Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

House vibrates

UM-Bot

By: Saddlebum | Location: Northern part of lower Michigan

Lived here for 28 years and have always experienced a slight vibration in my bed when sleeping. House is located on a hill side, walk-out basement, heavily wooded, on dirt road approx. 1/8th mile from a county paved road, 6,000 acres of state land behind and hay field across dirt road with a hay field on the W. side of property, recently built house on E. side of property. 

More: https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/stories/112260/house-vibrates

Any proof such as video to the claim? Does anyone else experiences this? Have they been to an expert to investigate this?

So much things they can do before posting on here!

A few months back I laid down to rest for the evening and felt a vibration.  I got up several times trying to find the source of the vibration.  Nothing was going on outside... no unusual neighborhood activity.   I stayed up another hour or so with no vibrations noticed.  When i finally laid back down i noticed the vibrations again and got out of bed, felt the bed itself for the vibrations and came up with nothing.  After this back and forth for a couple of hours I eventually found that my legs were making the vibrations and not the bed or anything exterior.  My legs were trembling ever so slightly.  It was one of the strangest thing that I have experienced and completely fooled my perceptions. 

• Thanks 2

Here is a link to a property in Michigan that is vibrating.  Is it the same one? LINK

As to what is causing it, the first thing that is necessary is to show proof that it is happening.  Firstly, get someone in who can prove that there is a vibration. They may well be able to determine what is causing it too. If a local tradesman can't crack the puzzle, consider asking a University Engineering dept (they often enjoy the puzzle). My bet, off the cuff and entirely based on stats, is that you have air in your plumbing somewhere.  Normally this only causes a problem when water is running, but pressure in water pipes can cause some bizarre effects including infrasound LINK, which has been linked to so-called "sick building syndrome" LINK.  There are plenty of other things that may cause your house to vibrate tho.  Wind, sitting on freeway bedrock, sinkhole development, nearby mining or drilling (including by the mole men of Agharta), or even (seriously hopefully not) early onset Parkinsons.

I lived in a rural mountain area and sometimes large trucks would go down the dirt road past my house, and they made the house vibrate.  One day I felt and heard what I thought was a large truck but louder with more vibration.  There was no truck.  It was 3.6 earthquake.   

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2019 at 8:49 PM, Cephalopox said:

[..] I eventually found that my legs were making the vibrations and not the bed or anything exterior.  My legs were trembling ever so slightly.  It was one of the strangest thing that I have experienced and completely fooled my perceptions. 

Yep. Had the same thing happen to me. I could feel it but couldn't SEE the trembling. But since it went from a chair to the bed with me, I figured it out pretty quickly. Only by putting my hands on different parts of my body was I able to detect it. 

And if it *isn't* that, perhaps the hillside the house it on is experiencing slippage. This would be BAD. These things can often be seen in the trunks of trees (see photo for the distortion in the trunks) that adjust for the slip over time. I imagine a good geologist might be of help.  Related image

Edited by ScotDeerie
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 1:54 PM, Desertrat56 said:

I lived in a rural mountain area and sometimes large trucks would go down the dirt road past my house, and they made the house vibrate.  One day I felt and heard what I thought was a large truck but louder with more vibration.  There was no truck.  It was 3.6 earthquake.   

We had an earthquake after a salt mine collapse. https://www.washingtonpost.com/

Vibrations in houses are so common that people just asssume they are due to "settling". A house can make noises for centuries without settling enough to measure. 

I once lived in a house that neighbors said was haunted. Well, yes, sort of. Every afternoon about an hour before sundown I would hear the sound of big feet running past the kitchen window. I thought that was awfully unspooky!

On 7/20/2019 at 11:21 PM, UM-Bot said:

By: Saddlebum | Location: Northern part of lower Michigan

More: https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/stories/112260/house-vibrates

It could simply be the ground that the house sits on, it was said the house is at the base of hill. It could also weak floor supports, this can cause a lot of vibration in certain areas. 

My bed did this when I lived in King City CA as a kid. Scared the crap out of me til I realized it was the trains going through town. 

• Like 1