Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Humans aren’t designed to be happy

Still Waters

On 7/19/2019 at 11:37 AM, Not Your Huckleberry said:

Humans aren't designed to be happy. What makes humans any different than any other animal in that regard? Humanity's one and only goal is that of everything else on the planet - survival and procreation. Anything beyond that is just meaningless fluff, in the end. 

Do you suppose animals know what "happiness" is?  Happiness is a man-made concept. Don't drink the Kool-Aid.

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Still a little cranky, but I have two doctors appointments next month The 1st and 7th. Maybe the 7th appointment they'll schedule a disembowelment. After that I should feel better.

Will you keep your snipped bits and pieces in a special little box to be reunited with the rest of you some day*? Will that make you happy?  (Just trying to bring this back to on topic.)

*VERY Egyptian

But, in all seriousness, hope all goes well and without bit removal

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ScotDeerie said:

Do you suppose animals know what "happiness" is?  Happiness is a man-made concept. Don't drink the Kool-Aid.

"Happiness" for mammals is a mix of both psychological and brain chemical concepts.

Not "man-made" at all, rather very much in regards to how a mammalian brain actually works.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pallidin said:

"Happiness" for mammals is a mix of both psychological and brain chemical concepts.

Not "man-made" at all, rather very much in regards to how a mammalian brain actually works.

Brain pathology and chemicals create feelings.  Assigning "happiness" to your feelings is a man-made concept.  That's why happiness is not the same for everyone.

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:04 AM, Still Waters said:

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:04 AM, Still Waters said:

Humans aren’t designed to be happy!

but babies are smiling  and happy ever since their born :) 

• Like 1

Happiness is a state of mind.  The normal state of mind is fear based. I'm happy that I have no fear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This subject is perfect to discuss with bottle of strong alcohol... Maybe it would open missing perspective haha

18 hours ago, joc said:

The normal state of mind is fear based.

It's wandering not fear. Basically we are monkey brained until something grabs our attention. Be it a thought/idea or a shiny sharp object. If you're normal state of mind is fear you've probably got anxiety issues.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

It's wandering not fear. Basically we are monkey brained until something grabs our attention. Be it a thought/idea or a shiny sharp object. If you're normal state of mind is fear you've probably got anxiety issues.

I disagree.  Humans are afraid from the moment they have to leave their mommies for pre-school.

Just now, joc said:

I disagree.  Humans are afraid from the moment they have to leave their mommies for pre-school.

Strange. I'm rarely afraid. Having a moment of fear doesn't mean always afraid. Having a moment of joy doesn't mean perpetual happiness. the RNG in our brains is going 24/7. I can't imagine living in constant fear. Uncertainty, yeah I can get that, not fear though. Now if you said the default was uncertainty I could agree with that. 

• Like 2

Just now, XenoFish said:

Strange. I'm rarely afraid. Having a moment of fear doesn't mean always afraid. Having a moment of joy doesn't mean perpetual happiness. the RNG in our brains is going 24/7. I can't imagine living in constant fear. Uncertainty, yeah I can get that, not fear though. Now if you said the default was uncertainty I could agree with that. 

I think the default is uncertainty! And I uncertainty causes a certain amount of fear. Plus there's a multi-billion-dollar industry feeding the Fear Factor.

1 minute ago, joc said:

I think the default is uncertainty! And I uncertainty causes a certain amount of fear. Plus there's a multi-billion-dollar industry feeding the Fear Factor.

I'd say uncertainty creates anxiety which can lead to fear and worry, worry can also lead to fear and fear leads to the dark side.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, joc said:

Happiness is a state of mind.  The normal state of mind is fear based. I'm happy that I have no fear.

The normal state of mind for a human being is being emotionless.

We only experience a positive, or negative emotion, when we think about or experience something. If your default state is fear then you have an obsessive thinking problem going on.

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

I'd say uncertainty creates anxiety which can lead to fear and worry, worry can also lead to fear and fear leads to the dark side.

Its not uncertainty that creates anxiety, its your need to end the uncertainty.

You know you dont need to try and fix all your problems in life. Try just letting uncertainty exist.

4 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

The normal state of mind for a human being is being emotionless.

We only experience a positive, or negative emotion, when we think about or experience something. If your default state is fear then you have an obsessive thinking problem going on.

Really?  I have never met an emotionless person.

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I think the majority of humans have fear issues.  That's my point.  Fear is a default...not absence of fear.  

• Like 1

The only fear is dying like 200 ,000 years ago when homo sapiens first began. They said people came together  when defending  them selves and started laughing together  to over come the fear. 

1 minute ago, docyabut2 said:

The only fear is dying like 200 ,000 years ago when homo sapiens first began. They said people came together  when defending  them selves and started laughing together  to over come the fear. 

People fear death even now. Which is why religion is still a thing. They are afraid of non-existence. 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, joc said:

Really?  I have never met an emotionless person.

I`m not saying that normal people lack emotions.

What I meant is that people dont spend most of their days experiencing an emotional response. If someone does spend most of their days experiencing emotions like fear, anxiety, stress, etc, then they have a problem going on.

Unless you are in a war zone then most of the day should be spent with the amygdala area of the brain turned off. If it is constantly active it suggests damage to the limbic system as the result of obsessive thinking patterns and emotional trauma.

15 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

People fear death even now. Which is why religion is still a thing. They are afraid of non-existence. 

right but most are trying to find evidence of a life after death,  the fear of death :( like me a belief in life after  death   !

Edited by docyabut2

• 4 weeks later...

It may be true, that the magician has in one hand, happiness as the worm on a hook, whilst the other hand throws anxiety fueling wakes in the water. And the simple go for the bait, indeed, as that is what they want, happiness.

But the reason they never achieve this, is because they are going the wrong way about achieving this. They were lied to, told that material was happiness. They were lied to, there is a better way to find her.

From childhood, from very birth, all a child knows is happiness. This is brainwashed out of us by our surrounding peers. I would know, I was a child.

Edited by VastLand
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

In some occasions people only invoke the suffering over themselves by taking the wrong discisions. As is already said. I daily see people being unhappy about their lives. I think its not a thing everyone has in his own hands. And thats the most terrible fact about it why we suffer almost because we have to. I try to keep a handfull of people at hearth. Helping them utmost. Because they reward my loyalty. And that makes me happy. So i think i could say for certain that im happy. With my wife, dog and books and a few good people. Its makes it worth untill the next life. We'll see then.

• Like 1