Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
the13bats

Scene that wasnt in Jaws or was it?

the13bats

the thunderbird thread with its connection to a picture people thought they saw that never was fueled this,

several years ago i was watching the deleted scene from jaws on dvd and it bugged me a scene i really thought i saw wasnt there, my OCD went into turbo mode and i spent hours trying to find it and never did only stuff thats makes it odder.

im a big jaws fan and will relay this assuming you know the film fairly well if not whip out your dvd, vhs or maybe youtube.

the scene is when hopper is examining the remains of Chrissie the night swimmer, hopper is giving his speech which btw parts were dubbed, look closely at his lips,

as hes making his point he lifts the arm of chrissie up but thats all they show in every version i could find, if you listen to his forensics description there is more of the victim in the tub, and the arm while well messed up appears still vaugly attached to something in the tub.

but i remember a version where hopper lifts more of the remains, far more traumatic.

in my research i found almost zero to support my memory, and all my info came from fans not the film crew or actors,

i did find a picture with no details of what a chrissie victim prop would have looked like although the head and face wasnt what i recalled, so right when i was ready to call it a dream or false memory i stumble on a web site out of the UK and several people also recall such a scene and were being told no, it never happened, the versions they recall did vary a little so i find this very cool very odd and do have to at this time say it was all in my mind.

i deliberately did not research it before this post and havent in years.

• Like 1

eight bits
Posted (edited)

You might want to check out the known and well-established quirks of long-term memory, for example

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2018/05/the-mandela-effect-at-the-movies/

We often remember "what makes sense to us" about the past rather than what we actually experienced at the time. The pathology scene suggests the presence of a "tub of guts," whether or not the film displays the gore. So, in the theater of your memory, a tub of guts there well may be. Since the same suggestion was made to everybody else who saw the film (= lots of people), it isn't surprising that lots of people remember it the same way, according to the suggestion made to all viewers, but remember it incorrectly.

"Vividness" is not that much help in sorting out true memories from synthesized ones. That bothers people. Meh, it should.

In the interest of full disclosure, films are often cut differently for different markets, including different cuts over time. It is always possible that there is some version of the film that is as you recall. Maybe don't knock yourself out looking for it, though :)

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 1

Sir Wearer of Hats

It's been a while since I read the book, but I do think that the swimmer was a bit more, well, in bits in that. 

acute
Posted (edited)

According to some quick research, it's a deleted section of the scene. The edit is why the dialogue appears messed up.

Edited by acute

the13bats
6 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

It's been a while since I read the book, but I do think that the swimmer was a bit more, well, in bits in that. 

me too but hum, i need to look into that angle the book was very different to the film in some ways...

6 hours ago, acute said:

According to some quick research, it's a deleted section of the scene. The edit is why the dialogue appears messed up.

i read that too at the time i researched it, oerhaps its how theycword it   i didnt see it stated as a deleted scene just a dialog edit, i guess Spielberg didnt like hoppers orginal dialog, didnt reshoot but of course this edit of that scene fact tosses doubt that its just a false memory, thing is when i researched it it did not say what was edited out part did what you read have a smoking gun nothing i found years back said anything about more remains being shown, which i could see being edited for gore, 

remember the scene where mike and his buddies are in the inlet and the fellow in a rowboat is yelling at them to hurry up and get their sail up, the orginal version never made sense to me, but the original scene was deleted because of its impact ( the was 1975 ) most of the footage was lost but a fan out it together with animation its horrible for trama not gore but should have been left i feel,

spoiler,

the shark grabs the guy in the boat mike and his buddies had gotten knocked into the water, as the shark swims with guy in mouth the guy is out of the water from stomach up, scoops up mike carries him a way and pushes him out of danger as the shark goes under with the guy,

i feel they should have left it, it gave more impact to martin going after the shark.

the13bats

my OCD came calling and i went hunting info again,

Spielberg did an interview and explained the morgue scene was running long and the line "so  this is what happens" was added in the cut edit, i thought huh? you add a line to make a scene shorter, then i grasp it, they cut out far more, and ended up with less and a new or shortened line, but the focus fir them is on the audio not video, what i am others believe they saw wasnt long and could have fit in that edited out to shorten part, pure speculative at this point. i recall the line being longer like "so this is what happens when a girl goes swimming"

also in my research i find a lot of slammed doors by ego driven fans, saying things like i saw the film more times than anyone so i know as fact, all that completly proves is that person didnt see the scene someone else thought they remember, their pompous fanboy memory is as failable as the next humans.

"false memory" phenomenon. The same phenomenon that's responsible for people remembering the Biggs scenes, ( starwars ) Hannibal cutting into Ray Liotta's brain and people remembering "To Be Continued..." at the end of the theatrical version of "Back to the Future".

Io recall "to be continued"  and since i dont like that type gore it stuck with me hannibal cutting, cooking and serving ray a piece of his brain, do any of you recall those scenes this expert claims never happened?

how about in ferris buellers day off camron admitting he snuck a peek of sloan undressing by the pool that fan film experts say is not in the film, i recall it too, she says some like shes not embarrassed, well a little embarrassed.

back to jaws, i still believe i share a false memory with other jaws fans, pretty wild how the brain works, the fact the scene was edited shorter is a hole my OCD doesnt like but will just have to deal with at least for now, unless i see the version i recall its just a story :tu:

• Thanks 1