Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boris Johnson to become PM

Setton

11 minutes ago, Setton said:

Just going to leave this here. 

FB_IMG_1563955133843.jpg

All politicians say that when in opposition and fancy their chances in a General Election.

And those in govt reply with we dont have a presidential style election. We elect parties and whoever the leader of the party is becomes the PM.

Its hardly a revelation.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

This will lead directly to Scottish independence. I'm not sure if people down south are aware of just how hated Boris Johnson is up here.

Probably on a par with how much us down here hate that bloody Sturgeon woman. (or wee Jimmy Crankie as she is known around here)

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

This will lead directly to Scottish independence. I'm not sure if people down south are aware of just how hated Boris Johnson is up here.

We can't be held to ransom by the Scots on how we vote, if you want to leave GO!

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Probably on a par with how much us down here hate that bloody Sturgeon woman. (or wee Jimmy Crankie as she is known around here)

I doubt it.

The TNS survey of almost 1200 adults in Great Britain looked at the perceptions of the British public towards Nicola Sturgeon as leader of the SNP. In both of the televised leaders’ debates, the feedback from the ‘snapshot’ polls and indeed the wider media commentary was extremely positive – not only within Scotland but throughout the rest of Great Britain. Analysis that TNS has conducted of the coverage on social media confirmed the positive reaction to her performance. Consequently, it is not surprising that when asked how they would rate her performance as leader of the SNP, she received a strong endorsement – 51% gave her a positive rating and 18% a negative rating – a net score of +33. As featured in Table 1, this compares very favourably with the performance of all of the other party leaders – David Cameron and Nigel Farage being the other leaders with positive net scores. Indeed, her high positive rating exceeds anything we have previously recorded in similar questions asked of party leaders.

Interestingly, those aged over 55 years of age were more likely to give Nicola Sturgeon a higher rating than younger people, aged under 25. Not surprisingly, amongst the sample of Scots, her positive rating increased to 70% with 15% giving her a negative rating – a net score +55. In direct contrast, Ed Milliband’s net score amongst Scots was -2 and for David Cameron it was -7.

The thing is, she's actually a really good politician who properly represents her people (unlike Boris, who almost exclusively represents only the rich elite).

Reuters reports that “hedge fund managers, the chairman of a football club, a director of companies based in tax havens, and a fox hunting enthusiast are among the donors who have poured hundreds of thousands of pounds into Johnson’s campaign”.

The former London mayor’s most recent haul includes a donation of £100,000 from Jon Moynihan, a “strongly pro-Brexit venture capitalist,” says The Guardian, “who played a leading role in the finances of the official Vote Leave campaign”.

Earlier this month, The Daily Mirror reported that Johnson had also received money from a billionaire family behind a development he approved while mayor of London.

Johnson controversially gave the nod to Westminster council’s recommendation for the £100 million redevelopment of Millbank Tower by the Reuben brothers, despite the scheme being labelled “unacceptable” at the time as it contained no social housing. Johnson revealed in July he has accepted £50,000 in donations from one of the brothers James Reuben.

(You guys are cheering at the appointment of another tool of the establishment, when you've been criticising (along with everyone else) the system for this very thing for years.)

Sturgeon is also incredibly sharp and highly intelligent, which is basically the opposite of Boris. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

We can't be held to ransom by the Scots on how we vote, if you want to leave GO!

I think it'll definitely happen. The only reason it didn't in the previous referendum was due to older voters. The combination of Leave voters coming of age, older voters dying off and other Stay voters witnessing the government reneging on the promises made will swing the balance.

I'm done with it. The wars, the gutting of the NHS, the rampant xenophobia and ethnocentrism, the paid education, the London policies that completely disregard the needs of the north (and I'm including much of England in that) and a hundred other things, both little and large.

I have nothing against English people (with the exception of those who have a problem with Scots, some of whom have made their views clear on this forum), and I'd wish you well if it happened - just as I'd wish my own country well - but I'm so completely ****ing done with Westminster.

3 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

How old is this.

Fair point. I thought it was 2018, but it's 2015. 

From 2017:

But respondents UK-wide took a more favourable view of Davidson’s performance, with a mean score of 38.1. The First Minister scored 32.4.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/poll-nicola-sturgeon-enjoys-highest-approval-in-scotland-1-4416172

No matter how many polls take into account English opinion of her, I highly doubt it will come anywhere near to how unfavourably Boris is viewed up here.

A Panelbase poll in the Sunday Times Scotland this weekend found support for independence would jump to 53% if Johnson became prime minister, giving the yes campaign a six-point lead. It found he has a popularity rating among Scottish voters of -37, a worse rating than Nigel Farage.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/23/boris-johnson-as-pm-would-be-catastrophe-for-uk-say-scottish-tories

His 'approval' rating is minus 37. 

