Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Humans aren’t designed to be happy

252 posts in this topic

RabidMongoose
1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

I'd say uncertainty creates anxiety which can lead to fear and worry, worry can also lead to fear and fear leads to the dark side.

Its not uncertainty that creates anxiety, its your need to end the uncertainty.

You know you dont need to try and fix all your problems in life. Try just letting uncertainty exist.

joc
4 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

The normal state of mind for a human being is being emotionless.

We only experience a positive, or negative emotion, when we think about or experience something. If your default state is fear then you have an obsessive thinking problem going on.

Really?  I have never met an emotionless person.

joc
6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I'd say uncertainty creates anxiety which can lead to fear and worry, worry can also lead to fear and fear leads to the dark side.

I think the majority of humans have fear issues.  That's my point.  Fear is a default...not absence of fear.  

• Like 1

docyabut2

The only fear is dying like 200 ,000 years ago when homo sapiens first began. They said people came together  when defending  them selves and started laughing together  to over come the fear. 

XenoFish
1 minute ago, docyabut2 said:

The only fear is dying like 200 ,000 years ago when homo sapiens first began. They said people came together  when defending  them selves and started laughing together  to over come the fear. 

People fear death even now. Which is why religion is still a thing. They are afraid of non-existence. 

• Thanks 2

RabidMongoose
6 hours ago, joc said:

Really?  I have never met an emotionless person.

I`m not saying that normal people lack emotions.

What I meant is that people dont spend most of their days experiencing an emotional response. If someone does spend most of their days experiencing emotions like fear, anxiety, stress, etc, then they have a problem going on.

Unless you are in a war zone then most of the day should be spent with the amygdala area of the brain turned off. If it is constantly active it suggests damage to the limbic system as the result of obsessive thinking patterns and emotional trauma.

docyabut2
15 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

People fear death even now. Which is why religion is still a thing. They are afraid of non-existence. 

right but most are trying to find evidence of a life after death,  the fear of death :( like me a belief in life after  death   !

Edited by docyabut2

VastLand

It may be true, that the magician has in one hand, happiness as the worm on a hook, whilst the other hand throws anxiety fueling wakes in the water. And the simple go for the bait, indeed, as that is what they want, happiness.

But the reason they never achieve this, is because they are going the wrong way about achieving this. They were lied to, told that material was happiness. They were lied to, there is a better way to find her.

From childhood, from very birth, all a child knows is happiness. This is brainwashed out of us by our surrounding peers. I would know, I was a child.

Edited by VastLand
  • Like 2

Marquis Joseph Kosalsky

In some occasions people only invoke the suffering over themselves by taking the wrong discisions. As is already said. I daily see people being unhappy about their lives. I think its not a thing everyone has in his own hands. And thats the most terrible fact about it why we suffer almost because we have to. I try to keep a handfull of people at hearth. Helping them utmost. Because they reward my loyalty. And that makes me happy. So i think i could say for certain that im happy. With my wife, dog and books and a few good people. Its makes it worth untill the next life. We'll see then.

• Like 1

XenoFish

• Like 1

and then

Looking back over my life I think the happiest times I can remember as an adult were times when I was doing something that was fulfilling.  Reaching goals, accomplishing tasks that mattered.  When I was a teen and even in my early 20s I would be as satisfied with sincere praise from a boss as I would getting more pay.

• Like 2

RabidMongoose

I have been watching some of Dr Petersons videos on YouTube about lobster social dominance hierarchies. His research says it applies to all invertebrates including humans. So here we go....

Serotonin is the neurotransmitter which regulates our emotions relative to our position in a social hierarchy. The lower down someone is then the lower their serotonin levels. That means the lower down in the hierarchy we go the more stress, anxiety, depression, anger, rage, aggression, resentment, and anti-social behaviour we find. All of those negative emotions and behaviours are our biological way of forcing us to set out for fields anew (leave the tribe and start a new one) or fight to establish our dominance over others raising our standing in the hierarchy.

People higher up in the pecking order have high serotonin reducing negative emotions and increasing pro-social behaviours.

I noticed this the other day at work. If I am bossed about or dominated then my serotonin levels take a large hit making me angry, stressed, and anxious. But if I then dominated the person responsible, or just want around dominating people for the fun of it, I felt absolutely great. 

The research of Dr Peterson identified people pushed downwards in a social dominance hierarchy as having the most dramatic serotonin reducing levels in human beings. So let me ask those here who struggle with negative emotions and behavioural traits. Is it actually that you are stuck at the bottom of the pack or held back by others? Maybe its time you learned to pro-actively go on the offensive dominating people.

