Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

4,000-year-old jet necklace unearthed

Still Waters

A 4,000-year-old necklace has been uncovered during an archaeological dig on the Isle of Man.

The piece of jewellery, found in the west of the island, is made up of 122 "intricately" decorated jet beads each measuring between 1cm and 5cm.

Thought to have originated in Whitby, North Yorkshire it is the first of its kind to be found on the Isle of Man.

When fully assembled, the necklace was crescent-shaped and made from multiple strings.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-49052723?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

From the 2 pictures of the individual beads I would have to say this necklace will be beautiful when restored. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Piney said:

@Mellon Man   was involved in this dig and can add more. :tu:

Yes, so if anyone has any questions just ask. 

Several interviews were also given to the BBC North West (TV) and will likely be aired this week. 

I can add another detail, which is somewhat misquoted in the article. In the inhumantion, where the necklace was found, the pelvis was found to be on top of the discussed 'cutting block', which made us scratch our heads and still continue to do so. The body was also placed so the head was facing North.

Of less significant value, but still important finds from the site includes, several seeds, which can tell us about their diet. An arrowhead, charcoal, stone & flint tools, loads of prehistoric pottery and the discussed cremations. One of which could be of a young child, however, we wont know for sure until post-ex has been done. The cairn also consisted of Peel Sandstone, which can only be found 7 miles from this site. 

We also have some evidence, which predate the mound, that might suggest the site was also occupied during the neolithic. 

Edited by Mellon Man
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

15 hours ago, susieice said:

From the 2 pictures of the individual beads I would have to say this necklace will be beautiful when restored. 

I agree! Very beautiful!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mellon Man said:

Yes, so if anyone has any questions just ask. 

Several interviews were also given to the BBC North West (TV) and will likely be aired this week. 

I can add another detail, which is somewhat misquoted in the article. In the inhumantion, where the necklace was found, the pelvis was found to be on top of the discussed 'cutting block', which made us scratch our heads and still continue to do so. The body was also placed so the head was facing North.

Of less significant value, but still important finds from the site includes, several seeds, which can tell us about their diet. An arrowhead, charcoal, stone & flint tools, loads of prehistoric pottery and the discussed cremations. One of which could be of a young child, however, we wont know for sure until post-ex has been done. The cairn also consisted of Peel Sandstone, which can only be found 7 miles from this site. 

We also have some evidence, which predate the mound, that might suggest the site was also occupied during the neolithic. 

Thanks so much for the extra info! Please keep us updated on the developments. 

• Like 4