Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysteriously stove burner turns on

Lola1488

One year of mothers passing standing in kitchen to the right of stove taking my vitamins  almost done ( so I would have return to finish) when my cell phone rings   Went over to counter to answer my phone for less than 2 minutes turning my back to the stove.  When I turned around the stove burner was bright red on high.  This stove burner has the knob that has to be pushed in to turn on and when turned on becomes red in a few seconds. My husband was in another room and he didn’t turn it on.  Ran the cameras back and no one was near the stove when it was turned on.  Nor could we see anyone or any movement.   Any explanation of this ? Anyone have this same experience?  Any explanation?   The few years before she passed she would forget and leave the burners on high , I would tell her be careful she will burn the house down 

Edited by Lola1488
Words
  • Like 1

So when you reviewed the footage did you SEE the knob push in and turn to start the burner?  And why do you have cameras set up in your kitchen to film the stove?  Just curious.

Edited by ScotDeerie
addition
  • Like 1

The cameras film the whole house. So we were able to see the stove.  No we could not see the knob turning.  Just showed me beside the stove( taking my vitamins)I walked away turning my back to the stove for less than 2 mins turned back around to a bright red burner on high 

• Like 1

I had a similar experience when I lived in an apartment in the 70's.  The pilot light would not stay lit on the gas stove.  The right front burner would always be in the on position even after I turned it to the off position.  I had the pilot light fixed and it never did that any more.  Many people saw a ghost in that apartment, including me.  Maybe your mother is trying to warn you of something.

• Like 1

So you bumped it when you walked by and didn't realize, I've done that before on mine. Yes, it's possible- mine has to be pushed in and turned as well, somehow I managed to do it without knowing.

Do you really think your mom would do something so unsafe as to turn on a red hot burner as a way of saying "hi"?

Edited by moonman

No I didn’t bump it. The cameras showed I did not go near the stove knob.  If it was her she knew I would be returning back due to had had not finished taking my vitamins that were to the right of the stove on the counter and only turned around for less than a minute  so if it was her she did it in a safe way 

I've not had that particular experience with a stove, but have had many other kinds of mysterious experiences involving the unexplained movements of objects, and controls on devices.

My TV turned itself off (not a circuit breaker opening). Knob that turns it on had to be pressed in again to turn it back on.

Valuable article lost in high grass, later found clipped to clothes-drying line. Gate locked, no one of the premises claiming responsibility.

Wire radio aerial with a pinch clip (alligator clip) on the indoor end found clipped to a piece of clothing in a bedroom.

A small, well-made ring found atop a bale of straw, almost as if dropped from the sky. No one around here lost such a ring. 

The world is stranger than we know.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Mysteriously stove burner turns on

Could be a faulty knob unit.

Last fall out in our shop I hung a brand new plug in adapter attached to the wall that had 10 sockets and an on and off switch. It was simpler at the the time than running afew wall plugs over there.  I would turn the lights on by turning on the switch on the adapter. I came in the shop a few mornings and noticed the lights on and thought that odd. Then one morning I walked in and the lights were on and the grinder was running full blast. It put chills up my spine and thoughts of Ghost as there was no way anyone could have gotten into the shop as it was locked tighter than a drum.

I had simply got done grinding the day before and turned off the wall adapter instead of turning off the grinder, then the lights.

I found that I could almost blow on the switch on the wall adapter to turn it on it was so weak, and temperature changes no doubt triggered it on, when I had turned it off. A very mundane experience it turns out.

• Like 4

@Lola1488

To me, this sounds like a really sweet story. Your mother did something you would instantly recognize as her handiwork.  It's her way of saying: "I'm gone, but not far".  She can still visit you after passing over, so be glad that you have her company and support.

If you feel she's around, talk to her, whether you get an answer or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you. I did find it ironic that on the one year of her passing this unexplained happens and the one thing(a burner on) that I always told her not to do,it happens on this day .  I have watched the footage from the camera several times now and see no one near the knobs on the stove.  The stove is only 3yrs old and this has never happened . 

• Like 1

Hi Lola

A lot of the newer stoves have a circuit board that can cause problems. Last winter the same thing happened to me the stove just turned itself on so I replaced the stove.

jmccr8

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lola1488 said:

Thank you. I did find it ironic that on the one year of her passing this unexplained happens

Was it like an anniversary date or something.

Also was the knob turned physically even though no one seemed to have done it? It would seem the physical knob (the kind that needs to be pressed in and turned)  movement  is hard to blame on a random electrical or circuit  glitch.

