Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Humans aren’t designed to be happy

Still Waters

11 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

"it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of the needle than a rich man to get into heaven" mean you should give all your money to the church so that you would get in to heaven.  It is a manipulation for sure.

Just remember, god needs your money.:lol:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Remember when one of those old televangelists went up into his tower and said god was calling him home unless his followers sent him a million dollars by a certain date?  :lol:  Is that reprobate still alive?

• Haha 1

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

Remember when one of those old televangelists went up into his tower and said god was calling him home unless his followers sent him a million dollars by a certain date?  :lol:  Is that reprobate still alive?

Actually I don't remember that. I do remember that whole Jim and Tammy-Faye ordeal barely.

Just now, XenoFish said:

Actually I don't remember that. I do remember that whole Jim and Tammy-Faye ordeal barely.

Oh, yes, I worked with a guy who worked for him before the drama.  He felt like they were good people but as he worked for them found out some things that concerned him about the finances as he installed computers and software and had to keep everything working.

23 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Another brick in the wall.

52 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Hank Williams, Jr. nailed it years ago in a song called American Dream:

Now there are some preachers on TV,
With a suit and a tie and a vest,
They want you to send your money to the Lord,
But they give you their address,
'Cause all of your donations are completely tax free,
God Bless you all but most of all send your money,

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Babe bambino said:

And i thought i was emo. What is this thread hahahahahaha

You must have a different definition of 'emo' than I do.  :lol:  You don't strike me as anything close to 'emo'.

• Like 1

@XenoFish  I had a friend who espoused this constantly, pessimists are prepared and optimists are constantly dissappointed.  There is a middle ground.  My friend never got along well with anyone and eventually blew hist brains out.  If he had ever taken responsibility for his part in his dissonant interactions he might have figured out how to be ok in an imperfect world, but instead it was everyone else's problem, never his.  So, I can understand what the video is saying but I can't go there.  Yes, you do have to accept that people can be awful, but to prepare yourself for the worst everyday just seems to exacerbate the issue of chronic depression.

19 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

to prepare yourself for the worst everyday just seems to exacerbate the issue of chronic depression.

I survive the year I gave myself to live by looking at the worst case scenario each day. I became more cautious and thoughtful. Took my time with a great many things. Fully acknowledged the possibility of failure. There is something called Defensive Pessimism, I do suggest looking into it for more of a perspective. 

I tell myself each morning, "I will make the most of today, regardless of what happens." 

Just now, XenoFish said:

I survive the year I gave myself to live by looking at the worst case scenario each day. I became more cautious and thoughtful. Took my time with a great many things. Fully acknowledged the possibility of failure. There is something called Defensive Pessimism, I do suggest looking into it for more of a perspective. 

I tell myself each morning, "I will make the most of today, regardless of what happens." 

That is not pessimistic, that is optimistic.  Setting yourself a goal that is not dependent on anyone else.  I am glad you are still around.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

That is not pessimistic, that is optimistic.  Setting yourself a goal that is not dependent on anyone else.  I am glad you are still around.

Its looking at what I don't want, acknowledging it, preparing or changing it while fully aware of the possibility of failure. I do, I act, I don't expect, because the results will speak for itself. I can't think to myself "oh, everything will be fine." that to me is a terrible thought. It sickens me when people tell me to "just be happy." to pretend everything will be just fine. Sorry, I'm not that kind of person. 

"Expect the worst, strive for the best. If for no other reason than, you can." 

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Its looking at what I don't want, acknowledging it, preparing or changing it while fully aware of the possibility of failure. I do, I act, I don't expect, because the results will speak for itself. I can't think to myself "oh, everything will be fine." that to me is a terrible thought. It sickens me when people tell me to "just be happy." to pretend everything will be just fine. Sorry, I'm not that kind of person. 

"Expect the worst, strive for the best. If for no other reason than, you can." 

I don't consider the "everything will be fine" attitude optimistic, it is delusional most of the time.  If someone is trying to overcome a fear in order to function that might be necessary.  I think the "strive for the best" is the balance.  Things happen.  We don't have control over a lot of it, but we always have control over what we think that influences how we feel.  I am not saying we can be happy all the time, the design of being human on planet earth is experiencing the full gamut of emotion.  Staying stuck in one frequency of emotion is detrimental to health and being human, whether it is flat line, extreme bliss or extreme depression.  We not meant to be static emotionally.  We are the driver of our mind so we have to learn jedi tricks to pop out of the extremes.