Edited by RabidMongoose

XenoFish
10 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Maybe its time you learned to pro-actively go on the offensive dominating people.

So become the jerk at work because you're unhappy. Yeah, totally makes sense.What better way to feel good about yourself than being a totally jerk.

• Like 1

RabidMongoose
22 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

So become the jerk at work because you're unhappy. Yeah, totally makes sense.What better way to feel good about yourself than being a totally jerk.

I`m not unhappy, what you on about?

You know, something I have often noticed about you (and I dont mean it offensively) is you are straight jacked into idealism. You are utterly dogmatic and lack all ability to question the status quo and group think. You are a deeply repressed individual. Let it out, let it go, stop living by other peoples values and be your true self. Do as thou wilt!

If you like power dont wait for people to somehow recognise you as deserving it and then give it to you. Take it! Dominate and control those around you. If you want wealth dont wait for your employer to see you as deserving a nice big pay packet every week. Take the steps the make yourself rich instead. Start your own business!

XenoFish
3 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I`m not unhappy, what you on about?

You know, something I have often noticed about you (and I dont mean it offensively) is you are straight jacked into idealism. You are utterly dogmatic and lack all ability to question the status quo and group think. You are a deeply repressed individual. Let it out, let it go, stop living by other peoples values and be your true self. Do as thou wilt!

If you like power dont wait for people to somehow recognise you as deserving it and then give it to you. Take it! Dominate and control those around you. If you want wealth dont wait for your employer to see you as deserving a nice big pay packet every week. Take the steps the make yourself rich instead. Start your own business!

You don't know me at all. 

• Like 1

RabidMongoose
4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You don't know me at all. 

I have posted with you for a couple of years, I know you very well.

You are a slave to your ideas and values. Ideas and values society gave you. Free yourself. Be what you really are.

A mean nasty dominating control machine just like me lol.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Haha 1

XenoFish
2 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I have posted with you for a couple of years, I know you very well.

You are a slave to your ideas and values. Ideas and values society gave you. Free yourself. Be what you really are.

A mean nasty dominating control machine just like me lol.

Good thing I'm nothing like you. 

RabidMongoose
4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Good thing I'm nothing like you. 

Repressed instead of enjoying your life as God intended lol

Edited by RabidMongoose

brian100
On 7/19/2019 at 8:04 AM, Still Waters said:

On 7/19/2019 at 8:37 AM, Not Your Huckleberry said:

Humans aren't designed to be happy. What makes humans any different than any other animal in that regard? Humanity's one and only goal is that of everything else on the planet - survival and procreation. Anything beyond that is just meaningless fluff, in the end. 

Well as you get older and older its impossible to be happy once you've glimpsed your older self.   Getting old is like half way to hell.

Sign me up for forever 13.. and hold the cheese.

Edited by brian100
add more

brian100

Happiness could be dependent on who your friends are. Like being Tom Brady?

spartan max2
6 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Repressed instead of enjoying your life as God intended lol

So God intended everyone to dominate each other? :unsure2:

Hmm, funny god.

Rlyeh
On 9/21/2019 at 11:23 AM, RabidMongoose said:

I have been watching some of Dr Petersons videos on YouTube about lobster social dominance hierarchies. His research says it applies to all invertebrates including humans. So here we go....

Invertebrates don't include humans...

XenoFish
16 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

So God intended everyone to dominate each other? :unsure2:

Hmm, funny god.

His is a god of hedonism. Pretty much indulge yourself for 'god-sake'.

RabidMongoose
1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

His is a god of hedonism. Pretty much indulge yourself for 'god-sake'.

Our society tells us enjoying pleasure is wrong, enjoying material objects is wrong, being selfish and self-centred is wrong, dominating others is wrong, etc.

Society does not dictate a universal morality, God does. So let me ask, do you really believe God wants us to deny ourselves pleasure? Or are you bright enough to see that way of thinking is imposed onto you so that they can make themselves feel better over their lack of things?

XenoFish
1 minute ago, RabidMongoose said:

Our society tells us enjoying pleasure is wrong, enjoying material objects is wrong, being selfish and self-centred is wrong, dominating others is wrong, etc.

Society does not dictate a universal morality, God does. So let me ask, do you really believe God wants us to deny ourselves pleasure? Or are you bright enough to see that way of thinking is imposed onto you so that they can make themselves feel better over their lack of things?

To live life for the sake of pleasure is to be enslaved by it. All things in fine measure. To constantly seek pleasure is no different than being a drug addict. Discipline is freedom. I also don't believe in any god/s/ess's either.