Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Setton

Boris Johnson to become PM

504 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Setton
Quote

Boris Johnson has been elected new Conservative leader in a ballot of party members and will become the next UK prime minister.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49084605

Once again, we have a PM who has not been chosen by the electorate. Johnson's support represents less than 0.15% of the population, yet he will dictate parliamentary business for the foreseeable future. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
28 minutes ago, Setton said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49084605

Once again, we have a PM who has not been chosen by the electorate. Johnson's support represents less than 0.15% of the population, yet he will dictate parliamentary business for the foreseeable future. 

This will lead directly to Scottish independence. I'm not sure if people down south are aware of just how hated Boris Johnson is up here.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
8 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

This will lead directly to Scottish independence. I'm not sure if people down south are aware of just how hated Boris Johnson is up here.

He's not exactly the 'Prince of Popularity' in Bronte Country either.

The Borders might go full Reiver again. :yes:

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
L.A.T.1961
43 minutes ago, Setton said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49084605

Once again, we have a PM who has not been chosen by the electorate. Johnson's support represents less than 0.15% of the population, yet he will dictate parliamentary business for the foreseeable future. 

If this was thought to be in anyway illegal or morally wrong then parliament could have legislated against a new leader being selected by a party without having to call an election.

The fact is no incumbent government or opposition party has thought it necessary to change this practice in the past. 

Complaining now just sounds like sour grapes, which of course it is. 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RAyMO
1 hour ago, Setton said:

yet he will dictate parliamentary business for the foreseeable future. 

doubt it - couple of months tops then the Tories even with the DUP will not have a majority.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
1 hour ago, Setton said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49084605

Once again, we have a PM who has not been chosen by the electorate. Johnson's support represents less than 0.15% of the population, yet he will dictate parliamentary business for the foreseeable future. 

The electorate choose the party not the leader.

He is popular with Tory Party members (I am one, so I know) and got about 66% of their votes. Dont distort by claiming that only they support him. As party members only they were allowed to vote for him which is different. By your logical we could claim Corbyn only has 0.15% support of the population too when in reality more than 30% of people will vote for him in the next General Election.

Boris will no doubt make it to near the end of his 3 months. As a No-Deal Brexit looms without any other solution then Parliament will pass its vote of no confidence. Boris is about to go down as the shortest reigning PM in UK history.....

Unless there is an intervention by the Queen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
22 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Complaining now just sounds like sour grapes, which of course it is. 

Not really, considering that many who are both for and against Boris voiced the same opinion when it happened with Gordon Brown. It's simply undemocratic. While we have no Prime Minister election, there is an understanding that when we vote in a general election we are voting for the party's leader to lead the country. That this process can be bypassed is just wrong.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
L.A.T.1961
7 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Not really, considering that many who are both for and against Boris voiced the same opinion when it happened with Gordon Brown. It's simply undemocratic. While we have no Prime Minister election, there is an understanding that when we vote in a general election we are voting for the party's leader to lead the country. That this process can be bypassed is just wrong.

If it is undemocratic then why have 650 MPs sitting in parliament not seen this, apparently, obvious fault with the system and changed it ?  

The labour party and LIbDems/SNP could decide today that this practice is so obnoxious they will unilaterally pledge not to do it in future and push to change legislation to make it law.

But I very much doubt this will happen, or the TV/press make this challenge to those complaining today.

Labour Ect would not tie their own hands and disadvantage themselves, irrespective of the current rhetoric.  ;) 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
1 minute ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

If it is undemocratic then why have 650 MPs sitting in parliament not seen this, apparently, obvious fault with the system and changed it ?  

The labour party and LIbDems/SNP could decide today that this practice is so obnoxious they will unilaterally pledge not to do it in future and push to change legislation to make it law.

But I very much doubt this will happen, or the TV/press make this challenge to those complaining today.

Labour Ect would not tie their own hands and disadvantage themselves, irrespective of the current rhetoric.  ;) 

That the practice isn't abolished has no bearing on whether or not it's democratic. One is not dependant on the other.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dumbledore the Awesome

Oh, I think there's already a thread about this. 

Can it get any more stupid 

I haven't actually looked at it, but I presume that must be what it's about. :mellow: 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RAyMO
1 hour ago, ExpandMyMind said:

This will lead directly to Scottish independence. I'm not sure if people down south are aware of just how hated Boris Johnson is up here.

The whole Brexit issue is a boon to nationalists, well here in NI at least.

I have even come across nationalists arguing that fellow nationalists should vote for pro Brexit parties or Brexit in a referendum as a way to further their aims.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dumbledore the Awesome
52 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

If this was thought to be in anyway illegal or morally wrong then parliament could have legislated against a new leader being selected by a party without having to call an election.

