Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Humans aren’t designed to be happy

242 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

and then

Looking back over my life I think the happiest times I can remember as an adult were times when I was doing something that was fulfilling.  Reaching goals, accomplishing tasks that mattered.  When I was a teen and even in my early 20s I would be as satisfied with sincere praise from a boss as I would getting more pay.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookie Monster

I have been watching some of Dr Petersons videos on YouTube about lobster social dominance hierarchies. His research says it applies to all invertebrates including humans. So here we go....

Serotonin is the neurotransmitter which regulates our emotions relative to our position in a social hierarchy. The lower down someone is then the lower their serotonin levels. That means the lower down in the hierarchy we go the more stress, anxiety, depression, anger, rage, aggression, resentment, and anti-social behaviour we find. All of those negative emotions and behaviours are our biological way of forcing us to set out for fields anew (leave the tribe and start a new one) or fight to establish our dominance over others raising our standing in the hierarchy.

People higher up in the pecking order have high serotonin reducing negative emotions and increasing pro-social behaviours.

I noticed this the other day at work. If I am bossed about or dominated then my serotonin levels take a large hit making me angry, stressed, and anxious. But if I then dominated the person responsible, or just want around dominating people for the fun of it, I felt absolutely great. 

The research of Dr Peterson identified people pushed downwards in a social dominance hierarchy as having the most dramatic serotonin reducing levels in human beings. So let me ask those here who struggle with negative emotions and behavioural traits. Is it actually that you are stuck at the bottom of the pack or held back by others? Maybe its time you learned to pro-actively go on the offensive dominating people.

Edited by RabidMongoose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
10 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Maybe its time you learned to pro-actively go on the offensive dominating people.

So become the jerk at work because you're unhappy. Yeah, totally makes sense.What better way to feel good about yourself than being a totally jerk.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookie Monster
22 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

So become the jerk at work because you're unhappy. Yeah, totally makes sense.What better way to feel good about yourself than being a totally jerk.

I`m not unhappy, what you on about?

You know, something I have often noticed about you (and I dont mean it offensively) is you are straight jacked into idealism. You are utterly dogmatic and lack all ability to question the status quo and group think. You are a deeply repressed individual. Let it out, let it go, stop living by other peoples values and be your true self. Do as thou wilt!

If you like power dont wait for people to somehow recognise you as deserving it and then give it to you. Take it! Dominate and control those around you. If you want wealth dont wait for your employer to see you as deserving a nice big pay packet every week. Take the steps the make yourself rich instead. Start your own business!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
3 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I`m not unhappy, what you on about?

You know, something I have often noticed about you (and I dont mean it offensively) is you are straight jacked into idealism. You are utterly dogmatic and lack all ability to question the status quo and group think. You are a deeply repressed individual. Let it out, let it go, stop living by other peoples values and be your true self. Do as thou wilt!

If you like power dont wait for people to somehow recognise you as deserving it and then give it to you. Take it! Dominate and control those around you. If you want wealth dont wait for your employer to see you as deserving a nice big pay packet every week. Take the steps the make yourself rich instead. Start your own business!

You don't know me at all. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookie Monster
4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You don't know me at all. 

I have posted with you for a couple of years, I know you very well.

You are a slave to your ideas and values. Ideas and values society gave you. Free yourself. Be what you really are.

A mean nasty dominating control machine just like me lol.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
2 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I have posted with you for a couple of years, I know you very well.

You are a slave to your ideas and values. Ideas and values society gave you. Free yourself. Be what you really are.

A mean nasty dominating control machine just like me lol.

Good thing I'm nothing like you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookie Monster
4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Good thing I'm nothing like you. 

Repressed instead of enjoying your life as God intended lol

Edited by RabidMongoose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brian100
On 7/19/2019 at 8:04 AM, Still Waters said:

 

 

On 7/19/2019 at 8:37 AM, Not Your Huckleberry said:

Humans aren't designed to be happy. What makes humans any different than any other animal in that regard? Humanity's one and only goal is that of everything else on the planet - survival and procreation. Anything beyond that is just meaningless fluff, in the end. 

 

Well as you get older and older its impossible to be happy once you've glimpsed your older self.   Getting old is like half way to hell.

Sign me up for forever 13.. and hold the cheese.

Edited by brian100
add more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brian100

Happiness could be dependent on who your friends are. Like being Tom Brady?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
6 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Repressed instead of enjoying your life as God intended lol

So God intended everyone to dominate each other? :unsure2:

Hmm, funny god.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rlyeh
On 9/21/2019 at 11:23 AM, RabidMongoose said:

I have been watching some of Dr Petersons videos on YouTube about lobster social dominance hierarchies. His research says it applies to all invertebrates including humans. So here we go....

Invertebrates don't include humans...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
16 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

So God intended everyone to dominate each other? :unsure2:

Hmm, funny god.

His is a god of hedonism. Pretty much indulge yourself for 'god-sake'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookie Monster
1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

His is a god of hedonism. Pretty much indulge yourself for 'god-sake'.

Our society tells us enjoying pleasure is wrong, enjoying material objects is wrong, being selfish and self-centred is wrong, dominating others is wrong, etc.

