Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Still Waters

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

We all know sharks have had a bit of an undeserved bad rap (thanks Jaws!). But if you're one of those people who find sharks scary, this newly identified species of pocket shark might just change your mind.

First up, it's only about 14 centimetres (5.5 inches) long and has its own pockets tucked in behind its pectoral fins, with glands inside that produce a bioluminescent fluid.

It also has light-producing organs called photophores all over its body – so yep, this tiny shark glows in the dark.

This pocket shark (Mollisquama mississippiensis) was discovered in the central Gulf of Mexico in February 2010. It has just been classified as a new species and is one of only two pocket sharks ever found.

https://www.sciencealert.com/researchers-have-just-identified-a-new-species-of-shark-it-has-pockets-that-glow-in-the-dark

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/21/us/new-shark-species-bioluminescent-trnd/index.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Damn, I wasted my "throw a pokeball at it" comment on that little adorable squid the other day...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Seti42 said:

Damn, I wasted my "throw a pokeball at it" comment on that little adorable squid the other day...

Oh I know right? These new little cuties are so gorgeous. :wub: A little glow-in-the-dark pocket shark, I can see plushy replica toys being made of these species along with the little piglet squid.  It's rather exciting to think scientists are still finding new species of things even today!  So amazing :w00t:  Thanks @Still Watersfor posting these as always! 

• Like 2