That article covers the topic of my original point, for anyone who's interested. There's a very real possibility that Boris just cost the UK Scotland.

2 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

That article covers the topic of my original point, for anyone who's interested. There's a very real possibility that Boris just cost the UK Scotland.

Good luck with the border.

10 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

Good luck with the border.

In what way?

22 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Why stop at Scotland?  I can see Ireland getting ready to reunify over hard borders.  I can also see England chucking out Wales for getting them into this mess in the first place.  Putin must be rubbing his hands with glee to see the Russia's old enemy, the UK, disemboweling itself.

Edited by Alchopwn

1 minute ago, Alchopwn said:

Why stop at Scotland?  I can see Ireland getting ready to reunify over hard borders.  I can also see England chucking out Wales for getting them into this mess in the first place.  Putin must be rubbing his hands with glee.

I can definitely see Ireland reunification in the future but why pick on Wales? :lol:

3 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I can definitely see Ireland reunification in the future but why pick on Wales? :lol:

The Welsh were the casting vote in favor of Brexit because they harbor a disproportionate number of parochials and xenophobes.  I hope that clears that up.B)

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

In what way?

If you want to stay under the EU yoke and manage to make a deal with them (you're to small to have any say, you'll do as they say) there will be a border between England and Scotland.

1 minute ago, hetrodoxly said:

If you want to stay under the EU yoke and manage to make a deal with them (you're to small to have any say, you'll do as they say) there will be a border between England and Scotland.

Nah, we'd never stop you guys from escaping. You're welcome here ;)

15 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Direction of travel for the EU is clear.

15 hours ago, Setton said:

In your fantasy land. 

Guys, guys, calm down. Should we break open the Skripal case again to get you two Brits back on thesame side of the argument, pacify your little tiff?

Btw, why is it Corbyn is regarded to negatively by so many? Why on gods green earth would one prefer BoJo to someone like Corbyn.. I dont get it.

3 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Nah, we'd never stop you guys from escaping. You're welcome here ;)

Like Ireland It won't be your decision.

10 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

pretty much confirmed

Is that so. 24/06/2019

There is “absolutely no evidence” that Russia used Facebook to influence the outcome of the EU referendum, Sir Nick Clegg has insisted.

The former deputy prime minister said the social media company had analysed its data and found no “significant attempt by outside forces” to sway the Brexit vote.

He also dismissed suggestions that Cambridge Analytica, which harvested the data of up to 87 million Facebook users, had influenced the UK’s decision to leave the EU.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/facebook-nick-clegg-russia-interference-brexit-eu-referendum-a8971656.html

16 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

The Welsh were the casting vote in favor of Brexit because they harbor a disproportionate number of parochials and xenophobes.  I hope that clears that up.B)

Just a big steaming pile of cow poo, you know nothing about the Welsh or Wales.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Phaeton80 said:

Btw, why is it Corbyn is regarded to negatively by so many?

left of left policies, historical baggage (IRA, Hezbollah), poor at holding government to account (PMQs), two faced on Brexit. 

If Momentum could let Corbyn fall, a new leader like Keir Stammer might have a reasonable impact.

22 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

yip to keep the northern English in. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

Is that so. 24/06/2019

There is “absolutely no evidence” that Russia used Facebook to influence the outcome of the EU referendum, Sir Nick Clegg has insisted.

The former deputy prime minister said the social media company had analysed its data and found no “significant attempt by outside forces” to sway the Brexit vote.

He also dismissed suggestions that Cambridge Analytica, which harvested the data of up to 87 million Facebook users, had influenced the UK’s decision to leave the EU.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/facebook-nick-clegg-russia-interference-brexit-eu-referendum-a8971656.html

That's, uh, one man's opinion who's taking the lead from probably the most untrustworthy western social media corporation.

I don't know how much of an impact the Russians had, but there is evidence of their involvement.

24 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

Is that Taffy racism going on right there?

It was just slightly in favour of leave in Wales. Scotland and Northern Ireland were clear remain. England outside of London was clear leave, and London was remain.

Funnily enough if we had to ditch Scotland to get out I would be all for that. Just so long as they realise it is UK oil, not Scottish, and therefore they only get a share of it not the whole lot.

6 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

left of left policies, historical baggage (IRA, Hezbollah), poor at holding government to account (PMQs), two faced on Brexit. 

If Momentum could let Corbyn fall, a new leader like Keir Stammer might have a reasonable impact.

I'd hate to take too much of your time, but could you be more specific? Could you throw up some concrete examples of the mentioned fails?

Did he promote some ridiculous left policies? Did he defend IRA / Hezbollah in some way?