Society does not dictate a universal morality, God does. So let me ask, do you really believe God wants us to deny ourselves pleasure? Or are you bright enough to see that way of thinking is imposed onto you so that they can make themselves feel better over their lack of things?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
1 minute ago, RabidMongoose said:

Our society tells us enjoying pleasure is wrong, enjoying material objects is wrong, being selfish and self-centred is wrong, dominating others is wrong, etc.

Society does not dictate a universal morality, God does. So let me ask, do you really believe God wants us to deny ourselves pleasure? Or are you bright enough to see that way of thinking is imposed onto you so that they can make themselves feel better over their lack of things?

To live life for the sake of pleasure is to be enslaved by it. All things in fine measure. To constantly seek pleasure is no different than being a drug addict. Discipline is freedom. I also don't believe in any god/s/ess's either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookie Monster
4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

To live life for the sake of pleasure is to be enslaved by it. All things in fine measure. To constantly seek pleasure is no different than being a drug addict. Discipline is freedom. I also don't believe in any god/s/ess's either. 

God created you to receive pleasure from him.

By denying yourself pleasure then you have disconnected yourself from God.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
1 minute ago, RabidMongoose said:

God created you to receive pleasure from him.

By denying yourself pleasure then you have disconnected yourself from God.

God doesn't exist. So I neither gain nor lose anything. Accepting the god-idea would be lying to myself and a poor excuse to be a self-indulging jerk to everyone. No different than narcissistic self-glorification.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
58 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Our society tells us enjoying pleasure is wrong, enjoying material objects is wrong, being selfish and self-centred is wrong, dominating others is wrong, etc.

Society does not dictate a universal morality, God does. So let me ask, do you really believe God wants us to deny ourselves pleasure? Or are you bright enough to see that way of thinking is imposed onto you so that they can make themselves feel better over their lack of things?

I'm more stuck on this dominating thing.

So in essence, you believe that there is a God and that he wants you to expierence pleasure, even when it's at the expense of the pleasure of others?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookie Monster
48 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

God doesn't exist. So I neither gain nor lose anything. Accepting the god-idea would be lying to myself and a poor excuse to be a self-indulging jerk to everyone. No different than narcissistic self-glorification.

I wholly refuse your assertion that self-indulgence is immoral.

Why should we live as Spartans in a world of aplenty? Lets enjoy ourselves as much as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookie Monster
1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

I'm more stuck on this dominating thing.

So in essence, you believe that there is a God and that he wants you to experience pleasure, even when it's at the expense of the pleasure of others?

God wants me to dominate others, and to enjoy that pleasure.

Society tells me dominating others is wrong because it makes them feel angry, and stressed, and that makes them resentful towards me. As its not illegal to dominate others, I put God before society.

And God rewards me by frequently giving me the promotions and positions of responsibility instead of them.

Whats that about you might ask? Reality is wired up backwards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
13 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I wholly refuse your assertion that self-indulgence is immoral.

Why should we live as Spartans in a world of aplenty? Lets enjoy ourselves as much as possible.

I don't care if you think my opinion is flawed. How long do you think you'll be able to keep chugging down 3 monster energy drinks and 2 latte's before the negative effects start kicking in? I find discipline to be the greatest freedom in life. 

5 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

God wants me to dominate others, and to enjoy that pleasure.

Society tells me dominating others is wrong because it makes them feel angry, and stressed, and that makes them resentful towards me. As its not illegal to dominate others, I put God before society.

And God rewards me by frequently giving me the promotions and positions of responsibility instead of them.

Whats that about you might ask? Reality is wired up backwards. 

Now you know why you're hated at work and no one likes you. It's a power trip to you. So all you're doing is using god to justify your ego driven desires. You are weak. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookie Monster
34 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I don't care if you think my opinion is flawed. How long do you think you'll be able to keep chugging down 3 monster energy drinks and 2 latte's before the negative effects start kicking in? I find discipline to be the greatest freedom in life. 

Now you know why you're hated at work and no one likes you. It's a power trip to you. So all you're doing is using god to justify your ego driven desires. You are weak. 

Why does me saying your opinion is flawed provoke an emotional response?

You have something to integrate from your shadow there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
48 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

God wants me to dominate others, and to enjoy that pleasure.

Society tells me dominating others is wrong because it makes them feel angry, and stressed, and that makes them resentful towards me. As its not illegal to dominate others, I put God before society.

And God rewards me by frequently giving me the promotions and positions of responsibility instead of them.

Whats that about you might ask? Reality is wired up backwards. 

Does God not want those you are dominating to be happy?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
6 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

You have something to integrate from your shadow there. Like your desire to be a complete sociopath? 

 

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

Does God not want those you are dominating to be happy?

Do you mean 'those being dominated?'

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cookie Monster
5 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Does God not want those you are dominating to be happy?

Reality is relative to each person, not objective and existing independently from us.

God wants (in each persons instance of reality) for them to dominate others, and to enjoy doing so. At the level of the individual your purpose is simply to enjoy all pleasures that God provides.

Edited by RabidMongoose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.