I'll make mother a top suspect as this also seems to have symbolic meaning.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1

What kind of stove is it? I have a glass top that I have accidentally turned on by placing groceries (case of dog food). I had no idea I turned it on until I smelled something burning. It was the cardboard box the dog food came in.  

When was the last time the stove was use?

I just checked my stove, I turned the burner on high. It turned red for a little while then it stopped, went dark for a little bit and then turned red again. It didn’t stay red the entire time. Maybe, if it had been used earlier it wasn't shut off completely and you just happened to catch it turning red again.

Yes it was the one year anniversary of my mother passing.  Yes the knob was physical turned on high.  The stove had not been used in 5 days. I was near the counter but not the stove so I could not have even have touched the knob. My husband and I have now watched the cameras tapes back several times and it shows me turning my back to answer my cell phone and 2min later turned around to a bright red burner on. No one in the kitchen but me. Tried to see if we could see the knob turn but the cameras don’t soom in that close to see 

55 minutes ago, Lola1488 said:

Yes it was the one year anniversary of my mother passing.  Yes the knob was physical turned on high.  The stove had not been used in 5 days. I was near the counter but not the stove so I could not have even have touched the knob. My husband and I have now watched the cameras tapes back several times and it shows me turning my back to answer my cell phone and 2min later turned around to a bright red burner on. No one in the kitchen but me. Tried to see if we could see the knob turn but the cameras don’t soom in that close to see 

Well, it seems like the argument for the paranormal is quite strong here. 

• Like 2

On 7/23/2019 at 3:25 PM, South Alabam said:

Could be a faulty knob unit.

Or maybe someone didn't turn the switch completely to the off position and the vibrations of someone being near the stove/walking around moved it enough to start the burner back up.

• Thanks 2

On 7/23/2019 at 7:48 PM, papageorge1 said:

I'll make mother a top suspect as this also seems to have symbolic meaning.

If the afterlife consists of hanging around your kids and doing cheap parlor tricks then I'm opting for going straight to eternal darkness and feeding the worms.  Ugh. How awful.

On 7/24/2019 at 12:56 PM, Lola1488 said:

Is it the same burner or different ones?

1 hour ago, ScotDeerie said:

If the afterlife consists of hanging around your kids and doing cheap parlor tricks then I'm opting for going straight to eternal darkness and feeding the worms.  Ugh. How awful.

How about they have a rich existence on the astral plane with lasting affection for those left behind and wish to show that affection with a sign that says ‘this is me still thinking of you’.

11 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

How about they have a rich existence on the astral plane with lasting affection for those left behind and wish to show that affection with a sign that says ‘this is me still thinking of you’.

What? They can't see future lotto numbers in their rich existence on the astral plane? I mean if you REALLY want to help out the kids, move beyond the cheap tricks into something that says, "I *really* am thinking of you, sweetie!  Here's several mil to party with.  Have fun!   Love, Mom. "  I can't recall ever thinking, "I wish mom would turn on a burner so I know she's thinking of me..."   YMMV

15 hours ago, ScotDeerie said:

I don’t have kids and it wasn’t a cheap parlor trick. It was only one burner, never happened before and hasn’t happened since   Thanks for the dark comments 

2 minutes ago, Lola1488 said:

I don’t have kids and it wasn’t a cheap parlor trick. It was only one burner, never happened before and hasn’t happened since   Thanks for the dark comments 

You're very welcome. Don't forget to tip your waiter.

2 hours ago, ScotDeerie said:

What? They can't see future lotto numbers in their rich existence on the astral plane? I mean if you REALLY want to help out the kids, move beyond the cheap tricks into something that says, "I *really* am thinking of you, sweetie!  Here's several mil to party with.  Have fun!   Love, Mom. "  I can't recall ever thinking, "I wish mom would turn on a burner so I know she's thinking of me..."   YMMV

I wasn’t thinking I wish my mom would turn the stove on.  I actually wasn’t thinking for her to do anything. I really don’t believe in any astral plane.  This is something I or anyone can explain.  Only came to this site to see if anyone else has had this experience 

1 minute ago, Lola1488 said:

I wasn’t thinking I wish my mom would turn the stove on.  I actually wasn’t thinking for her to do anything. I really don’t believe in any astral plane.  This is something I or anyone can explain.  Only came to this site to see if anyone else has had this experience 

1. I wasn't talking to you

2. People ARE giving you explanations. You're not listening.

3 hours ago, ScotDeerie said:

People in the astral plane are not omniscient and omnipotent over the physical plane but with effort are capable of some way of giving a sign that they're still around.

• Like 1