Just now, Babe bambino said:

Well what personality would you say i have? 

I think you have a bubbly personality, partly because you are young and partly because you are bubbly.

14 hours ago, Babe bambino said:

Im actually an infp but im only bubbly to family and very very close friends. When it comes to strangers and most people im so quiet i blend into the background hehehehe. Even with the family of my best friend im super on guard.

Still, with family you are your true self.  Everyone has a different "face" for strangers and acquaintances (until you get old like me and don't care anymore  :lol:)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Babe bambino said:

Yeah thats very true hun. But then again im a cancer sun, scorpio rising and pisces moon hehehehe. 

Wow, lots of water.  I am an air head Gemini with VIrgo rising (have to have every thing just right) and Sagitarius moon.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Babe bambino said:

Ooooh very interesting i lurrrrrrrve virgo signs not so much sag hehehehe. Im mostly air actually all my other signs are gemini (pops up 5 times in my chart) along side sag and  aquarius.

Im so full of air but im emotional plus it says im mostly masculine in my chart im not entirely sure what that means.

I think "mostly masculine" just means you have big energy, not that you tend to act like a maie, just dominant type energy.  Some people confuse it.  I tend to speak my mind which is supposed to be a "masculine" trait, but I need straight forward communication, when people come at me sideways I tend to step away or get cranky.  Supposedly in our culture, women are expected to manipulate to get what they want instead of just coming out straight.  Some people ascribe to that and some ignore it.  It is a misused stereo type, like "women are gossips" is not true, I have almost always worked with mostly men co-workers and groups of men tend to gossip a lot more than groups of women do, though the one job I had where the co-workers were mostly women, there was a lot of emotional interactions that I did not understand.  Mostly assumptions based on emotional responses to trigger words and lack of communication.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Babe bambino said:

Yes! I understand this completley even though i am emotional there are times when i think gossip is very trivial and i admire logic even though im prone to being very emotional at times. I love being blunt sometimes because thats a big part of who i am. 

Women are expected to manipulate but i think men manipulate more tbh in terms of lying to a woman to get sex or making promises or hiding the truth and reasurring them everything is fine when they have 3 girls on the side hehehe. 

I find this very interesting as men are very logical and women are on the emotional side (we love differently) men tend to love new experiences and the thrill of things. Even if they are married for years its usually to women that can assist them and be on their side but the woman that they REALLY want is unattainable like a sensual type and not motherly.

Wow i got off topic but i do love astrology! I doubt xeno the skeptic believes in it.

Yes, thread drift...  seems to be normal though.  I don't agree that men are typically very logical.  There are a lot of factors, and that is another lie that men are logical and women are emotional.  When I was a kid (ancient times) we would watch re-runs of I Love Lucy and I always thought the joke was that Lucy was the one who was emotional.  Women have to be able to keep things together so they have to be less emotional and more logical.  That is my experience and I don't think my family is much different than anyone else's.  I never knew any family growing up that was like the familys on television and I still see family life and interactions between men and women being misrepresented on television.  The roman disrepect of women still exists and to keep it going a lot of twisted expectations have to be taught.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Babe bambino said:

Wow i got off topic but i do love astrology! I doubt xeno the skeptic believes in it.

As a novelty I don't really care. I don't think anyone should base their life around it at all.

2 minutes ago, Babe bambino said:

To each their own i guess. How are you? Last time i spoke to you, you were a lil cranky hun.

Still a little cranky, but I have two doctors appointments next month The 1st and 7th. Maybe the 7th appointment they'll schedule a disembowelment. After that I should feel better.

3 minutes ago, Babe bambino said:

Disembowelment??? As in remove ur inards???? 

Gallbladder probably. Maybe a length of intestines. Don't know yet. I'm waiting. Maybe I'll know something here soon.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

As a novelty I don't really care. I don't think anyone should base their life around it at all.

True!

As a Taurus, an Earth sign, I need to see and experience things for myself.