Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Apollo 50: Go For The Moon

susieice

Just watched this live from Washington DC. The Smithsonian and NASA put this together and projected it on the Washington Monument as people gathered to commemorated the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11. Thank goodness for YouTube. It's a 17 minute show about the whole mission. This is totally awesome. It will be shown several times on the monument tonight and also tomorrow night. Put it on full screen and...Enjoy!

Edited by susieice
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

There was a reunion of the surviving Apollo astronauts for the 50th anniversary. You gotta love Buzz Aldrin! Apollo 11 was the first landing and the landings went through Apollo 17. Apollo 13 was the only failure as anyone that's seen the movie knows.

https://www.businessinsider.com/apollo-astronauts-50th-moon-landing-anniversary-photos-2019-4?fbclid=IwAR2fJZW6w4zYd06KGFXQl_evRj2XOmuER-5eDu7BOtFhwAD-jAMcBgdwtpU

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This is Harrison Schmitt from Apollo 17. This was the last lunar landing flight.

1024px-Moon-apollo17-schmitt_boulder.jpg

This is Charlie Duke from Apollo 16.

Image result for charlie duke

There is one more still living who wasn't there and in the picture.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm halfway through reading this and I had absolutely no idea they had these problems with their gear on the moon!  

Luckily, the astronauts were able to jerry-rig a solution to the problem. Aldrin used a pen to push the button in, and the two were able to leave the moon.

It would've been so scary!  You just don't realise how dangerous it is/was for these people to go off into space....not knowing if they were going to make it back.  If some alien was going to be there :o If creatures were on the moon :o  You know what I mean!  

I thought Buzz's socks were VERY flambuoyant INDEED! :lol: 

"If they couldn't get off, they were dead men, and I was getting home by myself," Collins added

Very scary! :( 

• Like 3

It is scary but thankfully Armstrong and Aldrin were resourceful. Apollo 13 had to abort because of damage to the spacecraft and they almost didn't make it back. 

Gus Grissom, Roger Chaffee and Ed White died when the Apollo 1 Command Module caught fire and burned at Cape Kennedy during a pre-launch training and they were trapped inside. Because of complications from the fire Apollo 2 and 3 would not be named. Apollo 4, 5 and 6 would be unmanned. Apollo 7 would be the first one carrying astronauts. They tested equipment in Earth orbit. Apollo 8 would be the first to orbit the moon. Waspie would know a lot more about this. Then there were the two space shuttle disasters. It wasn't an easy road.

Edited by susieice
  • Thanks 2

If only it was a campaign to relaunch a program to establish a permanent presence on the Moon as a launching pad for manned exploration of the Solar System.

• Like 4

Just now, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

If only it was a campaign to relaunch a program to establish a permanent presence on the Moon as a launching pad for manned exploration of the Solar System.

Project Artemis is on the books now. It's goal is to return to the moon and then on to Mars. I kind of think that's why there were space shuttles and space stations after Apollo 17. They answered a lot of questions. Can a space craft be reused. Can they dock and supply a space station. How long can a human stay in space and what are the physical effects on the body. Things like that to see how long term space flight would go. Waspie could answer this better than I. This is just my opinion but Artemis is in development.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

I re-quoted you to post this. It's an answer to your question. Wondering what the Space Force may be?

https://www.businessinsider.com/moon-missions-why-astronauts-have-not-returned-2018-7

• Like 2

Apollo and everything about it is fascinating. One has to admire the effort and ability of the people involved around the project.

• Like 6

NASA is streaming the tapes of the lunar landing on Facebook in real time. This will take about 21 hours if I saw correctly. It may show up on YouTube in some form. The NASA channel is also showing a lot of footage from Apollo 11.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I watched the first one live, sitting on the floor of my parent' living room, being not quite old enough to really get my head around what I was watching. It seemed commonplace back then to believe that this was just the beginning of the human journey to colonizing other planets and creating a technological utopia here on earth. Science and technology were the solution to all the problems mankind had faced over the previous millennia. It was an amazing, magical time to grow up in. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 10:33 PM, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

If that were true, it would the program launching it I presume NASA would need to have some way of creating a reusable space craft.(not counting musk's it's not finished).

Edited by Piney's_Little_Ninja
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1