Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sizing Up the Tombstone Thunderbird

Carnoferox

isnt that the basis of that picture people thought they saw but that never existed?

back then newspapers made up stories to help sales, the sky monster, jacko a couple i like, and that one of a alien craft taking out a farmers windmill and buried in town cemetery,

hum, is this an old version of "fake news"?

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, the13bats said:

isnt that the basis of that picture people thought they saw but that never existed?

back then newspapers made up stories to help sales, the sky monster, jacko a couple i like, and that one of a alien craft taking out a farmers windmill and buried in town cemetery,

hum, is this an old version of "fake news"?

The Tombstone Epitaph article is often claimed to be the source of the elusive thunderbird photo, but it doesn't contain any photographs. How this got mixed up is beyond me.

• Like 6

Thanks @Carnoferox. Nice work. Tell me, thou. Did people know about fossilised Pterosaurs and thunderbirds in the 1800's?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Thanks @Carnoferox. Nice work. Tell me, thou. Did people know about fossilised Pterosaurs and thunderbirds in the 1800's?

Pterosaurs were already well-known by 1890, with the first genus Pterodactylus having been named and described in 1809.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

So who had the photo if these people didn't?  

12 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

No one, because it almost certainly never existed in the first place.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

there was a story of a pic people really thought they saw that never was,

https://themothman.fandom.com/wiki/The_Missing_Thunderbird_Photo

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So none of those pics was ever published anywhere? Yet they are online now? 

Strange, all of this. But, it Is evidence that fake news has been around almost since the first press :D 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

So none of those pics was ever published anywhere? Yet they are online now? 

Strange, all of this. But, it Is evidence that fake news has been around almost since the first press :D 

i believe the pics we see now are after the fact not what was alleged to be in the paper,

i spent hours one night on a sight that was debunking all kinds of antique weird pics by tracking down the real pic before it met photoshop

• Like 2

oh, and i thought i saw the old bird pic that never was too..the mind is weird.

i also recall a scene in jaws vividly that im 99.9% sure never happened, not an outtake but just my imagination, the thing that makes it way weird in looking for the facts i wasnt the only one who recalls the scene in jaws that didnt happen, if theirs interest ill make a thread...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, the13bats said:

there was a story of a pic people really thought they saw that never was,

https://themothman.fandom.com/wiki/The_Missing_Thunderbird_Photo

That's a good link!  here's what I found interesting or peculiar:

"Ritchie Benedict, who recalled seeing Ivan T. Sanderson himself display a copy of the photo on a Canadian television show "The Pierre Benton Show". Unfortunately though, no copies of the show have ever been found."

"In the late 90's, Mothman Prophecies author John Keel insisted that "I know I saw it! And not only that - I compared notes with a lot of other people who saw it."

Yet no one can find it!! Amazing how many people swear they saw it and yet, nothing. I like the pics, too. Maybe the fakes are what people remember.

Moth604.PNG

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, the13bats said:

i also recall a scene in jaws vividly that im 99.9% sure never happened, not an outtake but just my imagination, the thing that makes it way weird in looking for the facts i wasnt the only one who recalls the scene in jaws that didnt happen, if theirs interest ill make a thread...

Tell us what the scene was,, I saw Jaws, maybe I can recall something

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Tell us what the scene was,, I saw Jaws, maybe I can recall something

it will be fun but i will get long winded ill shower and start a new thread, a nice divergent from aliens and bigfoot.

• Thanks 3

On 7/21/2019 at 2:17 AM, the13bats said:

I believe that's called the Mandela effect(affect?) When you remember something that happened (or didn't happen at all) and you swear you're right and not crazy, but in reality you are not correct. One example is the correct spelling of the Bernstein bears. Anyhooo...what is the scene from jaws you mentioned? It's one of my favourites and I've seen it many times. Also I remember footage from jaws 2 where it's different between the theatrical version and the edited forv tv version. It's not footage edited out, but a bit of extra footage added in in the tv version. 

D59vowkWsAAEVSs.jpeg

3 hours ago, Mattacaster said:

I believe that's called the Mandela effect(affect?) When you remember something that happened (or didn't happen at all) and you swear you're right and not crazy, but in reality you are not correct. One example is the correct spelling of the Bernstein bears. Anyhooo...what is the scene from jaws you mentioned? It's one of my favourites and I've seen it many times. Also I remember footage from jaws 2 where it's different between the theatrical version and the edited forv tv version. It's not footage edited out, but a bit of extra footage added in in the tv version. 

