Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tardigrade with belly full of strange glitter

Still Waters

When you put a tardigrade under a microscope, you never know what you're going to get. These weird-looking 'water bears' are some of the strangest creatures on the planet, and they are constantly surprising us. Even once you see them with your own eyes, it can be hard to figure out what the heck is going on.

Biologist Rafael Martín-Ledo has been studying marine microfauna such as tardigrades for years, and recently, on a mossy bank of the Saja river in northern Spain, he collected one that looks even stranger than the rest.

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-tardigrade-with-a-belly-full-of-glitter-may-have-swallowed-its-own-mouth

• Like 4

Tardigrades are so odd.  They may well be the oddest creatures on the planet, and we take some beating for that title.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tardigrades are really cool looking critters.

They look like they'd have bones but they don't (at least I think they don't) and their limbs and "claws" move like that of a mammal/reptile too. As for the shiny stuff..I was going to suggest that maybe their digestive system produces bio-luminescence as a by-product...

Either way they are very resilient and tough creatures. (kinda cute too actually)

I hate it when I swallow my own mouth.