suppose I'm talking about my sibling but I have two and they are different genders?  Can I say brother or sister or do I have to describe them physically.  Which sibling are you talking about OverSword?  Oh the medium height sibling with dark hair and blue eyes.  But OverSword that describes them both.  Oh the one with the larger tits then.

Edited by OverSword
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Suppose I'm talking about my sibling but I have two and they are different genders?  Can I say brother or sister or do I have to describe them physically.  Which sibling are you talking about OverSword?  Oh the medium height sibling with dark hair and blue eyes.  But OverSword that describes them both.  Oh the one with the larger tits then.

The Berkeley city council approved an ordinance eliminating gender-preference language in the municipal code.

It is for municipal code, not conversation.  That comes after the A.I. rebellion in 2150.  (I tell my grandkids they need to be polite to Siri and Alexa for their grand children's sake)

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

It is for municipal code, not conversation.  That comes after the A.I. rebellion in 2150.  (I tell my grandkids they need to be polite to Siri and Alexa for their grand children's sake)

Go to the article.  Brother and sister replaced with the word sibling.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, OverSword said:

There will be no references of a sexual nature in this conversation. How offensive! :lol:

• Haha 4

BERKELEY, Calif. -- Don't call it a manhole. It's a "maintenance hole."

Man-made will now be "human-made," "artificial," or "manufactured." Manpower will be referred to as "human effort."

Gendered pronouns like "he" and "she" will be replaced by "they" or "them."

Sororities and fraternities will now be called "collegiate Greek system residences."

Wow.  Whilst I can respect a lot of progressive ideas that various people come up with, provided they're not hurting anyone, it makes me think of something your parents teach you when you're a child and something I'm teaching my kids too...If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.  Therefore, I'm going to zip it now. :D 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, pixiii said:

Wow.  Whilst I can respect a lot of progressive ideas that various people come up with, provided they're not hurting anyone, it makes me think of something your parents teach you when you're a child and something I'm teaching my kids too...If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.  Therefore, I'm going to zip it now. :D 

I know I will be in big trouble with the gender word police! :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, pixiii said:

Just as they intended. Dance puppet, dance!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

I'd say, brother or sister, man or woman and laugh in their face if they complained.  I might also tell them just how offensive their attitude was, IMO.  

• Like 4

Advanced issues found

31 minutes ago, pixiii said:

But, you see, in time that won't do at all.  In time, your vocal compliance with their nuttiness will be demanded on pain of legal penalty.  People have ignored their nonsense long enough and it's past time to stand up and tell them where to put it.  I've never been intentionally offensive to gay or transgender people or even people of a different race.  In future that may well change as a backlash against their nonsense.  What RIGHT do they have to tell another adult how they MUST interact with people?  None in the world.  NONE.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, and then said:

I'd say, brother or sister, man or woman and laugh in their face if they complained.  I might also tell them just how offensive their attitude was, IMO.  

I like tits myself 

• Haha 3

There's a lot of dictionary for these idiots to go through and change. Nobody is going to understand what someone else is saying anyway.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, and then said:

But, you see, in time that won't do at all.  In time, your vocal compliance with their nuttiness will be demanded on pain of legal penalty.  People have ignored their nonsense long enough and it's past time to stand up and tell them where to put it.  I've never been intentionally offensive to gay or transgender people or even people of a different race.  In future that may well change as a backlash against their nonsense.  What RIGHT do they have to tell another adult how they MUST interact with people?  None in the world.  NONE.  

No need to be intentionally offensive, just refuse to conform to legally required language standards if it gets to that point, which I seriously doubt it will. You must have heard Jordan Peterson on this subject 

• Like 2

They and them is the most ridiculous pronoun. 

I have never met anyone who wanted a different pronoun, if I did and they told me what they prefer I would be nice and ablige. But If an individual wants to be called they or them then I'm not doing it.

That's not how the language works lol. They and them is plural lol

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How about it? Can that work?

• Like 1

My Husband works for a very progressive liberal thinking company where all they do all day is bash Trump re his latest tweet etc.  They've employed a woman who says she is gender neutral and does not want to be called a she or her or whatever else she came up with (I obviously wasn't there) and she dresses like a man, has a traditional man's haircut (ie. buzzcut style), has huge old big thick black lined tattoos all over her arms and legs (they sometimes wear shorts to work, it's very progressive you know! :P ), binds her breasts with some type of cloth (that's all good, she's not hurting anyone is she?), grows a beard so must be on hormones of some type perhaps, has a female voice (ie. not deep like a man's voice).....I think that's all?  

But the point I was going to make before being sidetracked is, when she is away (and they're all too frightened to ask her why she is away for days/weeks at a time) they all call her a she.  I said to him, well that kinda shows that none of his fellow work colleagues really care that she asked to be addressed as a gender neutral person, especially if you only make the effort when she's there in person. He agreed. 

Therefore, the majority of them (being all of his coworkers) really didn't care behind the person's back.  It's amazing how people are afraid to speak up for fear of offending others now. 

I know that I would no doubt stuff up severely if I had to work with someone who wanted to identify as something other than male or female.  Maybe I'm just too old fashioned! :lol: 

Edited by pixiii
  • Like 2

I was watching OverSword's video. I can't imagine how they came up with 31 genders. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, susieice said:

I was watching OverSword's video. I can't imagine how they came up with 31 genders. 

For Facebook users you can really try on some alternative genders for size ...... 71 of them to be precise! :D

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/facebook/10930654/Facebooks-71-gender-options-come-to-UK-users.html

• Haha 2

No matter how you mix it, you're made of either an xx or xy set of chromosomes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm happy to call people by whatever they ask me to. Costs me nothing and makes no difference if someone wants to use certain pronouns instead of others. I've spent my whole life with changing terms, back when I was little the place I got my wheelchairs from was called California Crippled Children. Used to back in the day all disabled people were feeble. I like disabled and it bugs me if people say differently abled or special needs. I am neither of those. When you are different it's not like people let you forget anyway, it's always being pointed at or singled out in some way so why should it bother anyone what they want to be called? Unless it's an HR violation like your boss wants you to call him Daddy, I don't see the issue. The article seems silly but its supposed to as a let's find the extreme so as to make anyone asking for pronoun changes to look like a freak haha. Which is not cool. Most people asking for them are nice people who feel better being referred to as the pronoun of their choice. If rock stars, rappers and artists can choose a new name or be referred to as Prince, or a symbol or whatever why not someone at work or in your building? 

Edited by darkmoonlady
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, susieice said:

I put this here because this is bizarre. I only regret that you can't read the comments. People just cracking up laughing. My particular favorite was written by a man named Bill. He's offended by the word "hole" and wants it renamed a "circular subterranean access hatch". I agree with John. That comment deserves a beer. This has gone from stupid to nonsense.

https://6abc.com/5403786/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5d30f31a0ca7240001cbadec&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2CRyXmGNT8knny8KIX74vb_5N8SucAeGXKyFPLLJy2NY99rnrdvexk-o4

Does the city of Berkeley have jars setup around the city where people who forget to use the new terms must pay a fine if caught? I personally think these people are wasting the tax payers money, hopefully they will be voted out in the cities next election. 

However, it really isn't nonsense though, it is however frightening. This is only the beginning who knows what will be next. This is just another form of control, while it seems insignificant if it works it will be followed by something else. Its kinda like an experiment to see how far they can go before the sheepal realise that it's to late and they have forfeited more of there rights.

i don't know this for fact, but similar things could be happening nation wide.

JIMO

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, OverSword said:

I think this is similar to when they tried to make Ubonics a legal language that should be taught in school.

• Like 1