D59vowkWsAAEVSs.jpeg

well i started a thread about it to not highjack but in my research which i found very intriguing of course we sometimes remember stuff that never was in a film, no queston the mind is like that but i also learned that the ones beating their fists the hardest that a person didnt see something in a film is because they are this big huge fan who has seen every version a million times and they never saw it so it never happened, i have seen those types name things that they claim never happened that a quick check of ones vhs, dvd or youtube clip proves that self appointed expert was wrong themselves,

another thing i noticed is in some cases say 5 people each recall it differently so to me that doesnt mean much in proving it was in the film,  what bugs my OCD about my chrissie autopsy scene is there is an edit Spielberg himself said so, but he was commenting on a question sbout the choppy audio, he said the scene was long and had to be shortened, so what i recall is very much a possibility to have been there, and as pointed out many films get pieces added in various versions which i bet the original director might not know or care less about, look at the cool extra footage in the TV version of the deep, last i looked its only available in that TV version.

but its not that simple, belief isnt enough for me i need to see it, 

2 hours ago, Carnoferox said:

I just found out that a reprint of this article from the San Francisco Examiner in June 1890 contained an illustration of the thunderbird.

1890-tombstone-monster.thumb.jpg.30c4d1ffa8792b34ecbe7e9da74b26bf.jpg

http://anomalyinfo.com/Stories/1890-april-20-tombstone-monster

Yeah... that wouldn't be from an authentic sighting.  It's from what they thought these things looked like back then.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

Yeah... that wouldn't be from an authentic sighting.  It's from what they thought these things looked like back then.

It's funny how a more recent depiction (from a 1992 creationist book) completely changes the size and appearance to more closely match a pterosaur.

image22_v_1468438211.jpg.0e2c371c5389e11d27c686fb9cf0d310.jpg

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 4

On 7/21/2019 at 2:22 AM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Maybe the fakes are what people remember.

im not sure its one answer fits all,

I sanderson, J keel, somehow its more epic when known people recall something over us nobodies,

in my case i feel like i saw "a" large bird pic back in the 70s, that was connected to this threads story the problem is the connection might be where the flaw came in,

ever seen this,

images.jpg.b905074a4b4a6288a9860836494a915b.jpg

theres a less cropped version, its used with a ton of creepypasta and its biggest connection is to the case of Russian sleep deprivation experiments which is likely a made up story but i can assure you the subject in the picture a halloween prop has zero to do with that story, but a lot of people are convinced its a subject from that case.

the other problem with the bird pic that never was is  eeveven like back when i thought i saw it for all i know i saw,

images(41).jpg.035769429cafcf2612d2102a718d66da.jpg

but my mind mixed it all up because at the time i wasnt all that interested in large birds,

i can fully believe that type thing can happen to people like keel and sanderson,

i like keel but the man embellished and out right made up stuff, like his grinning man that somehow morphed into and combined with indrid cold an unrelated case.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, the13bats said:

im not sure its one answer fits all,

I sanderson, J keel, somehow its more epic when known people recall something over us nobodies,

in my case i feel like i saw "a" large bird pic back in the 70s, that was connected to this threads story the problem is the connection might be where the flaw came in,

ever seen this,

images.jpg.b905074a4b4a6288a9860836494a915b.jpg

theres a less cropped version, its used with a ton of creepypasta and its biggest connection is to the case of Russian sleep deprivation experiments which is likely a made up story but i can assure you the subject in the picture a halloween prop has zero to do with that story, but a lot of people are convinced its a subject from that case.

the other problem with the bird pic that never was is  eeveven like back when i thought i saw it for all i know i saw,

images(41).jpg.035769429cafcf2612d2102a718d66da.jpg

but my mind mixed it all up because at the time i wasnt all that interested in large birds,

i can fully believe that type thing can happen to people like keel and sanderson,

i like keel but the man embellished and out right made up stuff, like his grinning man that somehow morphed into and combined with indrid cold an unrelated case.

The bird picture you posted couldn't have been responsible for the initial recollections in the 60's and 70's. It's a photo of paleontologist Ken Campbell standing next to a cutout of Argentavis and it wasn't published until 1980. I've been unable to find anything similar to the typical description of the thunderbird photo that would fit in this time frame, which leads me to think that it was entirely fabricated in the first place. 

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 2

On 21/07/2019 at 8:45 AM, Captain Risky said:

There’s another classic (BS) story from 1856. In France, workmen working a railway-tunnel accidentally released a pterodactyl from its tomb (encased in a rock boulder), only for it to die almost immediately.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Don Caesar said:

There’s another classic (BS) story from 1856. In France, workmen working a railway-tunnel accidentally released a pterodactyl from its tomb (encased in a rock boulder), only for it to die almost immediately.

Living animals found inside rocks was a common theme in newspaper tall tales.

• Like 2