The fact is no incumbent government or opposition party has thought it necessary to change this practice in the past. 

Complaining now just sounds like sour grapes, which of course it is. 

 

Let me see now, let me see if I can guess. You see nothing to complain about regarding this absurd feudal system because it's a Conservative leader that's being foisted upon us without anyone except members of the Conservative party having any say in it whatsoever. If, however, it had been a Labour prime minister, then would I be right in suspecting the howls of outrage and indignation would be audible from here to Hadrian's Wall? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
L.A.T.1961
8 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

Let me see now, let me see if I can guess. You see nothing to complain about regarding this absurd feudal system because it's a Conservative leader that's being foisted upon us without anyone except members of the Conservative party having any say in it whatsoever. If, however, it had been a Labour prime minister, then would I be right in suspecting the howls of outrage and indignation would be audible from here to Hadrian's Wall? 

Not really, I didn't think it a big issue when Brown dodged an internal leadership campaign and was then elected as party leader and PM.

All these things tend to come out in the wash. It only becomes unfair/unreasonable when one side can do it and not another.  

I assume you would like to see this option available to all except the Tory's ;)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn

I was not particularly impressed with either candidate, and i'm starting to think the whole system is rigged. Tory, Labour, Lib Dems and the Civil Service are all one of the same. Boris becoming PM is just another fudge. If we want Brexit then we need to get rid of the Tory Govt, and not electing Labour or Lib Dems, The only true Brexit Party is THE Brexit Party. Boris and the Fudge agreement mkII is on the way.

The only joy of today is the response by the left feck tarts on here and those further afield.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Impedancer
Posted (edited)

this must be Trumps unknown brother. From what i understand He was not elected by the people to become mp it was his own party who elected him. 

Edited by Impedancer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Impedancer
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Piney said:

Donald Trump's defective clone is now PM. :lol:

......maybe going back to China is a better idea than going back to the U.K. :yes:

Yep :) cause soon they dont want any forigners to even visit the good old blighty. :P

Edited by Impedancer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn

Boris is better than May or Corbyn. And they are the other options. Best choice out of the three I feel. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn
3 hours ago, Setton said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49084605

Once again, we have a PM who has not been chosen by the electorate. Johnson's support represents less than 0.15% of the population, yet he will dictate parliamentary business for the foreseeable future. 

Never Concerned you when EU presidents where selected by 0.003%. Of the population. 

  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
3 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

If this was thought to be in anyway illegal or morally wrong then parliament could have legislated against a new leader being selected by a party without having to call an election.

The fact is no incumbent government or opposition party has thought it necessary to change this practice in the past. 

Complaining now just sounds like sour grapes, which of course it is. 

 

Firstly, the opposition can't legislate on it. The government controls Parliamentary business. Secondly, why would a party legislate against it when they also benefit? That doesn't make it right. 

And on your final point, you might have one if I hadn't also raised the issue when Theresa May and Gordon Brown became PM in the same way. Which I did. 

3 hours ago, RAyMO said:

doubt it - couple of months tops then the Tories even with the DUP will not have a majority.

The Quitters are in charge - the foreseeable future could be as short as tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

The electorate choose the party not the leader.

Yes, funnily enough I am aware of the system. The system is undemocratic. No wonder you support it. 

Quote

He is popular with Tory Party members (I am one, so I know) and got about 66% of their votes. Dont distort by claiming that only they support him. As party members only they were allowed to vote for him which is different. By your logical we could claim Corbyn only has 0.15% support of the population too when in reality more than 30% of people will vote for him in the next General Election.

You could claim that but you'd be an idiot. 30% of the electorate have backed Corbyn's vision for Britain. 37% backed May's. 0.15% have backed Johnson's. 

Quote

Boris will no doubt make it to near the end of his 3 months. As a No-Deal Brexit looms without any other solution then Parliament will pass its vote of no confidence. Boris is about to go down as the shortest reigning PM in UK history.....

Hope springs eternal. 

24 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Never Concerned you when EU presidents where selected by 0.003%. Of the population. 

It did actually, but that doesn't suit your fantasy narrative does it? 

Admittedly it bothers me less because they don't get to dictate the direction my country goes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn
34 minutes ago, Setton said:

It did actually, but that doesn't suit your fantasy narrative does it? 

Admittedly it bothers me less because they don't get to dictate the direction my country goes. 

poppycock.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
odas
4 hours ago, Piney said:

Donald Trump's defective clone is now PM. :lol:

......maybe going back to China is a better idea than going back to the U.K. :yes:

Does it get any more defective then Trump? 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly

Well done Boris, we'll have to see if you can beat Nigel.

.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
32 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

Well done Boris, we'll have to see if you can beat Nigel.

I swear blind Trump and Boris are twins lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
51 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

poppycock.

Fantasist :)

  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.