Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Video Game Industry Can't Go On Like This

Inversion5

On 10/13/2019 at 5:49 AM, Tatetopa said:

What are your thoughts on MMO's?

I've played Arenanet's Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 for many many years.  The only trouble is nowadays is, they have a gemstore which is just recoloured skins for sale at ridiculous prices and yet people buy them.  Simply for fashion wars etc.  It's kinda like World of Warcraft or vice versa.  I have literally spent thousands of dollars on Guild Wars 2.  Guild Wars the original game and xpacs had in-game trading and Anet didn't cash in on it like they do now with Guild Wars 2.  It's annoying because the entire game and each Living Story release they do, has just become a grindfest at best.  I've currently banned myself from playing it.  I get far too competitive in world vs world, pvp and the fashion wars parts of the game. It used to be nothing for me to spend $500 in real life money to buy gems to spend in the gemstore or cash into gold in-game so I could buy mats to make legendary weps, instead of farming them.  I am a Guild Wars addict. 

That said, the guild wars community is very helpful to new players.  There are your normal trolls in each area of the game, but there is definitely something for everyone to play.  Whether you like story mode, pve, pvp, wvw, even roleplayers!  Yes, there is something for everyone and they've gotten so progressive over the years, they have gay characters in their storyline. 

I'm currently playing the Uncharted series of games on ps4 and loving them for something different.  I feel like I'm Alexios in Assassin's Creed Odyssey (which I loved that game!) :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't play these games but I watch my grandson and his friends play a war like game where everyone is on a motorcycle or in a car.  They talk to each other over the net.  When they were in middle school they used to crack me up because they would talk about the girls in their class.  Now they talk about the game (they are 17).  My younger two grandsons play minecraft.  They spend their time building things and are not allowed to interact with anyone on the game.

I watched a show that Hasan Minhoj did about the gaming industry but it was how the programmers are constantly shafted and expected to work round the clock for "crunch time" and then fired when the game is in testing.  It is a sweat shop industry and that needs to change.  If the players would boycott the games made by the worst offending companies for one  month it would make a difference because of what @Gwynbleidd said, buying stuff to make the game more fun or to win more levels.  It would hit them in the pouch and they might treat  the programmers better.  Nowdays, being a database programmer, I was shocked at how the game programmers are treated.  Any other industry (except medical) treats programmers like valued employees.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Gwynbleidd said:

've played Arenanet's Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 for many many years.  The only trouble is nowadays is, they have a gemstore which is just recoloured skins for sale at ridiculous prices and yet people buy them.  Simply for fashion wars etc.  It's kinda like World of Warcraft or vice versa.  I have literally spent thousands of dollars on Guild Wars 2.  Guild Wars the original game and xpacs had in-game trading and Anet didn't cash in on it like they do now with Guild Wars 2.  It's annoying because the entire game and each Living Story release they do, has just become a grindfest at best.  I've currently banned myself from playing it.  I get far too competitive in world vs world, pvp and the fashion wars parts of the game. It used to be nothing for me to spend $500 in real life money to buy gems to spend in the gemstore or cash into gold in-game so I could buy mats to make legendary weps, instead of farming them.  I am a Guild Wars addict. 

That said, the guild wars community is very helpful to new players.  There are your normal trolls in each area of the game, but there is definitely something for everyone to play.  Whether you like story mode, pve, pvp, wvw, even roleplayers!  Yes, there is something for everyone and they've gotten so progressive over the years, they have gay characters in their storyline. 

I'm currently playing the Uncharted series of games on ps4 and loving them for something different.  I feel like I'm Alexios in Assassin's Creed Odyssey (which I loved that game!)

Thank you, I haven't tried GW but maybe I should.  I can't fault you for buying what you enjoy.  Just with the sub over the last 8 years I sunk a thousand bucks  into WOW.   I am a disappointment to their accountants though.  If I can't win it in the game, I don't buy it. Slightly better than passively being entertained, at least you participate in creating the story.  Your mind stays active but not your body.  The older I get the more I need to move around more just to keep the blood pumping.  Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Thank you, I haven't tried GW but maybe I should. 

You're welcome and NO don't try it!  Hahaha Guild Wars is like WOW - if you spent real life money on WOW, you'll probably find you'll spend real life money on Guild Wars.  LOL :lol:

But if you feel you've got great self control, you can play the trial version I believe - just to see if you like it.  In fact, a lot of people play the free version and never ever buy the xpacs to explore the rest of the story.  The thing with Guild Wars is, if you don't login for a while, they release these freebie Living Story episodes (just another pve part of gameplay) and when you login next, you'll find that you missed the last part of the story and you have to go to the gemstore to buy that part of it. Yet another money making exercise for Anet. 

I am a disappointment to their accountants though.  If I can't win it in the game, I don't buy it.

This is great then - you should be right! LOL

I have absolutely no self restraint when it comes to Guild Wars so I try to stay away from it now as much as I can.  I play it on and off.  If I get into the social side of it, I'll play for much longer and that takes up vital real life time so I opt to stay out of the social side now.  I did go back last month and play the latest Living Story, but as I said in another post, that's 3 hours I'll never get back.  It was so boring. But I do it so I don't have to pay for it down the track.  :lol:

The older I get the more I need to move around more just to keep the blood pumping. 

I completely understand - you have to find the right balance that works with your lifestyle....in my case, I used to play after the kids went to sleep early (when they were little) as I'd be too busy with life in the daytime etc. Now that they're bigger, they play their own games in amongst sports, scouts and school.  So my Husband and I play our games late at night after the kids have gone to sleep. On our computers ie. I just realised that sounded a little risque LOL

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Gwynbleidd said:

I completely understand - you have to find the right balance that works with your lifestyle....in my case, I used to play after the kids went to sleep early (when they were little) as I'd be too busy with life in the daytime etc. Now that they're bigger, they play their own games in amongst sports, scouts and school.  So my Husband and I play our games late at night after the kids have gone to sleep. On our computers ie. I just realised that sounded a little risque LOL

We do the same, but now late means 11:00 not 2AM.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

We do the same, but now late means 11:00 not 2AM.

Hahaha same here!  I can't believe I used to stay up till 3.30 am and still get up to get the kids off to school at 7am :o 

The hassle of aging :P LOL

• Haha 2

I remember on weekends during middle and high school staying up till 4-5 AM playing my PlayStation. Now these days I only play when I have time.